SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #2,656 of 15,683
The new Walkmans have same output power as previous models, correct?
Is anyone concerned it’s not enough power to drive some iems appropriately?
For instance, my old wm1a was unable to bring VE Ely to life even balanced.

And I’d like help understanding gain.
I thought increased gain meant increased voltage. Whereas increased volume merely amplifies the signal?
I think my terminology is askew but nevertheless
Maybe this will help:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/understanding-wattage-speaker-efficiency-amplifier-loudness

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,657 of 15,683
Potentially higer noise floor with high gain. High gain uses more battery.
For the same volume with the same headphone there is no difference in battery consumption between normal and high gain

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,658 of 15,683
Clearly this is all more complicated than I imagined. However, perceived loudness or SPL is not quite what I had in mind. For instance, re my VE Ely-WM1A example, I could increase loudness appreciably but it still sounded rather anemic. Conversely, Ely paired with dx300 sounds full, fleshed out. I know dx300 is rated much higher power than WM1A, which leads me to believe this largely accounts for the difference. Not that this is the only factor, of course. Unless we need to retreat into the mysterious realm of special iem-dap pairing to account, I dunno

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #2,659 of 15,683
Clearly this is all more complicated than I imagined. However, perceived loudness or SPL is not quite what I had in mind. For instance, re my VE Ely-WM1A example, I could increase loudness appreciably but it still sounded rather anemic. Conversely, Ely paired with dx300 sounds full, fleshed out. I know dx300 is rated much higher power than WM1A, which leads me to believe this largely accounts for the difference. Not that this is the only factor, of course. Unless we need to retreat into the mysterious realm of special iem-dap pairing to account, I dunno
According to the website;
https://vision-ears.de/product/elysium

Sensitivity:

105dB SPL at 1 kHz with 1 mW input
Impedance:

16,4 Ohm ( at 1 kHz )

This iem can go up to 105db with just 1mW of power. And it only has an impedance of just 16ohm.

So I don’t think it has anything to the Walkman power output. I think it is likely due to synergy between the VE Etysium and WM1A Walkman sound signature or something else with the sound settings. Did you listen to the Walkman on the balanced connection or the single ended? The single ended connection of the Walkman doesn’t have much power at 50mW.

The WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 is capable of driving the 70mm dynamic driver of the MDR-Z1R with very strong bass on balanced, so I don’t think the Walkman will have any power handling problems with any iems.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #2,660 of 15,683
Does anyone know if one can set dpible tap to wake up screen on wm1zm2/am2?
I do not think it has one… but being android there’s always an app for that, just don’t remember it anymore but i was able to use it on the zx507 back when i still had it… not sure of its compatibility with the new walkmans. But this is also one thing i wish sony had in stock form, the double tap to wake is very useful and a third party app will not be as efficient in terms of batt life… but will still give it a try once i get my wm1am2, still waiting for it

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #2,661 of 15,683
I do not think it has one… but being android there’s always an app for that, just don’t remember it anymore but i was able to use it on the zx507 back when i still had it… not sure of its compatibility with the new walkmans. But this is also one thing i wish sony had in stock form, the double tap to wake is very useful and a third party app will not be as efficient in terms of batt life… but will still give it a try once i get my wm1am2, still waiting for it
Wakeup Touch Nexus i think is what's being looked for

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #2,663 of 15,683
It is possible to use Neutron to perform its own upsampling to 35800 or 38400 for the WM1M2. From what I am hearing, it has an extremely pure and smooth sound. My android media volume is muted so it’s not using the android audio path.
011AA3ED-39B8-4CD5-8D41-EC6AB13E538F.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #2,664 of 15,683
My neutron settings for those who wish to follow:

Settings > Playback > 64-Bit Processing > toggle ON

Settings > Playback > Resampling > Audiophile > Toggle ON

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Hardware > Toggle ON

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Hardware > Custom Format > Toggle ON

Format: 32-bit Int (toggle this ON only)

Frequency: 44100 , 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000 (toggle ON
for all these)

Mode: OFFLOAD (toggle this ON only)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Follow Source Frequency > this has to be OFF

Settings > Audio Hardware > Frequency

Select between 352800 or 384000 depending on your source material original frequency 44.1khz or 48khz. There’s no automatic switching, you have to manually select.

Suggest to use Walkman in Direct Source On for neutron app. Not sure how the interaction between other DSP like dsee ultimate or dsd remastering works with it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #2,665 of 15,683
Amazon UK still showing as delivery for today but also not despatched 🤪

Phoned them just now and they can't say anymore than its still planned to be despatched and recieved today. Seems they have no clue whats happening 🤔

Oh well... I'm really wanting to report to you guys on any EU capping!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #2,666 of 15,683
Those with hearing issues with one side of their ears can use Neutron player. It will allow for very precise adjustment of L/R balance

Is there nothing similar in the Accesibility menu in Settings?

Screenshot_20220420-092525_Accessibility.jpg

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #2,670 of 15,683
Unrelated with walkman but in what situation(s) does a DAP needing an external cooling fan? I don't think even think it's really needed in Death Valley?

https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-dk3-multifunction-dock-applicable-for-fiio-m17

I am Asking seriously / curiously
The m2 Walkman does get really warm if you use all of the DSP functions together: Dsee ultimate + dc phase linearizer + vinyl processor.

I would imagine that it would be much hotter if you decide to use the m2 Walkman to watch long session of YouTube videos with all the DSP turned on and with high brightness settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back