Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 4, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #258 of 2,411
Amazing quality with small size. Thumb up for MQA files
20190105_033500.jpg

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #260 of 2,411
Hello Fragzone, I am interested in your post about the line out any reference link please? I am on the edge of buying both line out dock and OTG cable.

Sure. I will edit this post in an hour or two with some links. IIRC correctly it wasn't from any official spec sheet I found. Most of that info came from deep in previous sony walkman threads on headfi or steve hoffman forums.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #262 of 2,411
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #265 of 2,411
Hello Fragzone, I am interested in your post about the line out any reference link please? I am on the edge of buying both line out dock and OTG cable.

Hey here is the thread where I learnt about the 'problems' with Sony line-out. It appears I didn't continue reading the thread when I initially did the research because it goes onto indicate it is still a valid possibility even though it may not be true line out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-a40-series-nw-a45-a46-a47.854779/page-46

Cliffs:
-3rd party walkman to lineout cable works on sony nw-a45, and when in operation the volume level level is unimpeded by the volume rocker indicating the device is at least attempting to maximise its signal in a bid to create a LO signal
-The 3rd party cables are cheap (9 dollars) therefore very unlikely they have an inbuilt DAC indicating you are getting the internal processing from the device and not some junk
-Head-fi regular user vouches for using a regular HO on Sony devices . They did not own the a45 but had the a17 for years and relayed his experience with Sony products in that the quality of their HO is in effect as good as any official LO he has tried. He deemed the need for the 3rd party cable unnecessary given the superb quality and compatibility he was able to achieve with varied portable AMPS using the HO from his a17.
-Another user said that he was confused about all the fuss concerning the conjecture of Sony's ability to provide pure LO, indicating that generally Sony's DAPS are rated for 0.3Vrms and therefore should be technically capable of providing a signal to the vast majority of aux inputs safely through the HO.
-More 3rd party confirmation that the nw-a45 HO/3rd party cable going into an external amp sounds superb from a few sources

For what its worth I just ran a HO of my n55 into my desktop speakers. They are audioengine 2 clones I got for very cheap that are surprisingly competent on a pair of iso-acoustic stands so I am able to discern the difference between different sources quite easily. I am running the output on 115/120 given this is usually the level I will be using when I drive my dt770 250ohm beyers. Amazingly enough yes the n55 can do that..... although I would certainly not recommend the n55 as a main driver for any kind of high impedance headphones, however the reality is the 6s falls to pieces on those cans, whereas they at least maintain perfect composure from this device albeit without great power. Anyway that is besides the point. I am going through my reference material right now on my powered speakers and the n55 sounds better than my 80 dollar dac/amp (dilvpoetry dac x-6, still a really good dac but very bass heavy and not the cleanest), and also the fiio e10k. I didn't expand on sound in my initial post but I would have to say the Sony has world class presentation in their sound. Perhaps you do not like the 'expression' of the music or its shape, but the imaging, soundstage and control of the elements that compose a song is as good as any DAC I heard. So now in hindsight, I will probably get one of the 3rd party cables however I am unsure if I will ever use it, the results I am getting right now with the HO speak for itself.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #266 of 2,411
Finally!!!!
My NWA55 Arrived!
I was looking an update for my NW-A25HN.
Fiest impressions are very good. There's a noticeable audio quality improvement with respect to the A25HN. Bass and highs are better defined.
Comparing it to a phone, is freaking awesome, a huge step.
I really love the UI, you CAN create playlists directly in the player with a KEYBOARD. Maybe you won't have this fuction, because I installed the Japanese firmware (was very very easy with Rockbox).
Gestures are fluid and animations too. I hate Cowon or Fiio players becuase they are laggy and buggy. For wxample, while playing a DSD file on the Fio X3 III, you can balery use the UI, it's so frustrating...

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #268 of 2,411
Finally!!!!
My NWA55 Arrived!
I was looking an update for my NW-A25HN.
Fiest impressions are very good. There's a noticeable audio quality improvement with respect to the A25HN. Bass and highs are better defined.
Comparing it to a phone, is freaking awesome, a huge step.
I really love the UI, you CAN create playlists directly in the player with a KEYBOARD. Maybe you won't have this fuction, because I installed the Japanese firmware (was very very easy with Rockbox).
Gestures are fluid and animations too. I hate Cowon or Fiio players becuase they are laggy and buggy. For wxample, while playing a DSD file on the Fio X3 III, you can balery use the UI, it's so frustrating...

I've used some kind of Chinese DAPs - Benjie T6, Aigo 108, Fiio X3 gen3. But after all, im with Walkman in the end

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #269 of 2,411
Have you tried DestTool? https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
Most of the comments I read about it were for removing EU volume cap, but it looks like you can change language region also. Might be worth a try (plus if you brick it somehow, at least you are considering getting a new player anyway).
Have used it. Works perfectly. I recommend installing Canada region firmware.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #270 of 2,411
But, you don't have to install a firmware itself. The player has in the NAND all the configurations for all the regions. The program simply tell the player that it's from another region and it will change the features automatically

Users who are viewing this thread

Back