SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,701 of 15,563
Well, the M2 is a glorified zx507.... isn’t it ? How about some modifications on that 507 instead lol! Well, the 507 has less output though, and no DSD remastering for you either
Stir that pot!😂

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #2,702 of 15,563
Well, the M2 is a glorified zx507.... isn’t it ? How about some modifications on that 507 instead lol! Well, the 507 has less output though, and no DSD remastering for you either
Aside from the sound quality differences,

3000mah battery
128gb storage
Bigger 5inch screen
Improved AI upsampling
Android 11
Usb dac
Dsee ultimate over Bluetooth and usb dac
Bluetooth remote control support

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #2,703 of 15,563

3000mah battery
128gb storage
Bigger 5inch screen
Improved AI upsampling
Android 11
Usb dac
You get most of that with @MrWalkman FW for free with the OG 1A/Z, plus higher voltage/volume mode not available on the M2... 😉

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #2,704 of 15,563

3000mah battery
128gb storage
Bigger 5inch screen
Improved AI upsampling
Android 11
Usb dac
Yeah, you are correct. But then it is just using the same SOC, and same DAC :wink:, and everything else can be much different aka in a glorified/modified way. But also is a foolproof because zx507 is $850 where as the 1A m2 is $1.4K ? Not far off with all the newer stuff

I still can not determine whether the M2 still use that ultra cap or not, I know zx507 still do. Have anyone be able to snap clear picture of the displayed PCB between A/Z ?

You get most of that with @MrWalkman FW for free with the OG 1A/Z, plus higher voltage/volume mode not available on the M2...
😉

pretty much agreed, except if you want hardware modifications, you may spend more than if u were to buy 1A m2....except, you don’t have that minimized footprint lol! More options !

Stir that pot!
😂
don’t want to stir up anything LOL! Just expressing my opinions

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2,705 of 15,563
It all depends on how much Sony koolaid you have been drinking.

Anyway the original 1Z is already such a well regarded dap even after 6years or more. How do you improve on something that is already so good? I guess it’s only by doing incremental changes here and there. It’s the sum of all the changes that you have to access.

I think for most 1Z users, they are better off modding their existing Walkman with bigger capacitors and better batteries. With the various custom firmwares available, you can tune the sound signature to your liking.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,706 of 15,563
But why not? Isn't that what why it comes with an carry case?
It come with a case, but I am not consider it is a ‘carry’ case. You won’t enjoy to carry something almost 2 kg (include the case) with this ‘carry’ case. Anyway, it is too heavy to take it outside, WM1Z+Layla is good enough for me.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #2,707 of 15,563
You get most of that with @MrWalkman FW for free with the OG 1A/Z, plus higher voltage/volume mode not available on the M2... 😉
But no onboard streaming without being fed from a phone over BT with limitations of LDAC Best.

If I was only ever playing my own files I'd go for a used 1st gen I think.

Oh, and a complete let down from Amazon so someone else will have to update on any EU volume cap, but I'm sure it will have so I may just wait Amazon Japan now seeing as Amazon or Sony themselves seem to have no idea where their products are in Europe!

Amazon UK, just had update:

Order received
We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date.

1650453909669.png

Even ebay ones from Japan are now showing late May to June for deliveries.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #2,708 of 15,563
But no onboard streaming without being fed from a phone over BT with limitations of LDAC Best.

Oh, and a complete let down from Amazon so someone else will have to update on any EU volume cap, but I'm sure it will have so I may just wait Amazon Japan now seeing as Amazon or Sony themselves seem to have no idea where their products are in Europe!

Order received

1650453909669.png

Listening via LDAC is awesome, and especially on the go it's convenient to keep the player in my pocket and just handle everything from my smartphone.

I'd get one of the M2 players only for the improved hardware and sound processing, though in the meanwhile maybe I'll have my 1A modded by Nayparm instead.

Apr 20, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #2,709 of 15,563
Had a Webchat with Sony Centre in UK again:

Any stock of SONY NW-WM1ZM2/1AM2 ? Do you know if its volume limited as per EU and the High Gain function removed?​
Agent profile image
stock isn't available until June,​
That explains why Amazon didn't deliver today then! Muppets. Hence looking at Sony Direct! Do you know if it has been crippled like the ZX507 has for EU/UK, and the High Gain removed too?​
Agent profile image
Oh dear
🤦🏻
off the top of my head i don't know, but it is possible​
When I pre-ordered with Amazon they said delivery today, took day of work too to be in and only at 12pm did they say will update when stock available! after showing out for delivery today. Even your own site this morning showed for tomorrow delivery at first. Oh well, thanks for replies :)
Agent profile image
no worries, start of June my order system says,​

Oh well, give me time to see what the Hiby R5 gen 2 is like as that should arrive first now ! :upside_down:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,710 of 15,563
Listening via LDAC is awesome, and especially on the go it's convenient to keep the player in my pocket and just handle everything from my smartphone.

I'd get one of the M2 players only for the improved hardware and sound processing, though in the meanwhile maybe I'll have my 1A modded by Nayparm instead.
Not saying it isn't, but its not lossless wired 24/192 level.

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #2,711 of 15,563
Had a Webchat with Sony Centre in UK again:

Any stock of SONY NW-WM1ZM2/1AM2 ? Do you know if its volume limited as per EU and the High Gain function removed?​
Agent profile image
stock isn't available until June,​
That explains why Amazon didn't deliver today then! Muppets. Hence looking at Sony Direct! Do you know if it has been crippled like the ZX507 has for EU/UK, and the High Gain removed too?​
Agent profile image
Oh dear
🤦🏻
off the top of my head i don't know, but it is possible​
When I pre-ordered with Amazon they said delivery today, took day of work too to be in and only at 12pm did they say will update when stock available! after showing out for delivery today. Even your own site this morning showed for tomorrow delivery at first. Oh well, thanks for replies :)
Agent profile image
no worries, start of June my order system says,​

Oh well, give me time to see what the Hiby R5 gen 2 is like as that should arrive first now ! :upside_down:

That's so frustrating for you and also us Europeans. You would have thought some stock would be reserved for the launch date. Thanks for the update.

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,712 of 15,563

Order received

1650453909669.png

You can use it as external DAC right ? :), then u will never run out of streaming platform or snappy UI

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #2,713 of 15,563
You can use it as external DAC right ? :), then u will never run out of streaming platform or snappy UI
Err, ye, but is bought as a DAP, a portable player!

Never mind, I await Amazon Japan stock now.

I have the Hiby R5G2 and a Khadas Tea Magesafe DAC/AMP (to use with iPhone 13 mini) coming to play about with soon. Its all just new toys really.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #2,714 of 15,563
Not saying it isn't, but its not lossless wired 24/192 level.

You can still use the Wm1A M1 as USB DAC for a smartphone when needed for lossless 24/192 or DSD... but on the way, I am not sure 24/96 vs 24/192 is as critical as it can maybe be for some at home with an high end DAC / Amp / Headphone.

As I don't think the EU version of the WM1ZM2 will be uncapped, I decided to go the way to mod my WM1A by nayparm and use my smartphone for Qobuz and Home Streaming via LDAC to a Vision Ears EXT... I got this yesterday back from NPAudio, the 10 first hours of listening with such combo are nothing less than very interesting compared to my FIIO M17.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #2,715 of 15,563
Err, ye, but is bought as a DAP, a portable player!

Never mind, I await Amazon Japan stock now.

I have the Hiby R5G2 and a Khadas Tea Magesafe DAC/AMP (to use with iPhone 13 mini) coming to play about with soon. Its all just new toys really.
You don’t plan on keeping it for a while do you ? Cause I can’t think of what will happen 2 years from now. The Zx2 support is like extinct....even if it is android

Users who are viewing this thread

Back