Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #244 of 2,411
whats your software version number please, mine ootb is 1.00, I saw on Sony website there are 1.01 https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a55
also best charger output suits for A55?

https://www.sony-mea.com/en/electro...usic-players-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a55#downloads
Download the firmware-connect your Walkman-double click to firmware file to update(not much difference from 1.0 ver). Note: backup your music before update. Mount out your sd card in Setting too.

Im using Energized wall charger 5v-1A for my portable gears. A55 will be full charged in about 2h30 with it

Jan 2, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #246 of 2,411
I'm thinking about joining the A55 club. Before I take the plunge can anyone tell me if there is a song/track limit on these devices? I would be looking to use a 256GB SD card with just under 30,000 tracks on it. All MP3 for now, but a 50/50 mix of MP3 and FLAC when funds permit buying a 512GB card. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #247 of 2,411
can anyone give comparison between A35,A45 and A55 in terms of sound quality?
is there an upgrade in each iteration?
ive tried both A45 and A55, A45 is much more warm, thick and fun sounding. lacks of detail just like how old sony gear was. going from A45 to A55 is like going from Sony MDR 1A to MDR1AM2, it sounds so bright, digital yet analytical. personally instead of A45, I'd rather pick Shanling M0 because the sound signature is similar.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #248 of 2,411
ive tried both A45 and A55, A45 is much more warm, thick and fun sounding. lacks of detail just like how old sony gear was. going from A45 to A55 is like going from Sony MDR 1A to MDR1AM2, it sounds so bright, digital yet analytical. personally instead of A45, I'd rather pick Shanling M0 because the sound signature is similar.

if that's true then i think A45 would actually be better than M0 due to bigger screen and smoother UI..but then again it has lower output power.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #249 of 2,411
In my perception M0 is brighter than A55 , I have both on my collection (see previous page for photo). I would say Metal/Rock music suits better with M0 - Jazz, Vocal better with A55.
It is based on my ears and my cans..

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #250 of 2,411
Heavy warm V shaped A55 IMO, I am coming from AKM and ESS .. any idea whats DAC used in A55?

Sony does not actually have a traditional DAC the design is Sony's custom and not like other DAP's in the market. I could get technical about it but the bottom line is you can't call it AKM or ESS etc it is Sony's proprietary design and helps their DAP's get great battery life. What I like about Sony DAP's is their sound customization options really do have an affect on the sound unlike some DAP's where the result is often very subtle or makes the sound worse.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #251 of 2,411
In my perception M0 is brighter than A55 , I have both on my collection (see previous page for photo). I would say Metal/Rock music suits better with M0 - Jazz, Vocal better with A55.
It is based on my ears and my cans..

I would agree as I have the M0 and having listened to several Sony DAP's their sound is definitely warmer. Coming from a Sony DAP it definitely took me awhile to adjust to the M0 sound and while I like the M0 sound quality I still find myself missing that warmth that Sony offers. I would love to demo an A55 but they aren't in Canada yet and no retail stores here carry Sony's A series DAP's anymore where can demo before you buy. I am waiting for the Shanling M5S to show up here at some point to try it out as well.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #252 of 2,411
P_20190104_083011_1_BOK.jpg
Enjoying this earspeaker with A55. Nearly good sinergy only if lows does not evaporates due to fitting :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #253 of 2,411
I have had the nw-a55 for about 6 weeks now. I started running mountains as my main form of exercise and that mandated a lightweight DAP. I wanted good battery life, small and absolutely positively without android. I did about a day of hectic research and yeah the Sony was clearly the only one I was interested in despite its heavy pricetag.

First thing is first. This thing has the best build quality of any consumer device I have ever owned. You will see that Sony has a very strong reputation online for their expertise in industrial design (Sony tends to be hit and miss with a lot of their products, but this is the one area they really excel seemingly) and when you are holding the thing there is no surprise why. I was holding and admiring it a couple weeks ago, getting these very nostalgic feels and then it hit me. This thing has all the hallmarks of those luxury consumer electronic devices back in the day, such as those gold plated casio calculators or one of those watches. At their time those items were very simple, the form matched the function and they were devices you owned, at least feeling as if you had something of inherent value due to the sheer beauty of design and quality of construction. The technology of screens, audio hardware, storage, battery life have converged to meet with the pinnacle of industrial design, to provide us with something like the aforementioned products that stood on the merits of its form or function alone. In an age full of 'disposable' smartphones with cheap flimsy screens and questionable toughness, this product looks down at such uninspired devices pityingly. It is obvious from holding this device, it does not want to be forgotten. You will want this device in 10 years as much as you want it today, in my very honest opinion.

The sound is good and blows my iphone 6s out of the water. I use Koss Porta pros with it FWIW. What I assumed was a messy albeit good headphone turned in this refined beauty with this DAP. However there are some misconceptions I want to clear up. Firstly, if you are someone who requires a true line out from your DAP, this probably isn't the one for you. Yes you can get the Walkman to RCA/3.5mm out however, it has been suspected for some time that this still does not provide a 'true' line-out signal that has been untainted by the amplifying unit of the DAP. So yeah, that is the first thing, it is likely whatever signal you are getting out using these 'line-out' devices are just as tampered with as the signal that would be coming directly from the headphone out. Secondly, Sony only supports propietry data out with another variant of their walkman cable, so should you want to go down that route you will be limited to using Sony's ridiculously expensive dedicated amps, which basically turn your device into a glorified hardrive given the DAC duties are also offloaded to the Sony amp.

edit:
underlined may technically be true but all reports and known specifications indicate using the HO out on the device is technically fine and works very well with any aux input, post on page 18 with more information pertaining to the HO/LO options for the device

bolded is wrong, walkman to usb cable available and several other adaptions for other devices/connections

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #254 of 2,411
I have had the nw-a55 for about 6 weeks now. I started running mountains as my main form of exercise and that mandated a lightweight DAP. I wanted good battery life, small and absolutely positively without android. I did about a day of hectic research and yeah the Sony was clearly the only one I was interested in despite its heavy pricetag.

First thing is first. This thing has the best build quality of any consumer device I have ever owned. You will see that Sony has a very strong reputation online for their expertise in industrial design (Sony tends to be hit and miss with a lot of their products, but this is the one area they really excel seemingly) and when you are holding the thing there is no surprise why. I was holding and admiring it a couple weeks ago, getting these very nostalgic feels and then it hit me. This thing has all the hallmarks of those luxury consumer electronic devices back in the day, such as those gold plated casio calculators or one of those watches. At their time those items were very simple, the form matched the function and they were devices you owned, at least feeling as if you had something of inherent value due to the sheer beauty of design and quality of construction. The technology of screens, audio hardware, storage, battery life have converged to meet with the pinnacle of industrial design, to provide us with something like the aforementioned products that stood on the merits of its form or function alone. In an age full of 'disposable' smartphones with cheap flimsy screens and questionable toughness, this product looks down at such uninspired devices pityingly. It is obvious from holding this device, it does not want to be forgotten. You will want this device in 10 years as much as you want it today, in my very honest opinion.

The sound is good and blows my iphone 6s out of the water. I use Koss Porta pros with it FWIW. What I assumed was a messy albeit good headphone turned in this refined beauty with this DAP. However there are some misconceptions I want to clear up. Firstly, if you are someone who requires a true line out from your DAP, this probably isn't the one for you. Yes you can get the Walkman to RCA/3.5mm out however, it has been suspected for some time that this still does not provide a 'true' line-out signal that has been untainted by the amplifying unit of the DAP. So yeah, that is the first thing, it is likely whatever signal you are getting out using these 'line-out' devices are just as tampered with as the signal that would be coming directly from the headphone out. Secondly, Sony only supports propietry data out with another variant of their walkman cable, so should you want to go down that route you will be limited to using Sony's ridiculously expensive dedicated amps, which basically turn your device into a glorified hardrive given the DAC duties are also offloaded to the Sony amp.

Hello Fragzone, I am interested in your post about the line out any reference link please? I am on the edge of buying both line out dock and OTG cable.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #255 of 2,411
Secondly, Sony only supports propietry data out with another variant of their walkman cable, so should you want to go down that route you will be limited to using Sony's ridiculously expensive dedicated amps, which basically turn your device into a glorified hardrive given the DAC duties are also offloaded to the Sony amp.

You can use FiiO Q1 Mark II DAC with L27 cable (wm port to USB). Cable costs ~16$ on AE (FiiO Official Store).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back