SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #15,451 of 15,558
I found something on the Apple app store. Will go mess around with it on the weekend.

Will I need an MPD server on the WM1AM2?
Exactly. MPD Daemon is playing the music and the MPD Client is connecting to MPD to tell him, what to play and how.

That means you can not use the Walkman App, sadly. The Music will be played by MPD (which forwards it, without touching it, to the Audio System)

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #15,453 of 15,558
Gpgt.

where you buy from?
I actually ordered and paid for it at Canjam Singapore from Fiio directly. But they does not bring this remote to Canjam. So was told to collect from AVOne store. Will post a photo when I got it. These days busy with work does not have time to collect.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #15,454 of 15,558
Hey guys in your opinion should I jump the gun and get this dap right now or wait some time for a newer variant of it ?
Sony new model cycle is multi years, so there will not be a new model for awhile. If you are OK with waiting, then it will be a couple of years before there is a new model.

People look at the situation in different ways:
1. wait for the new model, as do not want to buy, and then a little while later, a new model is released. So should have waited.
CONS: feels like waiting forever, all the time, for every new model. And always feel that you got a bad deal, as should have waited for the next new model. And this becomes a habit, for all purchases.
2. buy and enjoy the current model. By the time a new model is released, will have gotten good use, and good value from the current one. Can wait for the new model to drop in price before considering buying.
3. wait for the new model, and let it age awhile, so that it drops in price. Wait until it is available on the 2nd hand market at 30-40% discount. Takes a little patience, but I think this is a better choice than option 1. It also needs the discipline to not rush out to buy the newest and greatest as soon as it is released, and instead always delay until the "latest and greatest" feeling has faded. And people are already chasing the next "latest and greatest".
This is slightly different from option 2, as there is a conscious decision to wait for price to drop, and the further discount of buying 2nd hand.

My vote would be to buy it now, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #15,455 of 15,558
Hey guys in your opinion should I jump the gun and get this dap right now or wait some time for a newer variant of it ?
The WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 are very modern DAPs. USB C and Android are massive upgrades from the previous generation and those were on the market for 5 years. The M2s are only two years old so I would expect 3 years minimum if we're going off the previous cycle. Sony products are on the market for a long time before they are refreshed. I was hesitant at first but the DAP runs streaming apps like Tidal and Apple Music very well. No lag to speak of like I've read online and the built-in Sony software is top notch.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #15,456 of 15,558
Buy with confidence…a good DAP will remain good even if newer version comes. There is still a market for M1 even after M2 is here.
Anyways Sony doesn’t refresh its signature line just for sake of it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #15,457 of 15,558
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #15,458 of 15,558
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #15,459 of 15,558
Sony new model cycle is multi years, so there will not be a new model for awhile. If you are OK with waiting, then it will be a couple of years before there is a new model.

People look at the situation in different ways:
1. wait for the new model, as do not want to buy, and then a little while later, a new model is released. So should have waited.
CONS: feels like waiting forever, all the time, for every new model. And always feel that you got a bad deal, as should have waited for the next new model. And this becomes a habit, for all purchases.
2. buy and enjoy the current model. By the time a new model is released, will have gotten good use, and good value from the current one. Can wait for the new model to drop in price before considering buying.
3. wait for the new model, and let it age awhile, so that it drops in price. Wait until it is available on the 2nd hand market at 30-40% discount. Takes a little patience, but I think this is a better choice than option 1. It also needs the discipline to not rush out to buy the newest and greatest as soon as it is released, and instead always delay until the "latest and greatest" feeling has faded. And people are already chasing the next "latest and greatest".
This is slightly different from option 2, as there is a conscious decision to wait for price to drop, and the further discount of buying 2nd hand.

My vote would be to buy it now, and enjoy it.
In fact I would think at this moment, the current firmware of the M2 Walkman sounds even better than its initial release two years back. Many sound quality aspects of the Walkman has been improved, including the DSEE Ultimate. So it’s even better to buy now as you are getting the “best” revision of both the hardware and software compared to the earlier buyers.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #15,460 of 15,558
Also like to dismiss some wrong information posted in this thread recently.

The S-Master HX chip itself is certainly capable of handling delay free audio playback. The older WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling headphone is using the S-Master HX chip. It would be impossible for the WH-1000XM2 to perform its active noise cancellation functions if the S-master HX is not capable of outputting the real time anti-noise sounds to cancel out noise that it picks up from the microphones.

Even in the older M1 walkman, they have found some firmware tweaks/mod that can help to reduce the latency of USB dac mode:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...are-non-android.943661/page-465#post-16901468

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #15,461 of 15,558
Hey people,

I have been trying using UApp on my DAP, but I get these messages (see attached).

I thought that UApp was meant to bypass the Android limitations.

Or the only way to play bitperfect is through the sony app?
IMG_1097.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #15,462 of 15,558
Hey people,

I have been trying using UApp on my DAP, but I get these messages (see attached).

I thought that UApp was meant to bypass the Android limitations.

Or the only way to play bitperfect is through the sony app?IMG_1097.JPG
Last I heard in UAPP thread was that it doesn’t bypass Android Upsampling in Sony. Sony Music app is only player that can bypass it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #15,463 of 15,558
Last I heard in UAPP thread was that it doesn’t bypass Android Upsampling in Sony. Sony Music app is only player that can bypass it.
It's so so bad when all competitors have worked something out...

(Streaming apps included)

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #15,464 of 15,558
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #15,465 of 15,558
Listening live jam sessions on the Z1R and the 'gold brick' is pure joy :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back