SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #15,484 of 15,567
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #15,485 of 15,567
Just discovered a limitation of the M2 Walkman not stated by Sony.

USB DAC mode only outputs to S-Master HX, Bluetooth does not work.
Er... you have a source, like a laptop or an iPad and you're using the WM1A/ZM2 as a DAC... and you want that to output to a speaker/amp over BT?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the DAP as a DAC? A BT signal is digital so it will be decoded again by a BT DAC at the receiver. Why not just send the signal out directly from your source over BT to the speaker/amp? What's your use case?

I'm just more annoyed that I can't get a direct cabled digital signal out of my WM1AM2 to my amp.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #15,487 of 15,567
Er... you have a source, like a laptop or an iPad and you're using the WM1A/ZM2 as a DAC... and you want that to output to a speaker/amp over BT?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the DAP as a DAC? A BT signal is digital so it will be decoded again by a BT DAC at the receiver. Why not just send the signal out directly from your source over BT to the speaker/amp? What's your use case?

I'm just more annoyed that I can't get a direct cabled digital signal out of my WM1AM2 to my amp.
Since the Ipad air 5's own internal bluetooth doesn't allow for the utilization of higher bitrate LDAC codec(Apple only supports AAC codec), I figure maybe it is possible to use the Walkman as USB DAC to provide the LDAC Bluetooth link to the WH-1000XM3(for movie watching), but this didn't work at all.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #15,489 of 15,567
Since the Ipad air 5's own internal bluetooth doesn't allow for the utilization of higher bitrate LDAC codec(Apple only supports AAC codec), I figure maybe it is possible to use the Walkman as USB DAC to provide the LDAC Bluetooth link to the WH-1000XM3(for movie watching), but this didn't work at all.
Why not copy the files over to the WM then?

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #15,491 of 15,567
watching movie on the 10.9 inch display Ipad vs the WM 5 inch display?
At such close proximity viewing, you're better off listening to the audio through the balanced output, if you're obsessed with quality. Or stream directly to a BT headset if you prefer the convenience.
If you want both badly, you might want to consider an Android tablet that will transmit LDAC.

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #15,492 of 15,567
At such close proximity viewing, you're better off listening to the audio through the balanced output, if you're obsessed with quality. Or stream directly to a BT headset if you prefer the convenience.
If you want both badly, you might want to consider an Android tablet that will transmit LDAC.
The ipad was just a recent lucky draw win, thus this is just another one of my many experimentation with it's capabilities/compatibilities with connecting to the USB DAC capable Walkman. There's no need to question what my usage scenarios are. For i could be streaming spotify on it or whatever. It's my device, I choose what I like to use it for. Just posting my observation that the bluetooth audio output won't work when the walkman is in usb-dac mode.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #15,493 of 15,567
The ipad was just a recent lucky draw win, thus this is just another one of my many experimentation with it's capabilities/compatibilities with connecting to the USB DAC capable Walkman. There's no need to question what my usage scenarios are. For i could be streaming spotify on it or whatever. It's my device, I choose what I like to use it for. Just posting my observation that the bluetooth audio output won't work when the walkman is in usb-dac mode.
Chillax. You posted it here and I'm just suggesting alternative to fulfill your use cae or outcome.

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #15,494 of 15,567
Chillax. You posted it here and I'm just suggesting alternative to fulfill your use cae or outcome.
I apologize for not understanding your intentions. If you have been following this thread closely, you might have figured out my many "reasons" for not being so chillax.

I am actually already utilizing the balanced output for better sound quality as suggested by you by using the ipad air+walkman usb dac+MDR-1AM2 combo. The sound quality is actually great for causal bedside movie watching, very clear and legible speech, explosions sound are also really deep and dynamic too.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #15,495 of 15,567
Hello M2 friends, I have a question for you. I'm coming from the WM1Z and I really like the digital volume bar that's always visible on the top of the screen. If you want to change the volume, you can use the side buttons or tap the volume bar to get to the digital wheel.

Of course, you can also use the side buttons on the M2, but it does not have a volume indicator that is always visible, like the bar on the M1 or, in the case of other DAPs, a number in the status bar. I did not think about this before I started using it. On the M2, you have to swipe down to access the quick settings, select the volume shortcut and then adjust it.

Basically, it takes one more swipe to change the volume on the M2 than on the M1. As I said, this may not matter to most people and may be super picky, but I found it less than ideal. Otherwise, I love the DAP.

Is there an option that I have missed or a good recommendation for a third party app that would allow such a feature?
Hey there,

Did you ever figure out how to get the volume indicator permanently on the top bar? Really miss this feature..

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back