Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,966 of 1,999
So...I failed.

It might be because I'm on Windows 11 Insider, but none of the stock revert app recognise the device.
It is connected and with Mass Storage on, but they all keep asking to connect the device.

Any hints?

Btw I think I am on the Project Z one, but tried them all anyway.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,967 of 1,999
So...I failed.

It might be because I'm on Windows 11 Insider, but none of the stock revert app recognise the device.
It is connected and with Mass Storage on, but they all keep asking to connect the device.

Any hints?

Btw I think I am on the Project Z one, but tried them all anyway.

You can check the Unit information menu to see what you have installed.

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #1,969 of 1,999
Sep 12, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,972 of 1,999
Thank you for the great work Mr.Walkman,

Can anyone share, which tuning has the harder hitting bass? midnight v2 or project Z tuning? And which tuning has the overall better sounding?
Thank you.

:beerchug:

Project Z ticks your questions.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,973 of 1,999
Project Z ticks your questions.
Hahaa thanks for your prompt response,
just finished install the midnight tuning 🤦🏽🤣

btw one noob question, if I want to change the tuning from midnight to project z n vice versa, should I revert back first to stock and then redo the process again? or can we just simply install the tuning only without revert back to stock firmware?

Thank you.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,974 of 1,999
Hahaa thanks for your prompt response,
just finished install the midnight tuning 🤦🏽🤣

btw one noob question, if I want to change the tuning from midnight to project z n vice versa, should I revert back first to stock and then redo the process again? or can we just simply install the tuning only without revert back to stock firmware?

Thank you.

You should be fine just installing the other tuning.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,975 of 1,999
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,976 of 1,999
I don't suppose anyone could assist me in changing the default language to english from Japanese? I just got my a45 and the lovely seller neglected to mention that even though it was sold on an english site that the language was japanese. I've been hunting the settings but haven't been able to do it; my katakana and kanji is just too limited.

Edit: I'm all good, the new firmware from mrwalkman sorted it. It's great for everything :)!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,978 of 1,999
Hi everybody!

Just got the Olina IEM. Would it make a great pair with the Sony NW-A45? Other options are the Shanling M3X or the Hiby R3 Pro Saber. Thanks a lot in advance!

In any case, I recommend the Walkman One firmware for the A45 - it adds the BT Receiver mode, as well as the Vinyl Processor, and it improves the sound overall. The mod is based on the WM1A/Z firmware.

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #1,979 of 1,999
Just a heads up for anyone who’s player is set to J region, when I used the model switcher it changed the language on the player to Japanese.

So I then used destination tool to change to another region so I could change language back to English. I then went back to J region and then used Reloaded+ and it’s working perfectly.

A player that costs £150 sounding this good is just incredible
@Dtuck90 and @MrWalkman I'm asking my questions here, in the hope that someone else searching online as I was, will find this great thread and the answers.

While shopping on Amazon Japan, I noticed that they list an A40 model and an A45 model. Is the A40 for the Japanese market and the A45 for the western market or are they referencing the same model? If they're separate models, will the Walkman One firmware for the A45 work on the A40 too?

Regarding the language, if I understand, changing the region from Japan to an English speaking region, will allow the English language to be selected. Is this accurate? If so, how can the region be changed without understanding Japanese to navigate through the prompts?

I appreciate your assistance in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,980 of 1,999
In any case, I recommend the Walkman One firmware for the A45 - it adds the BT Receiver mode, as well as the Vinyl Processor, and it improves the sound overall. The mod is based on the WM1A/Z firmware.
@MrWalkman Does the Walkman One firmware for the A45 also work on the A55?

Edit: Actually, I see there's A50 firmware on your website, but I'll leave the question in case someone else needs it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back