Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #274 of 2,409
Should I convert all my flacs to mqa? They are all 16bit 96khz.

MQA processing is done during the recording and mastering process and isn't something end users can convert to. Mostly a benefit for streaming HiRes audio but you can purchase MQA tracks online. Whether they are worth it or not is questionable especially since you could only play them on devices that support MQA and there aren't many.

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #275 of 2,409
Hey here is the thread where I learnt about the 'problems' with Sony line-out. It appears I didn't continue reading the thread when I initially did the research because it goes onto indicate it is still a valid possibility even though it may not be true line out.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-a40-series-nw-a45-a46-a47.854779/page-46

Cliffs:
-3rd party walkman to lineout cable works on sony nw-a45, and when in operation the volume level level is unimpeded by the volume rocker indicating the device is at least attempting to maximise its signal in at attempt to create a LO signal
-The 3rd party cables are cheap (9 dollars) therefore very unlikely they have an inbuilt DAC indicating you are getting the internal processing from the device and not some junk
-Head-fi regular user vouches for using a regular HO on Sony devices . They did not own the a45 but had the a17 for years and relayed his experience with Sony products in that the quality of their HO is in effect as good as any official LO he has tried. He deemed the need for the 3rd party cable unnecessary given the superb quality and compatibility he was able to achieve with varied portable AMPS using the HO from his a17.
-Another user said that he was confused about all the fuss concerning the conjecture of Sony's ability to provide pure LO, indicating that generally Sony's DAPS are rated for 0.3Vrms and therefore should be technically capable of providing a signal to the vast majority of aux inputs safely through the HO.
-More 3rd party confirmation that the nw-a45 HO/3rd party cable going into an external amp sounds superb from a few sources

For what its worth I just ran a HO of my n55 into my desktop speakers. They are audioengine 2 clones I got for very cheap that are surprisingly competent on a pair of iso-acoustic stands so I am able to discern the difference between different sources quite easily. I am running the output on 115/120 given this is usually the level I will be using when I drive my dt770 250ohm beyers. Amazingly enough yes the n55 can do that..... although I would certainly not recommend the n55 as a main driver for any kind of high impedance headphones, however the reality is the 6s falls to pieces on those cans, whereas they at least maintain perfect composure from this device albeit without great power. Anyway that is besides the point. I am going through my reference material right now on my powered speakers and the n55 sounds better than my 80 dollar dac/amp (dilvpoetry dac x-6, still a really good dac but very bass heavy and not the cleanest), and also the fiio e10k. I didn't expand on sound in my initial post but I would have to say the Sony has world class presentation in their sound. Perhaps you do not like the 'expression' of the music or its shape, but the imaging, soundstage and control of the elements that compose a song is as good as any DAC I heard. So now in hindsight, I will probably get one of the 3rd party cables however I am unsure if I will ever use it, the results I am getting right now with the HO speak for itself.

have you tried line-out with car AUX?!
curious how it will perform..

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #277 of 2,409
have you tried line-out with car AUX?!
curious how it will perform..
No but I have been using it with a couple of my speakers, my desktop ones and my high quality wifi speaker (through the aux input). The more and more I listen the more I can appreciate the Sony sound. So clean and so tightly controlled. I am imagine it would sound superb in your car.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #280 of 2,409
Speaking of MQA, TIDAL just released an updated Android app that plays their MQA Master tracks.

Listening to this now...

TIDAL Master --> Google Pixel 2 --> LDAC Bluetooth --> Sony NW-A55 --> Shure SE846-CL.

Sounds nice. Not sure I would be able to tell the difference between this and MP3/320 on the same setup.

No gapless playback, however…

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #281 of 2,409
Hi everyone,

I was thinking to buy a NW-A55HN (or 56HN) from amazon.co.jp but everyone is saying that the UI it's in Japanese. Someone that has bought it from amazon could confirm this? Do you know a site to buy the A50 where the language isn't in Japanese?

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #282 of 2,409
Hi everyone,

I was thinking to buy a NW-A55HN (or 56HN) from amazon.co.jp but everyone is saying that the UI it's in Japanese. Someone that has bought it from amazon could confirm this? Do you know a site to buy the A50 where the language isn't in Japanese?

AFAIK, you can change a region setting with a tool, mentioned in previous pages.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #283 of 2,409
But, you don't have to install a firmware itself. The player has in the NAND all the configurations for all the regions. The program simply tell the player that it's from another region and it will change the features automatically

You had Japanese firmware installed out of the box? Now after using the tool, do you have multilanguage UI?

AFAIK, you can change a region setting with a tool, mentioned in previous pages.

Thanks a lot for the info

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #284 of 2,409
Amazon.co.jp won't send the player to my country and I can't buy it from eBay because I have to pay too much taxes. I don't know what to do: buy the A40 or wait hopefully for a release of the A50?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back