SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,626 of 15,758
You have first EU one on here or a Japanese import?

If EU, how's volume cap & is high gain removed?

Cheers.
„Unfortunately“ Japan (or better Singapore) import. After Amazon paused my shipment indefinitely I decided to try another route. Haven’t had a chance to unpack but will keep everyone posted on comparisons with n8ii, Shanling m8 and sp2000t.

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #2,629 of 15,758
They are, I spent many years "programming" FPGA's and microprocessors.. the speed of which digital circuits has increased means that digital circuit design and board layouts have to effectively have Analogue RF design principles in mind. I guess the question is much error(s) can one hear in the analogue domain once error correction and other design techniques have mitigated such errors ( if they exist).

My opinion is that such errors will only be audioable when said errors are large enough that error correction cannot resolve i.e. have you ever heard a badly corrupted DAT tape stream? CD Redbook standard for example has a large amount of bits for redundancy due to the Eight to Fourteen modulation technique for encoding to disc and employs CIRC error correction. Hi-MD used modulation was even less error prone due to utilising RLL1 and uses PRML a digital signal processing technique to extract the data from the disc from Intersymbol noise (digital noise). I have a whole book on the CD Redbook standard and it boggles the mind how much mathematics and signal processing is used and that's a 40 year old standard :)

So saying digital is digital is possibly a naive statement, but getting hung up on different digital cards producing a different sound IMHO is getting a bit silly.
Welcome to the magical rabbit hole of audiophile world where jitter matters so much for those who can hear it:

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #2,632 of 15,758
I heard the OG 1Z this weekend… it reminded me how good these are… I want the new 1Z :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,633 of 15,758
I heard the OG 1Z this weekend… it reminded me how good these are… I want the new 1Z :)
Good thing is less difference between the A and Z supposedly this time other than the obvious case material and kimber wired balanced (same double internal storage).

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #2,635 of 15,758
Good thing is less difference between the A and Z supposedly this time other than the obvious case material and kimber wired balanced (same double internal storage).
And 2k in price? 😂

But, jokes aside… It’s impressive how I could notice the difference straight away even over a simple coffee chat around. Other DAPs are noticeable in those situations, but not as in my face as was 1Z.

1Z: “do you really want to see what I can do after many years?”

Me: 😲

My A12t was on another Level I didn’t remember it could go.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #2,640 of 15,758
And 2k in price? 😂

But, jokes aside… It’s impressive how I could notice the difference straight away even over a simple coffee chat around. Other DAPs are noticeable in those situations, but not as in my face as was 1Z.

1Z: “do you really want to see what I can do after many years?”

Me: 😲

My A12t was on another Level I didn’t remember it could go.

Not far off 3x more expensive. 300g of gold plated copper, 128GB extra storage and 5cm of thick Kimber wiring (balanced only) and machined vs pressed aluminium back doesn't warrant an extra £2,300 premium over the A!

Oxygen free Copper is harder to machine than Aluminium, plus extra machining for the aluminium back but no way that adds the price premium of near 3x the cost. Its a pure luxury/exclussivity premium IMO for those who must have "the best" and have deep pockets. (Or mesmerised by gold!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back