Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #181 of 207
Just tried the tape mod. WOW. I didn't mind the lower end before. But, now their is an increased cohesiveness and tightness overall. Maybe a dot more fatiguing now?? I don't see how they could be described as boomy after this mod. Good stuff.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #182 of 207
160 hours of burn in and I dont think it changed. at least not as much as the 1st 8 hours. Note: I have used "woofer cooker" as my burn in track. The treble has smoothened out a bit and the bass mellowed down. But the most dramatic change in the bass region was attributed to blocking the port. The bass no longer dominated the sound signature and mids are presented very well now. Overall sound signature is not as warm as out of the box, but still warm. Against my GR07 and my BA200, I think the MH1C can stand proud with its lush vocals, deep bass and overall clarity. Technically, the 07s and the Ba200 will run circles around the MH1C, but when it comes to the "fun factor", these little gems can shine.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #184 of 207
I bought them last week. I used them for a couple of days and then gave them away to a friend. For $30, I couldn't really complain about the sound. However the bass is way too overpowering for my tastes. For comparison, my regular iems are the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass. Granted I didn't have the Sony's long enough to do extensive burn in, they did not sound nearly as good as the Phonak.

Everything sounds so much more refined and controlled. I ordered some black filters for the Phonaks and they came in around the same time as the Sony's. With the black filters, the Sony's are not even in the same league. Then again they're not in same price range so that may not be a fair comparison. I thought about keeping the Sony's as a backup but the cables are one of the worst I've seen on any headphones. And the original tips were uncomfortable for me to use for extended periods of time. I tried the hybrid tips. They worked better but the sound was a little bit worse.

I could see myself giving these away as gifts to friends who are using the stock earbuds that came with their phone/tablet/whatever. I can't imagine spending more than $50 based on the overall package but they're not bad at all for what they are.

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #186 of 207
The more I've listen to these they're priced just right with its original price of $80.  They might sound as good as a few $100 to $150 but things like the R-50 and BA200 sound quite a bit better and I thought the MH1C sounded better than the EPH-100 I don't think they do know as the hype virus I had has worn off now.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #187 of 207
Got these today, they are damn good. To my ears, they sound better than the GR07 and put up a good fight against the EPH-100 (but ultimately lose in clarity and instrument separation). Shame about the cord, I don't think I'll be wearing these outside - the mic/controller looks ridiculous hanging next to my left cheek and sticking out.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #188 of 207
Got these today, they are damn good. To my ears, they sound better than the GR07

LOL, I got wowed myself at first listen. I think it has a decent amount of WOW factor. Head pounding bass and great treble extension, with warm mids. very BOSE-like and it has a very strong appeal to casual listeners like myself :) I am glad you are enjoying them. Have you tried the tape mod?

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #189 of 207
Quote:
LOL, I got wowed myself at first listen. I think it has a decent amount of WOW factor. Head pounding bass and great treble extension, with warm mids. very BOSE-like and it has a very strong appeal to casual listeners like myself
smily_headphones1.gif
I am glad you are enjoying them. Have you tried the tape mod?

I haven't, but just might when I get more free time over the holidays. Thanks for the tip!

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #190 of 207
A little bit off-topic, I met this guy on a train in Singapore today who was looking for a iem after his consonance died out. I gave him a try on the gr06 and MH1C and he said the MH1C sounded really good. Hope i will keep him in touch tho. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #192 of 207
Am I crazy if I say, I like them better than the X10i? They both have consumer friendly sound signatures but I think the mids on the MH1Cs are more relaxing to listen to. i am not saying one is better than the other in terms or performance...I just like the sony better :)

Edit January 19, 2013

I am listening to the X10 now and....I was right, I was temporarily insane when I made that comment :) Now, I know better :)

Taking back my statement :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back