Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #121 of 207
This thread intrigues me. The people who seem to not like them seem really really hell bent on convincing people that they suck for lack of a better word.

Again I passed mine onto a friend and even I still think these headphones are better than any other budget HP in that price range.

The bass is huge out of the box and was too much for me. I did the tape mod over the vent and they sounded no more bassy than the TF10's I have with both on flat EQ. Actually maybe a hair more. That mod made them quite nice IMO. To me comfort and fit and usablility fit into value so I can see variance in people's opinion on that point alone. But they are indeed a cut above your average budget IEM. There are so many 30 dollar IEMs that sound worse than bad and frankly it is the majority. These are one of the few standouts.

I have been watching the votes too. If the latest posts are bad mouthing them, the bad rating goes up. When people are praising them, the upper voting categories go up. I'ts like the people reading the thread just want to see the poll results and make a guess based on the latest posts.....

So if the guys determined to convince the world these are awful just keep it up, perhaps it will eventually get to 50/50 and you will have won in your cause.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #122 of 207
Quote:
This thread intrigues me. The people who seem to not like them seem really really hell bent on convincing people that they suck for lack of a better word.

Again I passed mine onto a friend and even I still think these headphones are better than any other budget HP in that price range.

The bass is huge out of the box and was too much for me. I did the tape mod over the vent and they sounded no more bassy than the TF10's I have with both on flat EQ. Actually maybe a hair more. That mod made them quite nice IMO. To me comfort and fit and usablility fit into value so I can see variance in people's opinion on that point alone. But they are indeed a cut above your average budget IEM. There are so many 30 dollar IEMs that sound worse than bad and frankly it is the majority. These are one of the few standouts.

I have been watching the votes too. If the latest posts are bad mouthing them, the bad rating goes up. When people are praising them, the upper voting categories go up. I'ts like the people reading the thread just want to see the poll results and make a guess based on the latest posts.....

So if the guys determined to convince the world these are awful just keep it up, perhaps it will eventually get to 50/50 and you will have won in your cause.

I don't think that's particularly fair. We are entitled to our opinion. And frankly, I was starting to think I was nuts. I heard a relatively dark, muddy mess with no top end, and people were comparing them to $200 earphones. I would love to have found that I was doing something wrong, and with some small change, gotten to that opinion. I was very confused, and I don't think that trying to understand that is necessarily as problematic as you seem to feel. And regarding the poll, do you think perhaps as people find it with positive opinions, it might go up, and down as those with negative opinions find it? That perhaps, the trend you notice is in fact the other way around?

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #123 of 207
It should also be noted that the poll is incorrect, the true MSRP of these IEMs, as sold as a separate product is ~$80, we are buying the OEM version substantially discounted. So, the second option should read ~$150

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #124 of 207
I don't think that's particularly fair. We are entitled to our opinion. And frankly, I was starting to think I was nuts. I heard a relatively dark, muddy mess with no top end, and people were comparing them to $200 earphones. I would love to have found that I was doing something wrong, and with some small change, gotten to that opinion. I was very confused, and I don't think that trying to understand that is necessarily as problematic as you seem to feel. And regarding the poll, do you think perhaps as people find it with positive opinions, it might go up, and down as those with negative opinions find it? That perhaps, the trend you notice is in fact the other way around?

Well to be a completely "fair" poll. It should have a "I don't know. I don't own them but want to see the poll results." vote for those who have to pick just to see what people are saying.

And what do you mean by "no top end". Meaning poor detail/clarity in the highs? If that is the case your most certainly got a dud. The copy I got were more detailed than the TF10 (with comply tips on at the time which does make TF10 highs more laid back).

It should also be noted that the poll is incorrect, the true MSRP of these IEMs, as sold as a separate product is ~$80, we are buying the OEM version substantially discounted. So, the second option should read ~$150

No. A good example is the uptown. It is not worth 150 bucks. But for 60 it is a great headphone and that is what it has sold for for the last month straight. If Beats Executive were available for 60 dollars I would also recommend those. The going price of an item is very relevant. And it is going around 30 from multiple sources.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #125 of 207
Quote:
Quote:

Well to be a completely "fair" poll. It should have a "I don't know. I don't own them but want to see the poll results." vote for those who have to pick just to see what people are saying.

And what do you mean by "no top end". Meaning poor detail/clarity in the highs? If that is the case your most certainly got a dud. The copy I got were more detailed than the TF10 (with comply tips on at the time which does make TF10 highs more laid back).
Quote:

No. A good example is the uptown. It is not worth 150 bucks. But for 60 it is a great headphone and that is what it has sold for for the last month straight. If Beats Executive were available for 60 dollars I would also recommend those. The going price of an item is very relevant. And it is going around 30 from multiple sources.

It's $30 for just the IEM in a baggie. To purchase the real IEM in the retail packaging, it's about $60-80.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MH1WO-LiveSound-Headset-Smartphones/dp/B006SOKXVI/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1354221316&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+mh1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-MH1-WO-LiveSound-Headset/dp/B005GDVB6S/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1354221316&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+mh1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Headset-SmartKey-Control-Incredible/dp/B008VW1R0G/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1354221316&sr=1-8&keywords=sony+mh1

They had detail, but the top end was not well extended, it rolled off really low, which seems to be a pretty common report.

For $50 (the retail packaging), you can do far better. My GR04 Flagship (currently ~$50) is far more detailed, doesn't have the bass bloat, and has much better treble extension.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #126 of 207
It gets confusing to me when we get into "this is better than that". It seems that there comes a point where different phones have a flavor that not everyone has to enjoy. But, they may be the bee's knees for someone else. I think there is a line that you cross when quality comes into play. But, there also seems to be a line where different presentations of the music may come into play. Maybe these guys just appeal to folks who like a warmer laid back signature. I don't necessarily think that makes them better or worse than this or that irregardless of price. It just kinda cracks me up when it gets into this is better than that. On a personal level, I prefer these to an IEM that I have that is not cheap by any standards. Is the other IEM a great one....... Yes. But, it's flavor just isn't appealing to me at this point in my ear life. :) I would be hard pressed to say which one is better though. They are both great. Just in their own right. It would be cool also to remove the whole conceptual notion of prices with these things and just judge them for what they do. I sometimes wonder if there is a human part of us that judges these guys partly on a subjective price that has been put on them. Oh well.. time to listen to some good stuff on my cheapo 25 dollar IEM's that sound great to these untrained ears. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #129 of 207
Quote:
It gets confusing to me when we get into "this is better than that". It seems that there comes a point where different phones have a flavor that not everyone has to enjoy. But, they may be the bee's knees for someone else. I think there is a line that you cross when quality comes into play. But, there also seems to be a line where different presentations of the music may come into play. Maybe these guys just appeal to folks who like a warmer laid back signature. I don't necessarily think that makes them better or worse than this or that irregardless of price. It just kinda cracks me up when it gets into this is better than that. On a personal level, I prefer these to an IEM that I have that is not cheap by any standards. Is the other IEM a great one....... Yes. But, it's flavor just isn't appealing to me at this point in my ear life. :) I would be hard pressed to say which one is better though. They are both great. Just in their own right. It would be cool also to remove the whole conceptual notion of prices with these things and just judge them for what they do. I sometimes wonder if there is a human part of us that judges these guys partly on a subjective price that has been put on them. Oh well.. time to listen to some good stuff on my cheapo 25 dollar IEM's that sound great to these untrained ears. :)

I don't disagree with you in the slightest, and perhaps I was being cranky before. I am normally the one riding through with the white flag saying that we're all entitled to our own opinions (etc, etc). I was simply frustrated that it seemed that my criticisms were not welcomed. I agree that for $20, these certainly ain't bad, and their signature is surely very much a popular one - which many will enjoy. I do however find their bass bloat to be fairly problematic. It's funny, it can actually be kind of enjoyable, and when I switch back to something else, I miss the bass for a few seconds, until I realize how much more detail there appears to be. Those freq response graphs appear to be hand done, are there real ones for these?

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #130 of 207
Now that I'm at home I'm doing a quick comparison between these and my other IEMs (the source is an unamped Cowon J3). The MH1 makes my RE-272 and RE-0 sound slightly dark in comparison, and has less mid-bass than the Radius DDM and the Brookstone Clear DD. Also, there's plenty of detail coming out of these babies (bear in mind that I own the R-50 and RE-272, which are fairly detailed IEMs). As for positioning, I'm not exaggerating here, the MH1 are even more accurate than the RE-272 (sadly I can't compare them to the R-50, as I lent them to a friend).

So, when you guys say your pairs are warm to death and have loads of uncontrolled bass, you're describing a totally different IEM than the one I'm listening to here.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #131 of 207
Quote:
I don't disagree with you in the slightest, and perhaps I was being cranky before. I am normally the one riding through with the white flag saying that we're all entitled to our own opinions (etc, etc). I was simply frustrated that it seemed that my criticisms were not welcomed. I agree that for $20, these certainly ain't bad, and their signature is surely very much a popular one - which many will enjoy. I do however find their bass bloat to be fairly problematic. It's funny, it can actually be kind of enjoyable, and when I switch back to something else, I miss the bass for a few seconds, until I realize how much more detail there appears to be. Those freq response graphs appear to be hand done, are there real ones for these?

Sigh, people never seem to read OP's, in this case ClieOS' advice regarding burn-in on these IEMs in his review. When I 1st got my set they sounded literally like crappy bass cannons with veiled highs/ mids with boomy bass overtaking the rest of the sonic spectrum.  These were worse then my mee m9s upon open bag and i was like man all these people must be trippin' to say this cheapo has like ~80% of sony's xba-3s. But I know that the micro drivers akin to the carbon nanotube ones in JVC's IEMs tend to be crazy stiff and needs a good beating with burn-in. Long story short, it took me almost 4 days straight using high volume heavy bass tracks to balance the drivers out on my sets. And no there are no fakes of these, and many have reported burning these in has improved/ refined their sound upon their initial listening even though they were disappointed at 1st.

Just put these on max volume with bass heavy tracks for like couple of days continuously and see what happens. The bass is gonna tighten up, and with the highs/ mids are gonna start to shine, then you will know what all the praise is about. There is a lot of refinement in this lil' iem, even with the big bass. 

Quote:
Now that I'm at home I'm doing a quick comparison between these and my other IEMs (the source is an unamped Cowon J3). The MH1 makes my RE-272 and RE-0 sound slightly dark in comparison, and has less mid-bass than the Radius DDM and the Brookstone Clear DD. Also, there's plenty of detail coming out of these babies (bear in mind that I own the R-50 and RE-272, which are fairly detailed IEMs). As for positioning, I'm not exaggerating here, the MH1 are even more accurate than the RE-272 (sadly I can't compare them to the R-50, as I lent them to a friend).

So, when you guys say your pairs are warm to death and have loads of uncontrolled bass, you're describing a totally different IEM than the one I'm listening to here.

beerchug.gif
  People, if you are disappointed in these that much just toss them on the burner for a week and see what happens, it doesn't hurt a thing. You might get a big surprise, if they still suck hey i am more than happy to trade you my JVC FX40s and FX101s, both of which has great highs and lows along with a nice mid range. Just give me a PM, i'll be more than happy to take these off your hands.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #133 of 207
Quote:

+1. Mine sound pretty good throughout the FR.

Quote:
beerchug.gif
  People, if you are disappointed in these that much just toss them on the burner for a week and see what happens, it doesn't hurt a thing. You might get a big surprise, if they still suck hey i am more than happy to trade you my JVC FX40s and FX101s, both of which has great highs and lows along with a nice mid range. Just give me a PM, i'll be more than happy to take these off your hands.

From what I've been seeing, there must be "mh1c's that require a good dose of burn in to achieve their glory" and those that don't. I wish I knew what was up with that, but it sure seems to be a real phenomenon.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #134 of 207
Quote:
The pair I own has around 18db's of bass boost over neutral. I can burn them in until the next election and that's not going to change.

I loves my bass wanna trade then??? haha..... no joke 2 for 1 is a crazy good deal.
wink_face.gif
  Then I can back you up on your observation if yours are indeed bass monsters. LoL

edit: Yeppp WAYNE, lots of lucky people got theirs and they sounded great upon open bag/ while unlucky ones like me and Dsnuts, etc got boomy bass poo sounding ones. LoL Thank god I am finally hearing what others are praising about after burning these to hell. Don't be gentle on these folks, beat them down to submission.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #135 of 207
Is it because people simply aren't used to bass heavy headphones?  I don't understand the desire for the MH1C to be the perfect set for everyone though - we recommend different IEMs to different people depending on their budget, environment, source and genre of music but somehow having too much bass is sudden a 'good' or 'bad' thing in an IEM?  I've used X10, Monster Turbines and IE80 and I don't particularly feel that these have more bass in comparison, and all of those are regularly priced at 10x the premium.  Cold/neutral/analytical has never been what I wanted from my headphones, and no one reacted badly to suggesting that the RE0 for example needed a bit of a bass boost. 

Of course 18db seemed a little over the top (I don't feel any need to EQ mine), but that number alone does not necessarily mean anything without taking into account the music in question and the volume of play back since the avg equal loudness contour looks like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back