SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #9,857 of 15,987
I have M9's instead of Z1R but with all my IEM's if comparing both A-B the ZM2 is a bit smoother and AM2 more dynamic.

I did hear the slight difference (especially with classical) but actually preferred the tunning of the A.

Is the Z worth more than 2x the A ... :sweat_smile: Err no. (IMO)

But, only you can know by comparing both really.

55yo ears in my case.

That is my thinking also, I am 48 now and wonder if the nuances between the two would be lost on me, also there is the money saving, but it also appears to be quite a bit lighter and possibly more portable for commuting. I can pick up a Japanese uncapped version for around Ā£1KGBP or so, an obvious question most likely but I take it the AM2 is a great pairing with the Z1R? I used to pair the Z1R with a Cayin N6ii which worked well for me, I am hopeful the AM2 elevates it even more.

I did AB test during canjam 2022 with IER-Z1R before purchasing ZM2 /AM2
And I agree with psikey that tuning wise, A sounds more dynamic
Z sounds more clinical (?)

I v much prefer AM2 and that's what I purchased in the end
Not to mention that it was much more cheaper

Compared to the old ZX2 that I was using previously, it is a major step update sonically
However, battery wise, it sucks compared to the old model

For commuting, i think both will be overkill, as the ambience noise will override whatever performance gain
I'm actually contemplating getting NW-A300 for transport usage... coz it's small and cute and using the AM2 at home

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #9,858 of 15,987
I did AB test during canjam 2022 with IER-Z1R before purchasing ZM2 /AM2
And I agree with psikey that tuning wise, A sounds more dynamic
Z sounds more clinical (?)

I v much prefer AM2 and that's what I purchased in the end
Not to mention that it was much more cheaper

Compared to the old ZX2 that I was using previously, it is a major step update sonically
However, battery wise, it sucks compared to the old model

For commuting, i think both will be overkill, as the ambience noise will override whatever performance gain
I'm actually contemplating getting NW-A300 for transport usage... coz it's small and cute and using the AM2 at home
To me the dynamic is both similar on Z and A, depends on the genres and instruments, the Z actually is more dynamic in deep bass situations. However, I do understand why people would think the A is more dynamic, because the Z has slower transients and longer decays/reverberations, which renders the overall signatures to be more musical and softer rather than decisively punchy. When it comes to knit and pick , the Z has a more grande soundstage, even with longer transients and decays. That right there is the case in point of being superior to 1A. But then, we are all speaking from different POV and preferences

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #9,861 of 15,987
eBay is full of them

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #9,862 of 15,987
Minimum Android versions for current versions of streaming apps:

Tidal - Android 7
Amazon Music - Android 7
Roon ARC - Android 9
Qobuz - Android 6
Spotify - Android 6
Apple Music - Android 6

Not trying to get involved in the debate, just stating facts.
Yes, but previous versions don't just stop working. That's my point. On Android, previous versions of apps still work in the way that they always did. You mat lose out on new functions of newer versions, but you don't have to worry about older versions just not working at all

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #9,863 of 15,987
Yes, but previous versions don't just stop working. That's my point. On Android, previous versions of apps still work in the way that they always did. You mat lose out on new functions of newer versions, but you don't have to worry about older versions just not working at all
Would you pay 2500 dollars for an AK 2000 or even a 1000 model with android 6?

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #9,864 of 15,987
I could have gotten the N8ii but itā€™s running version 9ā€¦ so Iā€™ll wait for next round as already years behind. If I get something today itā€™s either v11 or 12, then whatever happens happen. In a few years the OS will see so little updates and itā€™s not going to matter - from 6 to 12/13 a lot has happened

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #9,865 of 15,987
The type of tape displayed corresponds to the file type played. Which is quite clever. However all my files are the same, so I only see one tape. Would love more options, such as random :)
So far I've had 2 styles, i guess it changes with the bitrate.
Are there more people on Mac here, how do you transfer files?

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #9,866 of 15,987
So far I've had 2 styles, i guess it changes with the bitrate.
Are there more people on Mac here, how do you transfer files?
Android file transfer app

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #9,867 of 15,987
Not today....in 2016-2017 I would have

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #9,868 of 15,987
Not today....in 2016-2017 I would have
Yes but still sold for that much, the android version starts to matter when streaming is something you might/might not use. Iā€™ll likely use it less than I think, but I could have gotten a copper SP2000 for about $2000 from a dealer as I asked for a discount. Open box, but it was only taken out for pictures etc., but I just couldnā€™t make myself to do it as Iā€™d be afraid that the Android version would eventually be an issue for me.

Jan 27, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #9,869 of 15,987
Hi,

New user here. I uploaded a microSD card I got from my friend with music. However Walkman music app still says No SD card but android recognizes it. Do I have to format it and if yes then how to do it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back