SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2,566 of 15,741
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #2,568 of 15,741
Accubattery app detects M2 Walkman battery as 3000mAh.
Double the ZX507 then with similar OS demand and AMP output. No wonder run time is so much better!

Saying that, the cheap (£305 early-bird), Hiby R5Gen2 I also pre-ordered is 4,500mAh! As big as battery in a Samsung S22+

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #2,569 of 15,741
20220417_151444.JPG

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,570 of 15,741
I feel this is a good track to compare dap sound performance. There’s so much sound effects going on at the same time and will test the dap’s ability to present them properly(without sounding muddy or congested):

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #2,572 of 15,741
@Whitigir

Just check out the kind of complicated acoustic sound R&D that goes on inside Sony Group:

360 Virtual Mixing Environment (hereinafter 360 VME) is a spatial sound technology that enables the acoustic environment of a sound mixing studio with a seating capacity of over 300 to be reproduced in a pair of headphones with precision high enough to satisfy even demanding professionals.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/technologies/360VME/

One can only guess if this technology has already crossed the Sony departments lines and made its way into the M2 Walkmans. Though I doubt that the Sony Walkman team will talk about using this game changing technology in the walkman.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #2,573 of 15,741
@Whitigir

Just check out the kind of complicated acoustic sound R&D that goes on inside Sony Group:

360 Virtual Mixing Environment (hereinafter 360 VME) is a spatial sound technology that enables the acoustic environment of a sound mixing studio with a seating capacity of over 300 to be reproduced in a pair of headphones with precision high enough to satisfy even demanding professionals.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/research/technologies/360VME/

One can only guess if this technology has already crossed the Sony departments lines and made its way into the M2 Walkmans. Though I doubt that the Sony Walkman team will talk about using this game changing technology in the walkman.
Will be interesting to see where this goes. So far the 360 sound on Tidal has to me been most disapointing bordering on awfull

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,574 of 15,741
Will be interesting to see where this goes. So far the 360 sound on Tidal has to me been most disapointing bordering on awfull
Well, basically it is a lot of DSP which is interesting for music videos like the one I linked previously. However, for the rest of the music, I prefer the regular way of listening. Therefore, I completely agree

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #2,575 of 15,741
Well, basically it is a lot of DSP which is interesting for music videos like the one I linked previously. However, for the rest of the music, I prefer the regular way of listening. Therefore, I completely agree
If the 3D / 360 sound is anything similar to what they implemented on the PS5, then yes, I don't see myself using it for music. Will probably need a video to go along with that with matching camera work. Besides, I also have a 7.1 / Atmos speaker system (nothing great, but does its job) so will most likely be using that if I really wanted to listen in Surround and the likes of it.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,576 of 15,741
If the 3D / 360 sound is anything similar to what they implemented on the PS5, then yes, I don't see myself using it for music. Will probably need a video to go along with that with matching camera work. Besides, I also have a 7.1 / Atmos speaker system (nothing great, but does its job) so will most likely be using that if I really wanted to listen in Surround and the likes of it.
Voilà!! Totally agreed. Dolby atmos is great for movies watching. But even so, in some scenarios, you can tell that the sound directions and the scenes are not in good coherency. But then again , for the visualizations of both visions and hearings, it do the job just fine.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,577 of 15,741
This sheet indicates the warning message if you set the sound level above 100, but if that's all it is, it's acceptable because you can ignore it.
The question is more about the high gain option and the power output.

Well, maybe we'll have some good news for the EU models, unless it's an error on the Sony France and all EU countries websites, but they're usually careful with this kind of information.

For NW-ZX507, on the French website we can see that the output power is reduced to 1.1 mW against 50 mW on the US website.
On the other hand for NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2, on the French website we can see that the output power is identical to the US site (60/250 mW), and it is the same on the German and Spanish websites.
I pre-ordered my NM-WM1ZM2 when pre-orders opened, so I'll let you know when I get it.
Yes, those are the specifications on Sony website in many EU countries, so please come back with an update when you'll receive the WM1ZM2.
If it is a mistake and there is a volume cap indeed, no one has been able to clarify this yet.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,578 of 15,741

The reason why Dolby Atmos isn’t as great is because of the implementation of generic human ear HRTF(which doesn’t produce very accurate spatial sounds for all human beings due to ear shape differences) and limited method of processing sound objects.

Not sure what kind of sound content does Dolby have but I guess that their technology focus is probably less on object based music spatial processing but more on providing for object based movie/cinema spatial sounds.

Dolby Atmos issues explained more in detail here
https://www.vrtonung.de/en/dolby-atmos-apple-music-3d-spatial-audio/#anchor3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

Sony 360RA on the other hand uses AI to scan photos of your ears so as to generate bespoke personalised HRTF algorithms that allows for more accurate sounding spatial surround.

Also Sony with their huge collection of studio master music files from their music label side is able to train the AI to get more accurate in processing various music content for object based spatial sound processing and other sound enhancements.

Voilà!! Totally agreed. Dolby atmos is great for movies watching. But even so, in some scenarios, you can tell that the sound directions and the scenes are not in good coherency. But then again , for the visualizations of both visions and hearings, it do the job just fine.

If Sony is working on deployment of spacial surround sound quality that satisfies the studio professionals then I believe It’s only a matter of time with the use of Machine Learning and with the current available computing power for Edge AI that this same spatial sound processing will eventually evolve to the point where it also satisfy most audiophile people.

So summary is this spatial sound tech is still work in progress and will only get better over time in my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,579 of 15,741
When I have option in Amazon HD I also prefer the normal HD version with very few exceptions.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,580 of 15,741
The reason why Dolby Atmos isn’t as great is because of the implementation of generic human ear HRTF(which doesn’t produce very accurate spatial sounds for all human beings due to ear shape differences) and limited method of processing sound objects.

Not sure what kind of sound content does Dolby have but I guess that their technology focus is probably less on object based music spatial processing but more on providing for object based movie/cinema spatial sounds.

Dolby Atmos issues explained more in detail here
https://www.vrtonung.de/en/dolby-atmos-apple-music-3d-spatial-audio/#anchor3

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

Sony 360RA on the other hand uses AI to scan photos of your ears so as to generate bespoke personalised HRTF algorithms that allows for more accurate sounding spatial surround.

Also Sony with their huge collection of studio master music files from their music label side is able to train the AI to get more accurate in processing various music content for object based spatial sound processing and other sound enhancements.

If Sony is working on deployment of spacial surround sound quality that satisfies the studio professionals then I believe It’s only a matter of time with the use of Machine Learning and with the current available computing power for Edge AI that this same spatial sound processing will eventually evolve to the point where it also satisfy most audiophile people.

So summary is this spatial sound tech is still work in progress and will only get better over time in my opinion.

all I'll say is,
1) as previously stated, the Headphone app makes 0 differences for me, but I only use it for local files. I've tried with XBR-Z5 and IER-Z1R and multiple music since then. There is no difference for me at all.
2) I've tried Sony's 3D sound before with the SRS-NS7 and WH1000XM3 previously, albeit from a cell phone, and I think it was for both Amazon HD and Tidal (where the music specially stated) but like the Playstation 5's 3D Audio, I didn't really enjoy it. I guess the normal, or 2D, was more preferable for me.
3) as for Atmos or majority of Surround, I don't think music sounds right with it. Only time it sounds right is when there's visual involved with it usually and you can actually feel the 3d'ness of it. Hard to explain, but it feels very off without visual for most part when it's using a "surround format", in other words, it sounds dithered and all over the place when it doesn't need to be. the 2D spacing sounds more natural (maybe better to call it 2.5D). Sorry if I am explaining this very horribly..i just don't know how to explain it...maybe @Whitigir can explain it better since I think (s)he knows what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back