SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #2,596 of 15,743
I definately believe that these differences could be real, they are just beyond my abillity to detect them as I’ve never heard any difference between all the microSD cards I’ve used in dap’s the last 7-8 years
They are very negligible. Each of them can be enjoyed differently (just subjective matters). Sometimes such little differences can be offset by other bigger factors. For example, can you enjoy a beautiful recordings on million dollars system and tell the differences between cables if the robbers are going to arrive at your home in the next 180 seconds ?

So, there gotta be a common ground. It is fun to chase the rabbit only when you can afford to do so.

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #2,597 of 15,743
Yes, in this hobby, if one can not hear the differences, then they can stop chasing the rabbit. That is actually their blessing. Cursed is the people who can tell the differences and spend a lot more to studying it, just to improve the enjoyments.

I heard a difference using a new unformatted micro sd card in my ZX507, it didn't sound as good as the one I was replacing. So I formatted it in the player and it then sounded the same. There was a bit of a 'hoo ha' about different cards sounding different.

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2,598 of 15,743
Update 1ZM2: at 111 hours of continuous playing, balanced port at high gain, bass has tightened up. compared to the start, bass is still hits nice and hard but has lost the mild boominess. treble is not edgy and sparkles now. the 3-dimensional soundstage is really something special from the start... so not much to comment on improvement here except that there is a (perceived) bigger improvement here with the EX1000 than the IER-M9

physically, the unit is barely warm to touch from all the continuous playing, and charging. it will probably last more than 30 hours (playing asosrtment of 16-bit/24-bit FLACs, DSDs) but I have been charging between 30% to 90%.

on Bluetooth, with the WF-1000XM4, range seems shorter... maybe 2 meters less than a Samsung S20 and more sensitive to walls, corners, between floors. no drops within 5-8m range with LDAC, Priority on Sound.

till the next time... Aerosmith beckons

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,601 of 15,743
In an alternate timeline this is the volume limit.
Screenshot_20220419-010443_Settings.jpg

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #2,602 of 15,743
Yes, in this hobby, if one can not hear the differences, then they can stop chasing the rabbit. That is actually their blessing. Cursed is the people who can tell the differences and spend a lot more to studying it, just to improve the enjoyments.
Actually I find that studying about the differences really opens up for my/our better understanding of the world.

Take for example, just look at the deep world of Nand Flash cells inside your SSD, MicroSD and Smartphone storage. They are very prone to cell failure/errors and have to rely on complex error correction algorithms working in real time at the hardware controller level so as to retrieve accurate data. This is something which smart and intelligent professionals like doctors, software developers, maybe even some scientists may not even know about. To us, we just copy files and open applications/media on our computers and smartphones without knowing the deep level stuff that happens at the microscope level.

This presentation explains things very well:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2,603 of 15,743
Actually I find that studying about the differences really opens up for my/our better understanding of the world.

Take for example, just look at the deep world of Nand Flash cells inside your SSD, MicroSD and Smartphone storage. They are very prone to cell failure/errors and have to rely on complex error correction algorithms working in real time at the hardware controller level so as to retrieve accurate data. This is something which smart and intelligent professionals like doctors, software developers, maybe even some scientists may not even know about. To us, we just copy files and open applications on our computers and smartphones without knowing the deep level stuff that happens at the microscope level.

This presentation explains things very well:

I agreed, and I all came from this hobby of mine. I got curious as I hear the differences and I am now at this very same page as you are. It is amazing how technologies evolved ways faster than us the consumers can realize. You will not get it if you don’t seek it out, and this hobby has helped with that .... though sometimes I spent more than I should

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #2,604 of 15,743
I agreed, and I all came from this hobby of mine. I got curious as I hear the differences and I am now at this very same page as you are. It is amazing how technologies evolved ways faster than us the consumers can realize. You will not get it if you don’t seek it out, and this hobby has helped with that .... though sometimes I spent more than I should
For the glory of mankind

Apr 18, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,605 of 15,743
it’s really quite impressive if you see what the newly awaken sleeping giant known as Sony Corporation is going towards with their latest R&D:
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/technologies/

There was a period of time when Sony was deemed a stagnating company by some.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,606 of 15,743
Anyone else in Australia is preordering? The current expected delivery time is 26 April. Curious if it will be accurate

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,608 of 15,743
Anyone else in Australia is preordering? The current expected delivery time is 26 April. Curious if it will be accurate

I put my order in for the A on the 11 of March, Sony keep sending me emails saying it’s on track but I’m also sceptical.
I’ve been in conversation with Wing from Minidisc regarding stock arrivals. It does look like they are due very soon but Sony haven’t been the most forthcoming with updates 😒

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #2,609 of 15,743
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back