Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,981 of 2,414
You should love the A55, and no it is not as good as a WM1 but with the WalkmanOne fw it really is very, very good

Will it be at least as good as the A105 and ZX507 via 3.5mm? I though the A105 over its 3.5mm was better than the ZX507 over its 3.5mm (but that best of all via its balanced).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,982 of 2,414
Will it be at least as good as the A105 and ZX507 via 3.5mm? I though the A105 over its 3.5mm was better than the ZX507 over its 3.5mm (but that best of all via its balanced).
Don’t know as I haven’t tried either

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,983 of 2,414
Hello all. Until now I wasn't really interested in Sony A55 because they didn't suit my use case that much. But nowadays I've upped my IEM game so to speak and looking into this. They appear on used market time to time. But I'm not sure what to expect. Are stock and modded sound signatures meaningfully different from usual daps and dacs? (I have an iBasso dx160 btw) Although I have songs in my library, I mostly use streaming services for convenience sake. Can anyone comment on bluetooth performance? Also can you choose different sound signatures using in USB DAC mode? I'm sure these have been discussed earlier but also thanks to MrWalkman's diligence many aspect of the DAP are still being improved so I wanted to learn the latest situation. Lastly, it seems in last version of WalkmanOne ClearAudio+ is sacrificed. Do I lose anything? Thanks

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #1,984 of 2,414
Hey folks! I feel like this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone is aware of any apps for the A55 that are similar to HiBy Link for Cayin?

I really want to be able to control playback and playlists through my iPhone. I can do extremely simple volume control and play/pause skip/return via the Sony Headphones Connect app, but I can't search music or anything else useful.

I've been using Plexamp but it's been sooooooo buggy. It rarely works for more than 30 mins a day.

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,985 of 2,414
Hey folks! I feel like this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone is aware of any apps for the A55 that are similar to HiBy Link for Cayin?

I really want to be able to control playback and playlists through my iPhone. I can do extremely simple volume control and play/pause skip/return via the Sony Headphones Connect app, but I can't search music or anything else useful.

I've been using Plexamp but it's been sooooooo buggy. It rarely works for more than 30 mins a day.
As fa as I’m aware the only thing that can be connected to any of the SonyOS dap’s is Sony’s own tiny BT remote

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,986 of 2,414
As fa as I’m aware the only thing that can be connected to any of the SonyOS dap’s is Sony’s own tiny BT remote
OOooof. That'll be even more inconvenient hahaaa. Also probably slightly awkward if I'm ever in public. But thank you!

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,987 of 2,414
Hello all. Until now I wasn't really interested in Sony A55 because they didn't suit my use case that much. But nowadays I've upped my IEM game so to speak and looking into this. They appear on used market time to time. But I'm not sure what to expect. Are stock and modded sound signatures meaningfully different from usual daps and dacs? (I have an iBasso dx160 btw) Although I have songs in my library, I mostly use streaming services for convenience sake. Can anyone comment on bluetooth performance? Also can you choose different sound signatures using in USB DAC mode? I'm sure these have been discussed earlier but also thanks to MrWalkman's diligence many aspect of the DAP are still being improved so I wanted to learn the latest situation. Lastly, it seems in last version of WalkmanOne ClearAudio+ is sacrificed. Do I lose anything? Thanks

I used to have a DX160 and sold a year ago. Streaming thr the 4.4mm of DX160, the SQ is quite good. I don't think you can get better SQ with usb dac / BT DAC from A55. Meanwhile, playing songs from the memory of A55 (with WalkmanOne), its SQ, tuning and imaging are all so amazing, even compared to the 4.4 of DX160. DX160's tuning seems to be relatively raw with lots of bass and driving power. I seldom use the USB DAC function of A55, it's not easy to find an adaptor with short cable. Besides, I don't really like the ClearAudio+ effect, its not natural and somewhat like the dolby surround sound to me. My suggestion, keep the DX160 if you use it mostly for streaming.

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,988 of 2,414
I used to have a DX160 and sold a year ago. Streaming thr the 4.4mm of DX160, the SQ is quite good. I don't think you can get better SQ with usb dac / BT DAC from A55. Meanwhile, playing songs from the memory of A55 (with WalkmanOne), its SQ, tuning and imaging are all so amazing, even compared to the 4.4 of DX160. DX160's tuning seems to be relatively raw with lots of bass and driving power. I seldom use the USB DAC function of A55, it's not easy to find an adaptor with short cable. Besides, I don't really like the ClearAudio+ effect, its not natural and somewhat like the dolby surround sound to me. My suggestion, keep the DX160 if you use it mostly for streaming.
That's what I'm planning to do. I bought dx160 to be able to use with full size headphones in the first place. Probably I will buy an a55 if I see a decent deal just to sate my curiousity but didn't want to have unrealistic expectations. Thanks again.

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,990 of 2,414
“Without FM radio” = EU model. Sony would have to follow some EU regulations if it wanted to include FM radio. Sony chose to disable it instead.
At the same time they also capped the volume to follow EU regulations on that as well.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,991 of 2,414
“Without FM radio” = EU model. Sony would have to follow some EU regulations if it wanted to include FM radio. Sony chose to disable it instead.
At the same time they also capped the volume to follow EU regulations on that as well.
And since all the hw is still intact all can be enabled by chaging the region of the player as opposed to the Sony Android players

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,992 of 2,414
And since all the hw is still intact all can be enabled by chaging the region of the player as opposed to the Sony Android players
Yes, it makes no sense to buy the Android players outside Japan as they ask for your language at the first start and all Android supported languages are there.

At least I personally won't buy them outside Japan.

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,993 of 2,414
I got my A-55 today, from Ali Express. When I was looking around I noticed u could get Japanese players, but apparently you can't change the language on them. So I made sure the seller I chose didn't say anything about Japanese, and they also had feedback from around the world that didn't say anything about different languages.

So I got it yesterday, and of course it's in Japanese. Or at least I assume it is. It's in some sort of Asian. All the navigation sort of stuff is in English, but all the music information is in Japanese. Artist, song... everything. So it's completely useless.

I can navigate settings fine, so I was able to find where you can select the language, and it's already set to English.

Is there anything i can do, or have i just wasted my money?

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #1,994 of 2,414
I got my A-55 today, from Ali Express. When I was looking around I noticed u could get Japanese players, but apparently you can't change the language on them. So I made sure the seller I chose didn't say anything about Japanese, and they also had feedback from around the world that didn't say anything about different languages.

So I got it yesterday, and of course it's in Japanese. Or at least I assume it is. It's in some sort of Asian. All the navigation sort of stuff is in English, but all the music information is in Japanese. Artist, song... everything. So it's completely useless.

I can navigate settings fine, so I was able to find where you can select the language, and it's already set to English.

Is there anything i can do, or have i just wasted my money?
When in region J you can’t change language. You need the rockbox nwdest tool or the MrWalkman WalkmanOne fw to change the region and then you get the option to change gui language. Once you change the language you can then change back to J region if you want and keep the chosen language

Users who are viewing this thread

Back