Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Dec 24, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,531 of 1,999
Seems there is a limit to how many files the A45 will handle. I have 2 identical 1TB microSD cards with about 45.000 files and 850MB on them, one in my 1Z and one in my A45. The 1Z handles them all but the A45 gives up at around 41.000 files. It shows the amount of space used correctly but will not show all the files, neither in any of the category views nor in folder view. I can get it to show the files that it initially does not show by deleting some of the files it did show but no matter what I do it will only show about 41.000 files at any one time
Sounds like a RAM limitation in the catalog database for names and metadata. I've never run into it, as my 1TB cards are almost full, yet don't have that many files on them. The space usage on mine is because of sheer file sizing due to resolution of the files and content. Everything is FLAC, 24/96, 24/192, or DSD.

The 1Z has more RAM which is probably why it can handle larger databases.

The reason that it shows space usage correctly is because it's reading the file system data for counts and space usage directly instead of calculating it from the database info.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,532 of 1,999
Sounds like a RAM limitation in the catalog database for names and metadata. I've never run into it, as my 1TB cards are almost full, yet don't have that many files on them. The space usage on mine is because of sheer file sizing due to resolution of the files and content. Everything is FLAC, 24/96, 24/192, or DSD.

The 1Z has more RAM which is probably why it can handle larger databases.

The reason that it shows space usage correctly is because it's reading the file system data for counts and space usage directly instead of calculating it from the database info.

Sounds resonable. All mine is flac 16/44 plus audiobooks in mp3

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,534 of 1,999
hi all from Spain!
Please help!
someone has got with destination tool, to put J region and get English language?
When I choose J region the Walkman does not allow SELECTING different languages and only shows Japanese language!

Maybe a firmware 1.10 affair?
you can go back to previous firmware?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,536 of 1,999
Yes J but with multi language is only supported on NWZ players, not the NW players

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,539 of 1,999
Well...today I changed to J from U in which I had selected English. After the change to J region English remained. So it is possible.

Yes you keep the language you had but the menu option to change language is no longer available with region J. Likewise if you transfer atrac files while in J you can still play them if you change to another region but you can no longer transfer atrac files (well you can but they will not show up on the player)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,540 of 1,999
FW @ 1.10.
U = USA.

I wouldn't have any need to change from English to another language.:)

(This is in response to jokerjim2222. Earlier comments in this thread seemed to suggest that getting English wasn't possible from the J region setting - which is possible, just not by changing within J from Japanese to English. Once English has been selected in other regions, at least for certain in the U region, that will carry over when changing to the J region. It's hard to imagine why someone would want to change between languages from their normally used one.)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,541 of 1,999
FW @ 1.10.
U = USA.
I wouldn't have any need to change from English to another language.:)

Neither would I but the original question was about being able to change language in J region

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,544 of 1,999
Thanks all & other question, experts... :)

I have a sony dock BCR NWU-7
There is another newer dock from Sony fully compatible with NW-A45/A46/A47?
The BCR NWU-7 adapters dont fit ...
And I get much more volume with audio output from dock, than from earphones jack when connected to an external ampli (hope you understand me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back