SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #15,421 of 15,558
Omg, calm down guys.. it's just a Certification Label sticker for the Malaysia Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC)!!! No snake oil here, jeez... :beyersmile:

Blondie_backplate.jpg
I was hoping for some secret magic sticker here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #15,423 of 15,558
Yes it is possible to connect the M2 Walkman to the TA-ZH1ES Walkman port, you just need to have the right cables or USB-C adaptor attachment on top of your existing cable.

The Walkman does not have a true line out, however it is still possible to use the Walkman’s 4.4mm headphone jack to connect to another amp, just have to make sure that the volume set on the Walkman is not overly high to the point where it is causing audible distortion to the connected amp, meaning there’s a volume sweet spot to be found.
Sorry for my stupidity....

I got a cable for that.
As soon as I connect it to the TA-Z1HES All my music apps(the music Player, Tidal and Roon) ask permissions for the amp at the same time.
Unfortunately it only function with the music player and only if I don't give permission to Tidal.
Tidal just do nothing and Roon give a "device error".
I am a bit frustrated as it was plug and play with the old one.
Do anybody had similar issues? Is there a way to give the permissions generally, couldn't find it so far.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #15,424 of 15,558
Have a question for Walkman users here
Sometimes when I have IEMs connected to the balanced connector, if the screen is switched on or Off, I hear a faint sound like a click, in fact weak faint click, coming from device itself as if something is getting connected or disconnected. This sound doesn’t come from IEM mind you but from inside the Walkman and is very faint and can be heard only in quiet room when Walkman is close to your ear. Is it the same mechanical relay that everyone talks about being used in Walkman ?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #15,425 of 15,558
Have a question for Walkman users here
Sometimes when I have IEMs connected to the balanced connector, if the screen is switched on or Off, I hear a faint sound like a click, in fact weak faint click, coming from device itself as if something is getting connected or disconnected. This sound doesn’t come from IEM mind you but from inside the Walkman and is very faint and can be heard only in quiet room when Walkman is close to your ear. Is it the same mechanical relay that everyone talks about being used in Walkman ?
Yes, it is. There is a relay operation when you plug the 4.4mm in or it times out. Plus I believe there is some other switching related to bit rate/clock. Nothing to worry about.
Edit:
You can see the 2 relays for the 4.4mm in this picture. They are the 2 white rectangles in the upper part of the picture. Omron G6KU-2F-Y

IMG_7686.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #15,426 of 15,558
Yes, it is. There is a relay operation when you plug the 4.4mm in or it times out. Plus I believe there is some other switching related to bit rate/clock. Nothing to worry about.
Edit:
You can see the 2 relays for the 4.4mm in this picture. They are the 2 white rectangles in the upper part of the picture. Omron G6KU-2F-Y
this relay is not installed on Sony’s ZX series, likely to reduce cost.

I feel there’s so much more care/consideration taken into the construction of this Walkman internally compared to other daps. You can see a lot of glue and bracing is included to reduce the effects of vibrations and etc. Even the placement of the S-Master HX chip itself seems so unique as compared to how the other dap manufacturers would have layout the dac and amp chips.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #15,427 of 15,558
Edit:

IMG_7686.jpg
Which version is this a pic of? Wiring looks different.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #15,430 of 15,558
Just to clarify, "Filtering during DSD playback" settings only work if I have DSD remastering turned on?
Many of us have noticed that this function also affects the sound when listen to pcm music as well, it’s not limited to dsd files only nor with dsd remastering only.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #15,431 of 15,558
Many of us have noticed that this function also affects the sound when listen to pcm music as well, it’s not limited to dsd files only nor with dsd remastering only.
Thanks. I swapped many times to see if I noticed a difference but it's difficult to tell with the pausing of music. So I assume it would work for Tidal then? I just tested with the Walkman app.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #15,432 of 15,558
Thanks. I swapped many times to see if I noticed a difference but it's difficult to tell with the pausing of music. So I assume it would work for Tidal then? I just tested with the Walkman app.
It generally affects upper frequencies with certain sounds like cymbals. Slow roll off has lesser bite and more decay while sharp roll off has more bite but less decay. It’s not a major sound change but I think this is something that can affect long term listening fatigue. The differences is probably more evident with brighter sounding iems/headphones or when using DSEE Ultimate.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #15,433 of 15,558
So I just remembered that my HD800S has a 4.4 Plussound cable. I normally use the 4.4 to 1/4 for my desktop amp. I decided to plug it into my WM1ZM2 and wow, it drives them beautifully. I have to run them at 110-120 high gain though. Any recommendations for comparable/better headphones for orchestral stuff?

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #15,434 of 15,558
So I just remembered that my HD800S has a 4.4 Plussound cable. I normally use the 4.4 to 1/4 for my desktop amp. I decided to plug it into my WM1ZM2 and wow, it drives them beautifully. I have to run them at 110-120 high gain though. Any recommendations for comparable/better headphones for orchestral stuff?
With my NW-WM1AM2/HD800S I'm good with 70-75 high gain. Or even lower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back