Sony NW-A50 Series
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #2,342 of 2,409
For that use A30/A40 would be fine. Stock EU units are volume capped but that is easily changed either by using the Rockbox nwdest region change tool or by installing the MrWalkman WalkmanOne custom fw. Both require a Windows computer (physical or virtual)
Thank you! Specs wise, are the A30/A40/A50 very different? Because the specs details doesn't show much of differences

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #2,343 of 2,409
Thank you! Specs wise, are the A30/A40/A50 very different? Because the specs details doesn't show much of differences
I've never had an A30. I had an A40 but that was before WalkmanOne so on stock fw and it could only handle about 30.000 tracks in the library while the A50; bought some time later had no problem with 60.000 tracks in the library. I don't know if this has changed on the A40 with WalkmanOne. Other than that I don't recall much if any difference between the 2. Today I mostly use my A50 as BT source for WF-1000XM4 after they got the dual connection option in the latest fw update, but I also use it with my JH13 ciem when I want to travel light

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #2,344 of 2,409
I've never had an A30. I had an A40 but that was before WalkmanOne so on stock fw and it could only handle about 30.000 tracks in the library while the A50; bought some time later had no problem with 60.000 tracks in the library. I don't know if this has changed on the A40 with WalkmanOne. Other than that I don't recall much if any difference between the 2. Today I mostly use my A50 as BT source for WF-1000XM4 after they got the dual connection option in the latest fw update, but I also use it with my JH13 ciem when I want to travel light
Great! I also have the xm4 I read that the a40 has ldac so I assume xm4 works fine with the a40 too?

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #2,345 of 2,409
Great! I also have the xm4 I read that the a40 has ldac so I assume xm4 works fine with the a40 too?
Yes they should do

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,346 of 2,409
Hi all!
I have a custom made Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Cable that I’am now selling. It is basically new, only used it a couple of times with Chord Mojo. The cable is more flexible less and giving compared to the stiff and stern stock Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Cable. I no longer have the Chord Mojo so I have no use for the custom cable anymore. I bought it for $180 from Japan, will sell it for $150 and will only ship within North America. If interested please fill free to PM me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• F19062E5-481E-49A3-9F13-C23A6FCEDA02.jpeg
    F19062E5-481E-49A3-9F13-C23A6FCEDA02.jpeg
    1,019 KB · Views: 0
  • 6E6F2F13-8F20-4DAF-BF48-7C11269C691F.jpeg
    6E6F2F13-8F20-4DAF-BF48-7C11269C691F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • BBF65B53-93B5-4445-8A67-A8B2BF7FB4CE.jpeg
    BBF65B53-93B5-4445-8A67-A8B2BF7FB4CE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #2,347 of 2,409
Hello. Today I received my A55 Walkman from japan.
I want to try it out but the screen protector for the player still didn't arrived.
I thought to use it without screen protector until it's gonna arrive.
Is it a good idea? Does the screen getting scratched easily?
The player is brand new.
Personally, I believe it does not get scratched easily, it depends on how you handle it. The screen is based on TFT colour display with white LED-backlight. I would recommend screen protection though...

May 9, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #2,348 of 2,409
So out of nowhere (kind of), my computers stopped recognising my NW-A55. It was actually gradual on my new Acer. If you tried different usb ports it would eventually work in one. Now it doesn't work in any. So I tried my old HP and it doesn't work on that either.

There's no explanation for it. It worked on both, and now it just doesn't. But the thing is, it charges on both. So the connection is fine. It just doesn't come up as a drive. The device stays on whatever screen it was on when you plugged it in, like it does when you just charge it. And the battery thing indicates charging. The charging light comes on.

I never changed any settings. And like I said it was gradual. It was still working sometimes, but now, not at all.

I looked in the settings and 'auto activate USB mass storage' is on. I've tried turning it off and on again. No good.

Don't know what else I can do? I've done all the simple things like resetting computer and trying every USB port etc.
You should test other USB cable with the NW-A55 since USB-cable can too be damaged or so.... Test the cable with the computer's different USB connectors.

May 9, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,349 of 2,409
Great information, but have you actually compared both? i read here some a-55 owners saying sound quality actually not very good really...

You can put 1.444kbs files on the ipod, 150€ iem, they dont sound bad, but never compared it myself with a sony...

I dont want android dap, that is for sure.
Man....there is a huge difference in the quality of sound. Sony will give you the best sound ever for a device at that price. You would be shocked.

May 9, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,350 of 2,409
Hello. Today I received my A55 Walkman from japan.
I want to try it out but the screen protector for the player still didn't arrived.
I thought to use it without screen protector until it's gonna arrive.
Is it a good idea? Does the screen getting scratched easily?
The player is brand new.
I have a screen protector on my A55. Works great, here is a link and photo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDN9QVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also bought the Sony folding case from Japan (Ebay). My A55 looks great and the case work is protected too.

Attachments

• IMG_20230402_184918128.jpg
    IMG_20230402_184918128.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230402_185018757_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230402_185018757_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,351 of 2,409
So out of nowhere (kind of), my computers stopped recognising my NW-A55. It was actually gradual on my new Acer. If you tried different usb ports it would eventually work in one. Now it doesn't work in any. So I tried my old HP and it doesn't work on that either.

There's no explanation for it. It worked on both, and now it just doesn't. But the thing is, it charges on both. So the connection is fine. It just doesn't come up as a drive. The device stays on whatever screen it was on when you plugged it in, like it does when you just charge it. And the battery thing indicates charging. The charging light comes on.

I never changed any settings. And like I said it was gradual. It was still working sometimes, but now, not at all.

I looked in the settings and 'auto activate USB mass storage' is on. I've tried turning it off and on again. No good.

Don't know what else I can do? I've done all the simple things like resetting computer and trying every USB port etc.
I don't know if you got this figured out, but here are a few suggestions from an old tech.

1) Recheck the connection settings on the A55.
2) With a known functioning flash drive, test your USB ports on the PCs.
3) Take your A55 to another person's PC and test it there.
4) Back up your files and perform a factory reset on A55.
5) Now it gets ugly, one or the other is faulty. Either your cable (Sony WMC-NW20MU, not a regular USB cable, btw) or the actual WM-Port on the A55 is faulty.
5a) Since it sounds like the connection is half working (the charging part and not the data part), lets try a bit of preventive maintenance first. With the power turned off and the cable not plugged into a PC, blowout the dust from the WM-Port with a photo duster or some canned air. A drop or small spray of contact cleaner to the port and a bit of working the port/cable connection in and out, a dozen or so times is fine. Since this problem sort of crept up on you, the port connections may have started to slowly corrode, this little exercise may free that up. Retest.
5b) The cable is the next easiest, here is an Amazon link for a replacement, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O2Q9DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Retest.
5c) If the WM-Port cleaning and a replacement cable didn't fix it, then unfortunately, it must be the WM-Port itself. In this case, unless it is still under a warranty, you are probably out of luck. Without access to or the help of a Sony service center, this could get ugly really fast. I have rebuilt plenty of laptops and phones but nothing this small, so be careful who you pick for the repair, if you go that route.

Good luck and I hope you got your A55 working, and didn't make it to the bottom of this list.

May 10, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,352 of 2,409
If the unit is still charging, nothing is lost - worst case scenario is that to manage your music library (add/remove files) you'd need to take out the micro-SD card and the the file transfer in a card reader. Actually that's what I do anyway, because the unit is transferring only at usb-2 speed while the card readers work at usb-3 speeds.

May 27, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #2,353 of 2,409
Hey folks! Long time no post.

I’m hoping to see if someone has any suggestions with my A55 troubles.

The audio jack is loose and can only allow me to listen to music for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time before the audio begins “stuttering” (just like how a CD player would back in the day). I’m not sure what to do - is there a way to fix/replace the jack, or a professional I can bring it to? Or do you think it could be another software/hardware problem? I have MrWalkman’s glorious firmware installed but if I recall correctly, this problem was happening well before I installed.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll buy another one, but I have the A55L (the gold one) and I can’t seem to find it anywhere that ships to the US. I got mine from AccessoryJack but they no longer sell it.

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!

May 27, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,354 of 2,409
Hey folks! Long time no post.

I’m hoping to see if someone has any suggestions with my A55 troubles.

The audio jack is loose and can only allow me to listen to music for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time before the audio begins “stuttering” (just like how a CD player would back in the day). I’m not sure what to do - is there a way to fix/replace the jack, or a professional I can bring it to? Or do you think it could be another software/hardware problem? I have MrWalkman’s glorious firmware installed but if I recall correctly, this problem was happening well before I installed.

Worst comes to worst, I’ll buy another one, but I have the A55L (the gold one) and I can’t seem to find it anywhere that ships to the US. I got mine from AccessoryJack but they no longer sell it.

Anything would be appreciated. Thank you!
Nayparm would possibly be able to fix it but that would require sending it to UK.

May 30, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #2,355 of 2,409
Has anyone upgraded to or thinking of upgrading to Sony nw-a306 ? Please share your thoughts on how it has been .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back