SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2,642 of 15,760
Not far off 3x more expensive. 300g of gold plated copper, 128GB extra storage and 5cm of thick Kimber wiring (balanced only) and machined vs pressed aluminium back doesn't warrant an extra £2,300 premium over the A!
Willing Buyer, Willing Seller.

Maybe it’s the looks and feel of the player or the sound signature of the Z. It’s all about individual spending power and personal valuations.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #2,643 of 15,760
Could someone please explain the benefit or difference between using low and high gain but at similar overall volume? For example maybe low gain at 80 is the same db as high gain at 60?

No difference except higher gain adds more noise. It's best to use lower gain if you can get the volume you want. The amplifier characteristics (dynamics, etc) don't change just because input gain is higher.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,644 of 15,760
In my experience with the Walkman, even if you find a setting to that makes low gain and high gain to have the same loudness, theres still some difference in the overall tonal balance. High gain tends to have a brighter sound, Low gain is more neutral like.

I would suggest to try to use Low gain if you find it’s within your acceptable listening loudness.

High gain might introduce additional hiss or added distortion to sensitive iems.

Certain iems with more laid back dark sound signature might benefit from the extra push from high gain.

It really depends on whether you find high gain to be fatiguing or you like the extra brightness from high gain.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,645 of 15,760
300g of gold plated copper
I must say the sheer heft of the OG 1Z + the classy gold finish really makes for extreme pride of ownership. If you're lucky you can pick up a mint OG 1Z for the same price as a 1AM2, and for me that was a no-brainer. Of course if you absolutely must have streaming in a DAP, the 1AM2 is a better option. In 5 years' time I'll upgrade to the M2 for $1500 and be good for another 5 years... 😁

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,646 of 15,760
In my experience with the Walkman, even if you find a setting to that makes low gain and high gain to have the same loudness, theres still some difference in the overall tonal balance. High gain tends to have a brighter sound, Low gain is more neutral like.

I would suggest to try to use Low gain if you find it’s within your acceptable listening loudness.

High gain might introduce additional hiss or added distortion to sensitive iems.

Certain iems with more laid back sound signature might benefit from the extra push from high gain.

It really depends on whether you find high gain to be fatiguing or you like the extra brightness from high gain.

Some of the things you can hear defy science and logic. I'm glad I don't have your ears... :wink:

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,647 of 15,760
Willing Buyer, Willing Seller.

Maybe it’s the looks and feel of the player or the sound signature of the Z. It’s all about individual spending power and personal valuations.
In a couple months we'll start seeing Mods to add the Kimber Cable to 1A. Wait and see. :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,648 of 15,760
Could someone please explain the benefit or difference between using low and high gain but at similar overall volume? For example maybe low gain at 80 is the same db as high gain at 60?
Potentially higer noise floor with high gain. High gain uses more battery.

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #2,650 of 15,760
the S-Master Hx Walkman volume controls works differently from other dap that uses class A or class A/B amplifiers that uses analog resistor based volume controls or dsp based digital volume controls.

The S-Master HX sets the volume by controlling voltage regulation. If you are using the Walkman now, you will notice that the volume control on the Walkman has a very linear loudness stepping interms of how much loudness changes you get with each push on the volume up or down button. Also at lower volumes settings, the music still retains a lot of clarity and sound details.

3C8E77DC-371D-4EBE-BEB0-F84D044FD424.jpeg

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,651 of 15,760
the S-Master Hx Walkman volume controls works differently from other dap that uses class A or class A/B amplifiers that uses analog resistor based volume controls or dsp based digital volume controls.

The S-Master HX sets the volume by controlling voltage regulation. If you are using the Walkman now, you will notice that the volume control on the Walkman has a very linear loudness stepping interms of how much loudness changes you get with each push on the volume up or down button. Also at lower volumes settings, the music still retains a lot of clarity and sound details.

3C8E77DC-371D-4EBE-BEB0-F84D044FD424.jpeg
It is Class D amp on the output stage. So it definitely uses voltage adjustments on those Mosfet to control the volume

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #2,653 of 15,760
The new Walkmans have same output power as previous models, correct?
Is anyone concerned it’s not enough power to drive some iems appropriately?
For instance, my old wm1a was unable to bring VE Ely to life even balanced.

And I’d like help understanding gain.
I thought increased gain meant increased voltage. Whereas increased volume merely amplifies the signal?
I think my terminology is askew but nevertheless

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,654 of 15,760

I thought increased gain meant increased voltage. Whereas increased volume merely amplifies the signal?
Even though it only has a lower 250mW of output, I find the new M2 Walkman is able to keep up with the more powerful DMP-Z1 with regards to delivering a super dynamic and clear sound at much louder volume levels. When there’s alot of heavy deep bass notes going on in the music, the other elements like vocals and instruments still sounds super coherent and clear. It is like the m2 Walkmans has a lot of finesse in the transient dynamics, able to maintain composure without sounding stringent or warbled.

I guess it is likely due to the improvements made to the amplifier power supply(quality and quantity) of the new m2 Walkman.

At least this was what I heard from the demo units of the m2 Walkman and DMP-Z1 driving my IER-M9 balanced at very loud volume. 4 o’clock low gain with dmp-z1 and 110 low gain with 1ZM2 and 1AM2

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #2,655 of 15,760

The new WM drives the FitEar DC well at around 60-65/120 on high gain. This dual DD/single EST iem is as difficult to drive as the Sendy Peacock. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back