SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #2,686 of 15,576
Depend on the design, SP2K doesn’t have the case acting as a heatsink, it is just a chassis casing and the pcb screwed in onto it. Both the M17 and N8ii have the chassis acting as a heatsink, with the N8ii has the most of the internal components to conduct heats toward the chassis Metal with many different thermal conduction applied

as long as the whole body is a heatsink like this m17 , every cooling or running air will help it cool down . It is similar to a CPU and a heatsink, because the whole chassis is a heatsink. It is exactly as you said, when the whole design is powerful and bound to get hot, it will need open air to cool down.

I've plenty of experience with passive cooling :slight_smile:

What's needed to make a quad core nano PC capable of running Plex/Roon fanless & totally silent and cool running

This is what you call a heatsink case!!! 4 core i5 NUC with 32GB handles multiple 4K streams :relaxed: 24/7 and only 8w idling.

1650446774148.png

1650446814511.png

1650446865331.png

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #2,687 of 15,576
I've plenty of experience with passive cooling :slight_smile:

What's needed to make a quad core nano PC capable of running Plex/Roon fanless & totally silent and cool running

This is what you call a heatsink case!!! 4 core i5 NUC with 32GB handles multiple 4K streams :relaxed:

Unfortunately not many people understand what a passive heatsink is....the hotter the heatsink, the better it is dissipating the heat
I think the new m2 Walkman is also using its body to dissipate heat. Haven’t felt any hot spots on the device by using the DSPs.
unlikely , as I don’t see any applications on the Walkman M1/2 for heat conductivity toward the chassis

the warmest part of M2 should be the SOC and it related components which is shielded inside a copper goldplated shield to keep away the interferences

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #2,688 of 15,576
I think the new m2 Walkman is also using its body to dissipate heat. Haven’t felt any hot spots on the device by using the DSPs.
With a Class D Amp .... it should be strange the M2 body couldn't dissipate just the procs heat..

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #2,689 of 15,576
Unfortunately not many people understand what a passive heatsink is....the hotter the heatsink, the better it is dissipating the heat

If this is flat out running say Prime95 for hours then the case gets warm to touch but CPU's max at 64C. Have 30TB storage too on tap with it too :)

Anyway, still no idea if the 1AM2 is coming today or not yet! Least its a sunny day to be off work waiting.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,690 of 15,576
With a Class D Amp .... it should be strange the M2 body couldn't dissipate just the procs heat..
Walkman dissipate the heat by using the thick , multilayer ground plane on it main PCB. On the M1, the ground plane is 7 layers, the thickest and most layered I have encountered on any PCB quality of portable device. Considering the low heat generation of the whole build, this is more than enough
If this is flat out running say Prime95 for hours then the case gets warm to touch but CPU's max at 64C. Have 30TB storage too on tap with it too :)

Anyway, still no idea if the 1AM2 is coming today or not yet! Least its a sunny day to be off work waiting.
no doubt! Passive heatsink, the larger they are, the better they can cool down...unfortunately, can’t do much to a portable player lol!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #2,691 of 15,576

The processor, GPU and associated chips give off heat too you know. Can't imagine it gets much more than slightly warm.

Trying touching a Mojo if listening to it while its charging! That does get warm.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #2,692 of 15,576
Not if you are using the Walkman for bit coin mining!

Anyway I read from the Japanese blogs that Sony had chosen the same cpu soc as the ZX507 due to its lower noise design. Maybe the Snapdragon 660 is too noisy?

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #2,693 of 15,576
Not if you are using the Walkman for bit coin mining!

Anyway I read from the Japanese blogs that Sony had chosen the same cpu core as the ZX507 due to its lower noise design. Maybe the Snapdragon 660 is too noisy?
There is no such thing anymore if you also use FPGA , and I have stopped buying into Sony word salads, excuses in marketing .

Sony used to state that android was noisy, and degrading the overall quality. So they opted out for Walkman OS, and spent a large amount of resource into developing walkmanOS just for the sake of sound performances. Beside that, all IC running androids consumes too much power...etc...etc...look at the M2 now.

I never doubted the older Walkman statements about android .... but I do doubt the current Sony as of why they are using android now, are they trying to prove something ?

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #2,695 of 15,576
It’s quite interesting that Sony has completely ditched the ELDC found on the M1 walkman. Even the FiiO M17 has a ELDC on it.
That was another point I would wanted to address, but many people may not like it either. Basically, the M2 is going backward ....or in the opposite way of the M1 statements back then.

Though, this can be overlooked with the newer organic polymer capacitor. The newer generation of them is a combination of all 3 : electrolytic capacitors, ultra capacitor, organic polymer. The differences between ultra capacitor VS electrolytic is the ability to ditch out instantaneous amount of current and voltage in a flash, but it needs a different management. where as the organic polymer can ditch out similarly, but need no additional supportive components....direct drop in replacements. The older organic polymer didn’t have the musicality of electrolytic, and some people Believe that is partly due to electrolytic being a wet type of capacitor VS a dry type of organic polymer. Not sure how the newer FT3 is doing on the M2. But at least Sony made a replacement with a large one for that ultra capacitor.

if the claim about wet vs dry type is true. One can try and compare between M1 and M2....specifically the NP modified one. Because that one uses a lot of wet type capacitors and doubling up on ultra caps :)....same output! Yes that ultra caps is a wet type as well. One limitation on ultra caps is that they are both voltage and capacitance limited too much. I would say that if all the DSD remastering feature are not essential. One can buy 1Z and have it modified, and still is an excellent choice, may even outperforming the M2. For certain, 2X as much on the battery, and no android is already a winner

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #2,696 of 15,576
There is no such thing anymore if you also use FPGA , and I have stopped buying into Sony word salads, excuses in marketing .

Sony used to state that android was noisy, and degrading the overall quality. So they opted out for Walkman OS, and spent a large amount of resource into developing walkmanOS just for the sake of sound performances. Beside that, all IC running androids consumes too much power...etc...etc...look at the M2 now.

I never doubted the older Walkman statements about android .... but I do doubt the current Sony as of why they are using android now, are they trying to prove something ?
They are only using Android now as its only way to provide Streaming Services (inc. offline) and more consumers are wanting that in their DAP (me included).

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,697 of 15,576

Guess it might be directions from the top management of Sony. After all the new CEO is very focused on digital streaming content

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/sony-corp-kenichiro-yoshida-uncharted-ces-1235146524/amp/

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,698 of 15,576
They are only using Android now as its only way to provide Streaming Services (inc. offline) and more consumers are wanting that in their DAP (me included).
They also uses FPGA, and claiming snapdragon is noisy ? LOL...no! Just No

Snapdragon, if being that noisy and glitchy, they wouldn’t even be able to perform tasks that only desktop cpu such as Intel can do...especially graphics and multi heavy load tasks. Because essentially, noises is measurable. In sensitive equipments and applications, physical noises can be measured in voltage fluctuations, even in uV can be measured, and then IC chips if noisy, there will be so much deficiencies that they couldn’t even handle much of the modern computational tasks. But Snapdragon 660 and higher are crazily powerful, you just can not logically be thinking that they Are that much noisy, do you ? Not to mention that there is FPGA, at least the newest one inside the M2 to assist the DSP processing, and or correcting the errors.

The only plausible explanation is that Sony is wanting to use AndroidOS, and this unfriendly SOC is because less people is willing to work on it and cracking it, exploiting it, and may be discovering their proprietary DSP, such as DSEE-HX, vynil engines....etc... It seems that Sony lost that battle against the will of the consumers to hack into the firmware. After all, when your product is sold to a consumer, the consumer can do whatever they want, just as long as they don’t sell your stuff for profits.

But given that it is android, eventually, someone will crack it. It is a lot safer to go with unknown, and not yet developed SOC, because Snapdragon 660 has a lot of hack, cracks already

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,699 of 15,576
They also uses FPGA, and claiming snapdragon is noisy ? LOL...no! Just No

Snapdragon, if being that noisy and glitchy, they wouldn’t even be able to perform tasks that only desktop cpu such as Intel can do...especially graphics and multi heavy load tasks. Because essentially, noises is measurable. In sensitive equipments and applications, physical noises can be measured in voltage fluctuations, even in uV can be measured, and then IC chips if noisy, there will be so much deficiencies that they couldn’t even handle much of the modern computational tasks. But Snapdragon 660 and higher are crazily powerful, you just can not logically be thinking that they Are that much noisy, do you ? Not to mention that there is FPGA, at least the newest one inside the M2 to assist the DSP processing, and or correcting the errors.

The only plausible explanation is that Sony is wanting to use AndroidOS, and this unfriendly SOC is because less people is willing to work on it and cracking it, exploiting it, and may be discovering their proprietary DSP, such as DSEE-HX, vynil engines....etc... It seems that Sony lost that battle against the will of the consumers to hack into the firmware. After all, when your product is sold to a consumer, the consumer can do whatever they want, just as long as they don’t sell your stuff for profits.

But given that it is android, eventually, someone will crack it. It is a lot safer to go with unknown, and not yet developed SOC, because Snapdragon 660 has a lot of hack, cracks already
Never thought of it that way, seems a reasonable assumption. They want to keep you out!

Don't want you making their cheaper kit sound like a Z!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,700 of 15,576
Never thought of it that way, seems a reasonable assumption. They want to keep you out!

Don't want you making their cheaper kit sound like a Z!!
Well, the M2 is a glorified zx507.... isn’t it ? How about some modifications on that 507 instead lol! Well, the 507 has less output though, and no DSD remastering for you either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back