Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #1,966 of 2,423
Hey folks, I have been using an Xduoo X3 for some years now, and I've finally had enough of it playing up on me and am thus looking to replace it.

After a little research I'm looking to get the NW-A55. I have a 256gb micro SD card in my Xduoo which I would be planning to use in the Sony, and my question is, how are tracklists displayed and played on this device? Is it by track title or by tagging?

I absolutely loathed iPods for all that tagging nonsense. On my SD card I have genre folders, then group/artist folders, then albums. The tracklists for each all are always in the form of:

01. Track title
02. Track title
03. Track title

...and so on. The Xduoo just displays and plays everything in alphabetical/numerical order. Exactly as it appears on the computer when you access the SD card.

I need my new player to do the same. Is this how the NW-A55 works?

Cheers

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,967 of 2,423
Hey folks, I have been using an Xduoo X3 for some years now, and I've finally had enough of it playing up on me and am thus looking to replace it.

After a little research I'm looking to get the NW-A55. I have a 256gb micro SD card in my Xduoo which I would be planning to use in the Sony, and my question is, how are tracklists displayed and played on this device? Is it by track title or by tagging?

I absolutely loathed iPods for all that tagging nonsense. On my SD card I have genre folders, then group/artist folders, then albums. The tracklists for each all are always in the form of:

01. Track title
02. Track title
03. Track title

...and so on. The Xduoo just displays and plays everything in alphabetical/numerical order. Exactly as it appears on the computer when you access the SD card.

Cheers
It is kind of both. You can have tag-based grouping (artists, albums, etc.) and folder view. In folder view you navigate by folder structure and tracks in the same folder will be grouped together.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #1,968 of 2,423
I've been enjoying my new Moonlit Blue NW-A55 for a week or so now. Absolutely love it. Drives the Shuoer S12 just fine at the 100 to 110 range. Flashed the Walkman One firmware from Mrwalkman and everything sounds wonderful.

Quick question though, what do I need to do to ensure my album artwork shows up? Some albums it seems like I can just throw a jpeg in the folder with the files while others that doesn't seem to work. I read a thread somewhere where it might have to do with how the jpeg was saved, some box that needs to be checked or unchecked? Is that the case? Just want to know for sure what the answer is so I don't keep wasting time doing tests trying to figure it out.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,969 of 2,423
I've been enjoying my new Moonlit Blue NW-A55 for a week or so now. Absolutely love it. Drives the Shuoer S12 just fine at the 100 to 110 range. Flashed the Walkman One firmware from Mrwalkman and everything sounds wonderful.

Quick question though, what do I need to do to ensure my album artwork shows up? Some albums it seems like I can just throw a jpeg in the folder with the files while others that doesn't seem to work. I read a thread somewhere where it might have to do with how the jpeg was saved, some box that needs to be checked or unchecked? Is that the case? Just want to know for sure what the answer is so I don't keep wasting time doing tests trying to figure it out.
The stock fw only supports baseline jpg and not progressive jpg but the MrWalkman fw supports both.

You can either use art embedded in the music files or you can use an external jpg file. If you use an external jpg it must have the same name as the name of the folder it sits in

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,970 of 2,423

01. Track title
02. Track title
03. Track title

Cheers
You can use tag based navigation or folder based navigation.

To select which are available on the home screen you press the Settings icon while on the home screen and then select the option to choose what is shown on the home screen.

Deeper in the Settings, I think under Playback options, there is a setting where you can choose what happens when the last song in a selection has finished, should playback stop or should it continue with the first song in the next folder/artist/album (depending on how you started playback). I have it set to stop as I always choose an album and play that end to end.

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,973 of 2,423
This player really is fantastic. I've been using it since January, and it's fulfilled all my requirements. The battery life is excellent.

Unfortunately, it appears it's been discontinued since it's no longer on Sony's site. What a shame.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,974 of 2,423
This player really is fantastic. I've been using it since January, and it's fulfilled all my requirements. The battery life is excellent.

Unfortunately, it appears it's been discontinued since it's no longer on Sony's site. What a shame.
Maybe out in the West.

Japan is still getting new variants - mostly collaborations with Marvel, Disney, etc.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,975 of 2,423

I've had ZX2, ZX300, A105, ZX507 but never to A40/50 series.

I just picked up an 'As New' one from Amazon Japan cheap to see what its like.

Do you know if I have to flash from Japanese to English first then to Mr Walkman firmware?

Question to all really, and whats the preffered MrWalkman tuning, the 1Z ?

Also, am I right in thinking you can send audio over LDAC to it from your phone to listen via the A50 ?

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #1,976 of 2,423
Do you know if I have to flash from Japanese to English first then to Mr Walkman firmware?

Just installing the firmware gets the language to English.

Also, am I right in thinking you can send audio over LDAC to it from your phone to listen via the A50 ?

Yes, it has a BT receiver function. Soon there will be an update for the Walkman One firmware, which will reduce latency when using the USB DAC mode, so you can also watch videos, for example. Normally there's a ~1-2 seconds delay, making it suitable for music only.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,977 of 2,423
Just installing the firmware gets the language to English.

Yes, it has a BT receiver function. Soon there will be an update for the Walkman One firmware, which will reduce latency when using the USB DAC mode, so you can also watch videos, for example. Normally there's a ~1-2 seconds delay, making it suitable for music only.
And does it really make it sound as good as the 1A/1Z over 3.5mm connection?

Do you know if it will work with my little Sony BT remote too?

Is MW1Z profile to be used? (see thats what you use yourself).

Who would want to watch videos on such a tiny screen! Pure music player for me.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,978 of 2,423
And does it really make it sound as good as the 1A/1Z over 3.5mm connection?

Do you know if it will work with my little Sony BT remote too?

It can't make it as good, as 1A/Z has better hardware, but it will definitely sound better.

The remote works, yes. Read all the info regarding the firmware, on www.nwmods.ml, as well as in the text files included in the firmware .zip from the website.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,979 of 2,423
It can't make it as good, as 1A/Z has better hardware, but it will definitely sound better.

The remote works, yes. Read all the info regarding the firmware, on www.nwmods.ml, as well as in the text files included in the firmware .zip from the website.
Will do and it should arrive by Wed/Thu. I did the firmware region update before on a ZX300 so assume similar method.

A55 import only ended up costing £120 with duties and delivery via Amazon Japan.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,980 of 2,423
Will do and it should arrive by Wed/Thu. I did the firmware region update before on a ZX300 so assume similar method.

A55 import only ended up costing £120 with duties and delivery via Amazon Japan.
You should love the A55, and no it is not as good as a WM1 but with the WalkmanOne fw it really is very, very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back