SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #15,436 of 15,559
Which version is this a pic of? Wiring looks different.
The WM1M2. You can see that on the motherboard in the middle left of the photo. The original OFC wires to the 4.4mm Jack have been replaced by Mundorf .5mm solid silver with 1% gold wires.

These wires have been subsequently replaced by Brise UPG001 IEM cable wires, directly from the coils to the 4.4mm jack, bypassing the relays.

Below are the original OFC wires.
WM1AM2 4.4 socket to MB.jpg

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #15,437 of 15,559
Just tried using the WM1AM2 Walkman as usb dac for iPad Air gen 5. You can control if the Walkman charges up the iPad(if no usb-pd hub was used) which I recommend that you do not allow the Walkman to charge the iPad as this will deteriorate the more precious battery of the Walkman.

As long as direct source mode is on, the output latency is low and good enough for delay free video playback. Using DSD Remastering mode or DSEE Ultimate would increase sound output delay by almost nearing a second or so which is unusable for video playback but would still work fine for music playback. The default output format shown on the Walkman is 32bit 44.1KHz.
I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the delay free video playback

I’ve tried direct source on and off
Both seem to have a delay of around 3 seconds

Am I doing something wrong?
iPad Pro usb c to 1AM2

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #15,439 of 15,559

iPad Pro usb c to 1AM2
My Walkman has been tweaked using this guide, maybe this could be the reason for my delay free playback but I am not sure if it is the actual reason for my delay free audio playback on IPad Air gen 5 with direct source on. I would recommend for you to try the guide to see if this reduces output latency, I am on firmware 1.08 if this info helps:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-wm1am2-and-wm1zm2-android-walkman-optimization-guide.962975/

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #15,440 of 15,559

iPad Pro usb c to 1AM2
It doesn't exist, thats why. Most music players (mpv, vlc and so on) have support for adjusting the delay. Thats your only option. Its -350ms on my PC (no matter the OS). All Walkman Models have this delay, even the old ones not using Android. Its due to the S-Master HX implementation and not caused by the OS. So its an ""Hardware"" Issue.

On VLC you can adjust the Audio Delay with the j and k key. On mpv its either with an setting in the config file (audio-delay=-0.35) or with the Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- combination (it only allows 100ms though, so you cant set -350ms)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #15,441 of 15,559
After giving up on hoping that Sony will ever release an Bluetooth Receiver mode, i searched for alternative solutions and would like to share the solution i use right now.

I am an TRPG GM and so i looked for several solutions to manage the music that plays on the player side. I decided for MPD (Music Player Daemon) that i remotely control via an Client App on the PC (or an Android App or whatever i want).

Then i noticed, that MPD is available for Android too(!) and tada, the solution is born.

I setup MPD on the Walkman and use the M.A.L.P. app to remotely control it. That way i can remotely control the music playing on my Walkman with either my phone or even my PC, whatever im sitting in front off. Very comfortable and well working solution.

Only downside is, of course, they have to be in the same Network. So they need to be in the same Wifi (so you have to open an Wifi Hotspot when you're on the go). But at least for me, this works well =)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.musicpd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gateshipone.malp

Both are also available on F-Droid

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #15,442 of 15,559
After giving up on hoping that Sony will ever release an Bluetooth Receiver mode, i searched for alternative solutions and would like to share the solution i use right now.

I am an TRPG GM and so i looked for several solutions to manage the music that plays on the player side. I decided for MPD (Music Player Daemon) that i remotely control via an Client App on the PC (or an Android App or whatever i want).

Then i noticed, that MPD is available for Android too(!) and tada, the solution is born.

I setup MPD on the Walkman and use the M.A.L.P. app to remotely control it. That way i can remotely control the music playing on my Walkman with either my phone or even my PC, whatever im sitting in front off. Very comfortable and well working solution.

Only downside is, of course, they have to be in the same Network. So they need to be in the same Wifi (so you have to open an Wifi Hotspot when you're on the go). But at least for me, this works well =)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.musicpd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gateshipone.malp

Both are also available on F-Droid
This solution won't work if I'm using an iOS device, right?

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #15,443 of 15,559
This solution won't work if I'm using an iOS device, right?
I do not know if there are MPD Clients on iOS. I have no iOS device to check that or know anyone who has one. But i think if you search for "mpd" in the app store, you can check if something of what comes up is actually an MPD client

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #15,445 of 15,559
The EQ on the DAP seems a bit lackluster. Is there no way to change balance for frequencies not listed?
I haven't used it but I think you can use some third party EQ app for streaming or 03rd party music player. Walkman music app won’t work with it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #15,446 of 15,559
I do not know if there are MPD Clients on iOS. I have no iOS device to check that or know anyone who has one. But i think if you search for "mpd" in the app store, you can check if something of what comes up is actually an MPD client
I found something on the Apple app store. Will go mess around with it on the weekend.

Will I need an MPD server on the WM1AM2?

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #15,447 of 15,559
Just ordered a Fiio Bluetooth remote for my WM1ZM2.
7753501.jpg

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #15,449 of 15,559
Hey guys in your opinion should I jump the gun and get this dap right now or wait some time for a newer variant of it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back