Sony NW-A50 Series
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #1,951 of 2,423
Thanks for the feedback, you guys sold me on the NW-A55. Gonna do my best to fit it into my budget.

It's listed as the "L" version, which I guess is the "Language" version? When I flash the firmware, will it get rid of those options? I'd almost prefer if it does because I have no use for them.

After ordering the Tripowin Olina (will be here tomorrow) and the Letshuoer S12 (be here in a week or two) this will be the last piece of the puzzle.

Mar 14, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,952 of 2,423
Thanks for the feedback, you guys sold me on the NW-A55. Gonna do my best to fit it into my budget.

It's listed as the "L" version, which I guess is the "Language" version? When I flash the firmware, will it get rid of those options? I'd almost prefer if it does because I have no use for them.

After ordering the Tripowin Olina (will be here tomorrow) and the Letshuoer S12 (be here in a week or two) this will be the last piece of the puzzle.

The L version is the one that doesn't show the FM radio option by default - changing the region while on the stock firmware can make the FM radio show up. Except this software limitation based on the player's region, all A55 players are the same.

On the Walkman One firmware there's no FM radio option anyways.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,954 of 2,423
Does anyone use the Dynamic Normalizer DSP functionality (with Walkman One FW)? For songs that it make louder, do you find any distortion at all?
I never use it as it totally destroys the dynamic seing within an album but if you use playlists and do a lot of shuffle play it might be meaningfull

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #1,955 of 2,423

AFAIK the "L" version is the EU version, with software loudness limit. When you change the region code (e.g by using the Mr Walkman firmware) you'll have either more or less functions, depending on the region and your own choice. Check out the FAQ on Mr Walkman's homepage

Mar 15, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #1,956 of 2,423
AFAIK the "L" version is the EU version, with software loudness limit. When you change the region code (e.g by using the Mr Walkman firmware) you'll have either more or less functions, depending on the region and your own choice. Check out the FAQ on Mr Walkman's homepage

Yes, they also have the volume limitation.

They should be A55LN (loud not) 😅

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,957 of 2,423
Does anyone use the Dynamic Normalizer DSP functionality (with Walkman One FW)? For songs that it make louder, do you find any distortion at all?
I use it when I listen to classical music bcos my collection is basically from uneven recorded CDs from d 90s. I don't hear any distortions. But then my collection is already not great quality so maybe the DSP can't make it worse.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,960 of 2,423
The Japanese Sony Homepage says the following for the codes

A55 = 16GB
A56 = 32GB
A57 = 64GB

R = Red
N = Gold
B = Black
L = Blue
G = Green

HN = Headphone Bundle
WI = Wireless Headphone Bundle

The Limited Versions should be called something like .CEW

For Example A55L.CEW

If you have an additional L before the color, that means Language, on these Models you can change the language.

For example

NW-A55L --> Blue Walkman
NW-A55LL --> Blue Walkman and you can change the language
NW-A55LL.CEW --> Blue Walkman and you can change the language and you have the limiter

As you can always change the language with the Android Models, they don't use the L. So if you have an NW-A105L, that means its Blue and nothing else. If its NW-A105L.CEW that means it is blue and does have the volume limiter.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #1,961 of 2,423
The Japanese Sone Homepage says the following for the codes

A55 = 16GB
A56 = 32GB
A57 = 64GB

R = Red
N = Gold
B = Black
L = Blue
G = Green

HN = Headphone Bundle
WI = Wireless Headphone Bundle

The Limited Versions should be called something like .CEW

For Example A55L.CEW

If you have an additional L before the color, that means Language, on these Models you can change the language.

For example

NW-A55L --> Blue Walkman
NW-A55LL --> Blue Walkman and you can change the language
NW-A55LL.CEW --> Blue Walkman and you can change the language and you have the limiter

As you can always change the language with the Android Models, they don't use the L. So if you have an NW-A105L, that means its Blue and nothing else. If its NW-A105L.CEW that means it is blue and does have the volume limiter.

You cannot change the language only on an A55 with the J region.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #1,962 of 2,423
You cannot change the language only on an A55 with the J region.
I've noticed that, but there is no other explanation i found so far. But sometimes these codes have an regional meaning, so the Informations i find in Japan might be wrong.

As not all Models who are limited use the L, it seems to be unrelated to the Limiter. I just asked Sony directly, lets see what they say

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,963 of 2,423
In European stores it is/was always A55L + color - see my previous purchase

Though if I look at the A55 now on amazon.de it says "Model name: NWA55LG.CEW" for the Green version, so you are also correct for the .CEW portion

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.45.19.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 12.45.19.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,965 of 2,423
Actually, have a question: anywhere to get an official case without importing from Japan? Preferably for less than the $55-65 they all are on ebay?

I'm pretty tapped out after new IEM's and a new DAP, so closer to $20 or $30 would be preferable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back