SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #2,611 of 15,743
100hour burn in update for WM1AM2:
Now music has better transparency, with a sense of a much wider width in the soundstage.
Music notes linger/decay slightly more longer than before.
Very fine details are showing up more often.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,614 of 15,743
Still not holding my breath and expecting a delay notice, but as of now from Amazon UK.

1650363839525.png

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #2,616 of 15,743
Unless it says shipped, it's not arriving anywhere 😝
With UK Amazon, if they hold the stock with next day Prime it does normally show shipped the day just before delivery, even sometimes late into the evening!

As I say, based on others feedback outside of Asia I'll be amazed if it does arrive tomorrow! If its as volume crippled as the UK ZX507 it will be going back soon after.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2,617 of 15,743
Describing what I am hearing as it is:

Listening to Guns N' Roses November Rain 16bit 44.1 flac on the WM1AM2 with 104hours of ageing, using IER-M9 balanced, dsee ultimate and dc phase type B std, Low gain, volume 110.

This Rock ballad has a lot of dynamics, music elements and spacial cues for the listener to identify and enjoy.

Drum beats feels so strong and impactful, you can really feel each drum has its own bouncy bass feel/texture to the beat.

The electric guitar has its own floating like position in the soundstage, It also has a very nuanced and smooth frequency warping that shifts really quickly from low tone to really high tone.

The string instruments at the start has a very enveloping feel, it’s like it is spreading out to a very wide region across your ears.

The symphonic singing of the background singers is coming in a surround like feel from the back part of your head.

The rain drop sounds at end of the song feels so crystal clear and life-like.

It’s a very mesmerising feeling to listen to this song on the WM1AM2.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #2,618 of 15,743
Sony haven’t been the most forthcoming with updates
Yeah, i had similar response from him too. I decided to directly order from Sony Aust instead.

Can send an update closer to the date if you're interested.
Thanks! I just recently put my order. So you should get it earlier than me.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #2,620 of 15,743
The 1s & 0s comprising digital bytes aren’t numerical ones and zeros but minuscule voltage quantities. Obvio, I know.
However, given that bytes are such, why wouldn’t they be susceptible to the same varied distortions as other electrical components?
Well if they were that susceptible nothing would work as all those 1 & 0's are used to make code work in the first place! Computing and Internet as we know it would be crashing all the time!

enter image description here

Its a big voltage jump between 1 & 0

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/digital/chpt-3/logic-signal-voltage-levels/

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #2,623 of 15,743
The 1s & 0s comprising digital bytes aren’t numerical ones and zeros but minuscule voltage quantities. Obvio, I know.
However, given that bytes are such, why wouldn’t they be susceptible to the same varied distortions as other electrical components?

They are, I spent many years "programming" FPGA's and microprocessors.. the speed of which digital circuits has increased means that digital circuit design and board layouts have to effectively have Analogue RF design principles in mind. I guess the question is much error(s) can one hear in the analogue domain once error correction and other design techniques have mitigated such errors ( if they exist).

My opinion is that such errors will only be audioable when said errors are large enough that error correction cannot resolve i.e. have you ever heard a badly corrupted DAT tape stream? CD Redbook standard for example has a large amount of bits for redundancy due to the Eight to Fourteen modulation technique for encoding to disc and employs CIRC error correction. Hi-MD used modulation was even less error prone due to utilising RLL1 and uses PRML a digital signal processing technique to extract the data from the disc from Intersymbol noise (digital noise). I have a whole book on the CD Redbook standard and it boggles the mind how much mathematics and signal processing is used and that's a 40 year old standard :)

So saying digital is digital is possibly a naive statement, but getting hung up on different digital cards producing a different sound IMHO is getting a bit silly.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,624 of 15,743
So saying digital is digital is a rather naive statement, but getting hung up on different digital cards producing a different sound IMHO is getting a bit silly.

Except if you have really sensitive IEM's like my 8 ohm SE846's that has picked up component switching/noise on certain DAP's or DAC/AMP's.

Never heard with a range of mSD cards I had though.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,625 of 15,743
Still not holding my breath and expecting a delay notice, but as of now from Amazon UK.

1650363839525.png
it will be shipped psikey they probably had a few in stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back