SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #2,671 of 15,685
The m2 Walkman does get really warm if you use all of the DSP functions together: Dsee ultimate + dc phase linearizer + vinyl processor.

I would imagine that it would be much hotter if you decide to use the m2 Walkman to watch long session of YouTube videos with all the DSP turned on and with high brightness settings.
Hmm, I seem. I don't use DSEE etc so that's probably why I didn't notice it getting hot. Thanks

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #2,673 of 15,685
The more processing is the warmer something gets, it is just logic, but Walkman will never get as hot as other DAPs because of class D amp
Well I've owned few DAP but never thought it got hot, at least to the point where I think a fan was needed. Warm, yes but needing fan, no. Don't know how hot it gets with special function but, especially with no ventilation on the hardware itself, it feels almost useless to me, at least, in my logic. I mean, there really isn't anything needing to be pulled out as it doesn't have vents
and blowing onto it, only coolsnthe surface and not the Boards themselves. Besides, majority of the time, you don't want to blow into it, you want to pull it out
As far as I can tell, Fiio DAPs don't have air vents either

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #2,674 of 15,685
The more processing is the warmer something gets, it is just logic, but Walkman will never get as hot as other DAPs because of class D amp
I read that some other dap got so hot that it won’t even charge up due to temperature protection circuitry kicking in to protect the battery from overheating.

I don’t think these daps will have long term battery lifespan or even long term hardware reliability if they get so hot so easily.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #2,675 of 15,685
Well I've owned few DAP but never thought it got hot, at least to the point where I think a fan was needed. Warm, yes but needing fan, no. Don't know how hot it gets with special function but, especially with no ventilation on the hardware itself, it feels almost useless to me, at least, in my logic. I mean, there really isn't anything needing to be pulled out as it doesn't have vents
and blowing onto it, only coolsnthe surface and not the Boards themselves. Besides, majority of the time, you don't want to blow into it, you want to pull it out
As far as I can tell, Fiio DAPs don't have air vents either
Class A with 3w output. Such power will definitely challenge the cooling requirements.

Not sure what kind of mega inefficient headphone requires so much power to drive. Is it a light bulb or something?

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #2,676 of 15,685
Sony UK site lets you order this morning, showing delivery 21/22nd April, but if you order it then says delivery TBD. I did a webchat with them and said website is wrong and currently no stock :face_palm:

Amazon UK no idea if they are delivering or not and still showing delivery today without showing despatched :smile:, Sony letting you order but have no Stock! Seems Sony have messed up in Europe with availability.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #2,677 of 15,685
Class A with 3w output. Such power will definitely challenge the cooling requirements.

Not sure what kind of mega inefficient headphone requires so much power to drive. Is it a light bulb or something?
Yeah but again, there's no air vents on the DAPs, at least none that I've used.

You also usually want to pull air out, not push in. With no air vents , you're only cooling the surface and not the board or mechanic parts that needs the cooling

Cooling surface does very little, if any. Also flash storage usually works better under load vs it being cooled down afaiu

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,678 of 15,685

You also usually want to pull air out, not push in. With no air vents , you're only cooling the surface and not the board or mechanic parts that needs the cooling

Cooling surface does very little, if any
The metal cases themselves are the contact heat-sinks. Your hand (or air temp) temperature is the cooling :relaxed:

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,679 of 15,685
I read that some other dap got so hot that it won’t even charge up due to temperature protection circuitry kicking in to protect the battery from overheating.

I don’t think these daps will have long term battery lifespan or even long term hardware reliability if they get so hot so easily.
It is just about the same as smartphones. If it gets that hot, it won’t charge, but doesn’t mean it hardware will be effected badly. Most of the modern components can work upto 65C normally and chips is upto 125C, enough to boil water

battery may be effected , but they should be an easy job to replace them, no soldering needed.

anyways, people have to compromise, 250mW or 1200mW, in case of the Cayin N8ii. Other DAPs that always heated up so much were always out there, like SP2K, AK380...etc....but they have a much more powerful output and DAC chips, which are bound by physics to be heated up. There are always trade offs, and you choose what is the most practical for you. In the end, we are living in a good time to enjoy all these beautiful technologies that can be carried around with us. For example, a dual tubes setup in a portable player :)

Attachments

• 5ECA89BF-59AC-4C51-90D5-556CDCBDED26.jpeg
    5ECA89BF-59AC-4C51-90D5-556CDCBDED26.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #2,680 of 15,685

Cooling surface does very little, if any. Also flash storage usually works better under load vs it being cooled down afaiu
FiiO m17 does come included with a cooling fan stand. How effective air works to draw heat out from the chassis? Guess every bit helps if you got such a hot body.
38E5DA8D-060B-4646-B79E-CF4B62A32AA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #2,681 of 15,685
Sony UK site lets you order this morning, showing delivery 21/22nd April, but if you order it then says delivery TBD. I did a webchat with them and said website is wrong and currently no stock :face_palm:

Amazon UK no idea if they are delivering or not and still showing delivery today without showing despatched :smile:, Sony letting you order but have no Stock! Seems Sony have messed up in Europe with availability.

Thanks for that psikey, pritty disappointing situation given the leak of these units was almost a year ago! I was just looking for my closest sony centre to see if one had a demo unit to try out. Basingstoke appear to have a centre. Wonder if they have stock to buy.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,682 of 15,685
The metal cases themselves are the contact heat-sinks. Your hand (or air temp) temperature is the cooling :relaxed:
Depend on the design, SP2K doesn’t have the case acting as a heatsink, it is just a chassis casing and the pcb screwed in onto it. Both the M17 and N8ii have the chassis acting as a heatsink, with the N8ii has the most of the internal components to conduct heats toward the chassis Metal with many different thermal conduction applied
FiiO m17 does come included with a cooling fan stand. How effective air works to draw heat out from the chassis? Guess every bit helps if you got such a hot body.
38E5DA8D-060B-4646-B79E-CF4B62A32AA6.jpeg
as long as the whole body is a heatsink like this m17 , every cooling or running air will help it cool down . It is similar to a CPU and a heatsink, because the whole chassis is a heatsink. It is exactly as you said, when the whole design is powerful and bound to get hot, it will need open air to cool down.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #2,683 of 15,685

Not the first time they have done this....their first signature products also had similar issues....and some with ps5 even. Oh well, sorry it didn’t work out for you. Hopefully the next release of it cycle and we will have Amazon to also fix their preorder and delivery est corrected. This is partly a reliability on Amazon as well

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #2,685 of 15,685
Not the first time they have done this....their first signature products also had similar issues....and some with ps5 even. Oh well, sorry it didn’t work out for you. Hopefully the next release of it cycle and we will have Amazon to also fix their preorder and delivery est corrected. This is partly a reliability on Amazon as well
Welcome to the global semiconductor shortage event of 2021/2022.

Even buying ultra high capacity microSD cards is quite challenging now but you can still find them if you look around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back