Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Feb 21, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #1,936 of 1,999
Hi again. I have another concern re BT receiver. I can't seem to pair it with my mobile phone (where my streaming apps are). I've tried adding audio device but it won't read each other's BT. The A45s BT Receiver is grayed out. Any tips on how to go about this? Thanks again
Well, I've learnt something new today, thanks for asking this question.

Didn't know I could use the A45 as a BT receiver. Just bought the Fiio BTR3K, probably didn't need it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,937 of 1,999
Yep, it works.

1609426649593.png
@MrWalkman Please could I ask a potentially stupid question? The line out via WM-Port: is that digital out? Or has it been modified by the internal DAC? Is there any way to tell?
On some players you can specify a pure digital out for use with an external dac/amp - but surely there is no point in doing so if the signal has already been passed through the A55 dac?

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,938 of 1,999
@MrWalkman Please could I ask a potentially stupid question? The line out via WM-Port: is that digital out? Or has it been modified by the internal DAC? Is there any way to tell?
On some players you can specify a pure digital out for use with an external dac/amp - but surely there is no point in doing so if the signal has already been passed through the A55 dac?

It's not digital out, and it goes through the S-Master.

That becomes clear if you think that the line-out cables available are just connecting some pins on the WM-Port to a normal 3.5mm line-in connector of a PC, for example, or of some amplifier.

You can get digital out, that has no DSP applied, by using this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

The adapter has active circuitry inside, contrary to line-out cables which has no additional circuitry, except a resistor maybe, to trigger the line-out mode on the player.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,939 of 1,999
It's not digital out, and it goes through the S-Master.

That becomes clear if you think that the line-out cables available are just connecting some pins on the WM-Port to a normal 3.5mm line-in connector of a PC, for example, or of some amplifier.

You can get digital out, that has no DSP applied, by using this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

The adapter has active circuitry inside, contrary to line-out cables which has no additional circuitry, except a resistor maybe, to trigger the line-out mode on the player.
Thank you 👍 That's really helpful. Didn't realise you'd need circuitry in an extra cable to 'activate' digital out. I wonder why they don't simply add it as a menu option to allow their devices to be used as sources? Thanks again.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,940 of 1,999
Thank you 👍 That's really helpful. Didn't realise you'd need circuitry in an extra cable to 'activate' digital out. I wonder why they don't simply add it as a menu option to allow their devices to be used as sources? Thanks again.

The only connection they have to the outside is the 3.5 port (which is a simple 3.5 port), and the WM-port with 22 pins.

As the 3.5 port doesn't have optical out or anything like that, they had to have this adapter. I guess this is how these players are working.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,941 of 1,999
I don't know if this has been covered before, but I am about to buy a NW-A55 (at the reduced price of $168, it seems like a no-brainer), if MrWalkman's mod is installed, can it coexist with future Sony NW-A55 firmware or would the mod have to be uninstalled?

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,942 of 1,999
I don't know if this has been covered before, but I am about to buy a NW-A55 (at the reduced price of $168, it seems like a no-brainer), if MrWalkman's mod is installed, can it coexist with future Sony NW-A55 firmware or would the mod have to be uninstalled?
There is unlikely to be any future firmware releases from Sony. However, to answer your question, the mod and the stock firmware are mutually exclusive. You can always restore to the stock firmware by using the tool included with the mod installer.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #1,943 of 1,999
There is unlikely to be any future firmware releases from Sony. However, to answer your question, the mod and the stock firmware are mutually exclusive. You can always restore to the stock firmware by using the tool included with the mod installer.
Thanks! However, you answer leads to another question. Would any important feature/correction be lost with the mod installed, or will the improvements of the stock firmware still be in force? I obviously have little experience with mods......I'm sure you can tell!

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #1,944 of 1,999
Thanks! However, you answer leads to another question. Would any important feature/correction be lost with the mod installed, or will the improvements of the stock firmware still be in force? I obviously have little experience with mods......I'm sure you can tell!
No, the mod is built on top of the latest stock firmware, so there are only gains to be had.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,946 of 1,999

MrWalkman

first of all thank you very much for all your brilliant dedicated work for our benefit.
I have question if you could answer please.
Firstly I downloaded the DMP -40 firmware to get the DMP-Z1 sound signature and then I tried the FEv2 and the project Z. My question is that the Project Z is based on the WMZ1 and the DMPZ1 and therefore should sound different to the FEv2 and the older DMP-40 firmware, but why do the DMP-40 and FEv2 firmware's sound different ,if they are both based on the DMP-Z1 sound signature? Certainly when using the Clear Audio .
Many thanks Fiery Jack
p.s keep up the good work fella.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,947 of 1,999
Hi guys. I'm considering looking into a High Res Bluetooth Dap for on the go. My Fiio M6 has spotty Bluetooth signals at best. Would anyone recommend this or the A55? I'm hoping for at least 12 hours or more on LDAC. If it plays aptX, that's ok, too. But I'm looking into LDAC as my 1A/1Z are for home use only. Thanks in advance,

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #1,949 of 1,999
Completely random question, I copied over a DSD128 of my favourite Nirvana Vinyl to both my Yamaha Musiccast that plays DSD files and to the Sony NW-A45, now while the Sony plays the album without fail, it does sound quite tinny when compared to the musiccast which I am only using cheap 30w speakers. Could it be that I need to get better headphones for the Sony, or is it because the Sony outputs DSD in Linear PCM ?.

Many thanks

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,950 of 1,999
These days the A50 tends to be even cheaper than the A40, so I see no reason not to go for the newer model.
Makes sense. I'm pretty sure the battery is longer. It looks really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back