Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Apr 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,951 of 1,999
I've been using the NW-A45 for three years. Last year, I upgraded by 256 GB micro SD to 512 GB. I know they recommend a max of 128 GB cards, but I never had an issue with either the 256 or the 512. Starting two weeks ago, as I was routinely adding music I realized that new files were missing. They're on the card and I see then when I'm connected to the computer, but they're not added when I disconnect and the database is rebuilt. It appears that after hitting about either 320 GB of music or 43k songs (total, between SD and internal), it stopped adding new music to the database, leaving off the folders that were added last. This became more clear to me after I reformatted the SD card today and repopulated it and it neatly cut off near the start of artists starting with W, meaning that it's missing most W folders as well as all X, Y or Z. All the files are there, just not being recognized by the unit, and everything from A to W is there.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any workarounds? I also tried resetting the unit to factory presets, which didn't fix anything. When I first noticed this happening, forcing a database rebuild would clear it up, but now that stopped working. I'm tempted to jump ship to Astell&Kern, but would love to figure this out and not spend $700 on a new unit.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,953 of 1,999
I've been using the NW-A45 for three years. Last year, I upgraded by 256 GB micro SD to 512 GB. I know they recommend a max of 128 GB cards, but I never had an issue with either the 256 or the 512. Starting two weeks ago, as I was routinely adding music I realized that new files were missing. They're on the card and I see then when I'm connected to the computer, but they're not added when I disconnect and the database is rebuilt. It appears that after hitting about either 320 GB of music or 43k songs (total, between SD and internal), it stopped adding new music to the database, leaving off the folders that were added last. This became more clear to me after I reformatted the SD card today and repopulated it and it neatly cut off near the start of artists starting with W, meaning that it's missing most W folders as well as all X, Y or Z. All the files are there, just not being recognized by the unit, and everything from A to W is there.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any workarounds? I also tried resetting the unit to factory presets, which didn't fix anything. When I first noticed this happening, forcing a database rebuild would clear it up, but now that stopped working. I'm tempted to jump ship to Astell&Kern, but would love to figure this out and not spend $700 on a new unit.

I’m pretty sure there is a file limit rather than a capacity limit on the players so that is probably what the issue is.
I can’t remember what the file limit is though sorry

May 31, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,955 of 1,999
Hi. How well can the Sony Walkman A45 drive Sennheiser HD 598? Can anyone please shed some light on this. I am in a situation where I can buy either Hiby R3 pro or the Sony A45/55. I only care about sound quality. And I also have a Schiit Magni 3 amplifier. But I don't think that the Sony walkman A45 is even anywhere near the "2 vrms" threshold for desktop amps like Magni 3. So that has me leaning towards Hiby r3 pro. But then I think it's also possible to keep the Sony Walkman at full volume through ho and connect it to the magni 3 but then again I am afraid that the magni will be underpowered by walkman's low vrms. I have heard that Sony Walkman A45/55 has excellent sound signature so I wonder if the headphone out of the Sony Walkman can easily drive the Sennheiser HD 598 because that is the only headphone I have and I can't have it underpowered. Currently I own a Fiio X5iii and I am hoping that the Sony A45/55 may offer some sonic upgrade over the X5iii. In any case the hd 598 is all I have and I can't have it underpowered so I am posting here to get some answers based on other people's experiences with the Sony A45/55 and headphones like the hd 598.

May 31, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,956 of 1,999
Hi. How well can the Sony Walkman A45 drive Sennheiser HD 598? Can anyone please shed some light on this. I am in a situation where I can buy either Hiby R3 pro or the Sony A45/55. I only care about sound quality. And I also have a Schiit Magni 3 amplifier. But I don't think that the Sony walkman A45 is even anywhere near the "2 vrms" threshold for desktop amps like Magni 3. So that has me leaning towards Hiby r3 pro. But then I think it's also possible to keep the Sony Walkman at full volume through ho and connect it to the magni 3 but then again I am afraid that the magni will be underpowered by walkman's low vrms. I have heard that Sony Walkman A45/55 has excellent sound signature so I wonder if the headphone out of the Sony Walkman can easily drive the Sennheiser HD 598 because that is the only headphone I have and I can't have it underpowered. Currently I own a Fiio X5iii and I am hoping that the Sony A45/55 may offer some sonic upgrade over the X5iii. In any case the hd 598 is all I have and I can't have it underpowered so I am posting here to get some answers based on other people's experiences with the Sony A45/55 and headphones like the hd 598.
i doubt sony NW-A47 will be powerful enough to drive Sennheiser HD 598 esp at 50 ohms, a sub US$200 driving a US$250 headphones with high ohms is not possible, surely you should consider sony NW-ZX300 and using Balanced output and swap Sennheiser HD 598 cables to Balanced 4.4mm cables, that would easily drive it and it would sound significantly better an NW-A47 as well, yes, Sony Nw-ZX300 will be more expensive, but it will also sound significantly better than either the NW-A47 and Hiby r3 pro as both are entry level players

Jun 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,957 of 1,999
i doubt sony NW-A47 will be powerful enough to drive Sennheiser HD 598 esp at 50 ohms, a sub US$200 driving a US$250 headphones with high ohms is not possible, surely you should consider sony NW-ZX300 and using Balanced output and swap Sennheiser HD 598 cables to Balanced 4.4mm cables, that would easily drive it and it would sound significantly better an NW-A47 as well, yes, Sony Nw-ZX300 will be more expensive, but it will also sound significantly better than either the NW-A47 and Hiby r3 pro as both are entry level players
my sony a45/a105 drive the 300ohm hd600 well enough for most music. no, not a lot of power, but the quality is decent and all but the quietest music can be played at average volumes... 50ohm? i think that is doable. the sonys have superb audio quality and i have run mine into my jds amps with full headphone output volume and no problems.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #1,958 of 1,999
my sony a45/a105 drive the 300ohm hd600 well enough for most music. no, not a lot of power, but the quality is decent and all but the quietest music can be played at average volumes... 50ohm? i think that is doable. the sonys have superb audio quality and i have run mine into my jds amps with full headphone output volume and no problems.

Do you think the Sony walkman A45 can juice something like the hd 598 comfortably? I just don't want my hd 598 to be underpowered at any cost. Also does the Sony A45 have enough power to connected to a desktop amp like the magni 3 because I have read that magni 3 requires a full 2 vrms and sony A45 is nowhere close to that.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,959 of 1,999
Do you think the Sony walkman A45 can juice something like the hd 598 comfortably? I just don't want my hd 598 to be underpowered at any cost. Also does the Sony A45 have enough power to connected to a desktop amp like the magni 3 because I have read that magni 3 requires a full 2 vrms and sony A45 is nowhere close to that.
it's hard to say. i'm cautious with my hearing, and while i listen to things at what i consider reasonable levels, i never really push things too loudly. I'm sometimes literally shocked at how loud some people listen to music. If you prefer things louder than me that the hd600 wouldn't be good on the a45. for me it can run almost everything at around 50-75% power, 80-90% for quieter songs.

I haven't heard the 598, but if the impedance is lower it stands to reason it will be louder at any given volume than the 300ohm hd600. But even then not as loud as a 16 ohm iem. So a lot depends on your expectations. I would have no reservations doing it myself, but then as I said, I don't have any reference for your volume expectations... The a45 isn't really a powerful "amp" per se. It's very similar in output to an iphone 6 or 7. 35mw at 16ohm to be exact. so lower at 50ohm.

If you're super critical or prefer listening a bit louder, I would say get a dedicated amp. If you don't listen too loudly and quality over volume is important, the a45 output is superb quality with super specs. That's unfortunately all i can say. I could give you example tracks and the volume i listen to them at on my a45 with hd600. if that works the 598 will only be louder...

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #1,960 of 1,999
project z firmware using how long the runtime? (flac 16 / 44.1)

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,961 of 1,999
Thanks. Definitely seems like it must be around 43k because I'm sitting at something like 42,900 and should be around 44,000.
It may well be a limit on the size of the database file -- that it can only hold a certain number of characters. So it can hold everything you've got up to W but then it hits the character limit. This was a problem with budget DAPs, like the great little Sansas, back when the maximum expected card size was 16GB but larger cards still worked.

It would take a while, album by album, but with a tagging program like mp3tag (Windows) or kid3 (Mac) you can do a bulk renaming of files -- make your filenames Track-Title.mp3 instead of Track-Artist-Title.mp3, blank out any Comments, etc. You can also remove imbedded art from every track and just leave cover.jpg or folder.jpg in the album folder.

Try retagging an album or two and see if more files appear at the end of the alphabet.

Since it's making it all the way to W, maybe if you're ruthless on reducing the metadata you can get all the way to Z.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,962 of 1,999
Mine has no trouble at all driving Sennheiser hd580, hd 6xx, cleanly and as loudly as I care to listen. And either line out or phone out to any desktop amp I have (Schitt Vali or Quicksilver HA) or a desktop integrated (old Luxman).

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,964 of 1,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back