SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #9,827 of 15,987
As of 8.30pm US ET, Sony sent an email that ZX707 Walkman® ZX Series is back in stock.

and by 10.30pm ET it is out of stock again
I expect this might be a goldmine for them as the price and Sony name and there’s no more iPods could be a winning combination

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #9,828 of 15,987
So I've been enjoying 1AM2 a lot and thinking about selling it and upgrade to 1ZM2, but now considering to own both instead.

What I have in mind is that 1ZM2 for home use while 1AM2 would be permanently kept and used at work and when travelling.

I'm on the fence coz not sure if 1ZM2 is significantly better than 1AM2 and LPGT which I also enjoy using.

Thoughts?

Hi, I bought the WM1ZM2 last year after having used the earlier gen NW1 (the black cheaper model to the previous WM1Z which I had set my eyes on but not wallet). The sound is… fantastic. As much as I love the NW1 (my other player is the QP2R Chinese DAP which is pretty good but has some scrollwheel drawbacks) for jazz, the new WM1ZM2 is way better in several directions and the intimacy of sound is very significantly better than the previous cheaper model…(that model is excellent value IMO).

I wonder if anyone can feedback on how the WM1ZM2 sounds with Sennheiser HD800 as I am toying with buying balanced leads for my old HD800 to listen on the new DAP? Also how the Sony MDR-1Z headphones sound as comparison with this DAP. Just hats off singularly to Sony engineers responsible for this new model. It is sheer pleasure to me after going through several daps including the nice Hifiman 901, 801, some disappointing A&Ks etc in the last 20+ years.

Thanks.

PS I use my WM1ZM2 with my old JHA13R2 Pro and balanced cables/4.4mm socket and can vouch that these in ears are superb sounding with this DAP for jazz.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #9,830 of 15,987
Do files still need to be in a Music folder before scanning?
Yes most definitely. Also I recommend to format the microSD card using the Walkman android settings for the first time before transferring files into the card.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #9,831 of 15,987
Yes most definitely. Also I recommend to format the microSD card using the Walkman android settings for the first time before transferring files into the card.
It's too much work, if it scanns all the files ok i guess there's no real benefit from formatting?

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #9,833 of 15,987
https://www.moon-audio.com/sony-nw-wm1zm2-walkman-music-player-review

I would suggest that you should NOT follow this moon audio article to use APKPure and just stick to Google play store and it’s certified app system:
F48FB42F-8546-4D4F-B2B1-3ED50B16CE5C.jpeg

Reasons:
https://www.hidemytraffic.com/what-is-apkpure-and-is-apkpure-safe/

Risks of Using APKPure​

Several risk factors make using APKPure pose a significant danger to its users. While these risks don't mean a definite hack of your device, the threat increases as you download and install more apps from APKPure.

Unrestricted Access to Developers​

Unlike the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, APKPure doesn't vet apps comprehensively. It is in APKPure's interest to get as many apps online as possible. While its basic vetting can catch some simple dangers, complex threats online today can easily bypass these checks.

Outdated Apps​

APKPure does not always field the newest version of official apps. You can also find some outdated apps or even those of varying versions. The result is that nobody knows for sure if they're getting an app that poses a high risk of security compromise.

APKPure is an Unofficial Source​

Since APKPure isn't an official Google source, some primary developers may not list their apps here. There is a risk of third parties uploading hacked versions of authorized apps and masquerading as being the original version.

Poor Security Track Record​

Even the APKPure app itself included Malware. Notably, in 2021, APKPure version 3.17.18 came with an advertisement SDK with a Trojan. Several leading cybersecurity companies documented the incident.
You can also use fdroid + auto app updater for Spotify at least (not sure about other apps). I plan to completely remove play store when I get my AM2. Will probably use the generic android debloat tool which I'm sure is just a script with a bunch of package manager commands so hopefully it's easy to modify it. Also I've been using APKPure and other alternative sources of apps for years and it's all been fine. Maybe I've been lucky.

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #9,834 of 15,987
wm1zm2 不知道會不會跟上android 12
At this point in time, I highly doubt Sony will update the OS to 12. Nothing much to be gained. There is also a likelihood that new OS versions can cause issues and bugs. If you look at how Sony Xperia development team does things, they always take a much longer time before their smartphone gets an android version change and usually they are less buggy. My experience with LG updating the android version is not as great, in fact the upgrade caused slowdowns instead of being better, likely the new UI made the gpu worked harder or LG just sucked at optimisation or slowdown the phone to make you buy their new ones but anyway LG is out of the smartphone business all together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #9,835 of 15,987
At this point in time, I highly doubt Sony will update the OS to 12. Nothing much to be gained. There is also a likelihood that new OS versions can cause issues and bugs. If you look at how Sony Xperia development team does things, they always take a much longer time before their smartphone gets an android version change and usually they are less buggy. My experience with LG updating the android version is not as great, in fact the upgrade caused slowdowns instead of being better, likely the new UI made the gpu worked harder or LG just sucked at optimisation or slowdown the phone to make you buy their new ones but anyway LG is out of the smartphone business all together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixe...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

There will always be defects in software it just depends on if there's the budget/resources to fix those bugs. Totally disagree with the sentiment there's nothing much to be gained.

And there have been plenty of XPERIA phones that have released unusable firmware which they never fixed in the end.

The more major OS upgrades they give us (which I'm guessing will be 0) the longer the device will maintain compatibility with apps.

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #9,836 of 15,987
Have Sony ever performed a major Android version upgrade on their Walkman devices? I don’t remember one for the ZX507/A105 series. Especially seeing as this shares a very similar SOC to that series of systems

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #9,837 of 15,987
my bents tpu case came in, really well made!

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #9,838 of 15,987
Have Sony ever performed a major Android version upgrade on their Walkman devices? I don’t remember one for the ZX507/A105 series. Especially seeing as this shares a very similar SOC to that series of systems
Not that I'm aware of, no full version number upgrades. I expect NW1AM2/NW1ZM2 to stay at OS 11

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #9,840 of 15,987
By the time which the streaming apps start to require new android OS version to function, maybe somewhere in 2027, by that time if assuming the World does not end in mutually assured self destruction, there would have be a new WM1Z/AM3 in the works.

What is drastically new in the android 12 that is of concern to sound quality or operational performance of the Walkman? I this is what I meant by nothing much to be gain. And even if updated to the new OS, without performing debloating, it’s very highly likely that it is not going any faster and probably even slower given how much Google likes to add new methods to spy on you or they like to put it as “Usage statistics”.

By stripping down the bloatware, it’s already super fast for offline playback. And I highly doubt there’s any significant performance to be gained using android 12 on NXP soc with its A53 processor. As for the laggy streaming apps, I think the issue is with the bad software coding optimisation rather than android version being the issue, having a new OS won’t fix bad coding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back