Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #136 of 207
Quote:
The pair I own has around 18db's of bass boost over neutral. I can burn them in until the next election and that's not going to change.

Wow, 18 dB! That's way too much.

Sadly, I don't have the instruments to objectively measure these, but as I commented in my previous post, my pair has less mid-bass than my Radius DDM and Brookstone CDD, which by no means have a 18 dB bass boost.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #137 of 207
Now that I'm at home I'm doing a quick comparison between these and my other IEMs (the source is an unamped Cowon J3). The MH1 makes my RE-272 and RE-0 sound slightly dark in comparison, and has less mid-bass than the Radius DDM and the Brookstone Clear DD. Also, there's plenty of detail coming out of these babies (bear in mind that I own the R-50 and RE-272, which are fairly detailed IEMs). As for positioning, I'm not exaggerating here, the MH1 are even more accurate than the RE-272 (sadly I can't compare them to the R-50, as I lent them to a friend).

So, when you guys say your pairs are warm to death and have loads of uncontrolled bass, you're describing a totally different IEM than the one I'm listening to here.

Just got mine today and I am hearing the same. Bright and detailed...but I agree with the bass. Boomy and a little over the top. In comparison, these make my GR07 sound muffled at the very top and my BA200 seems dark in comparison.

Just an everyday IEM for enjoying the occassional Woofer Cooker session. They sound so much better than my Hisound popo in terms of mid clarity and highs. But for bass quality and quantity, Popo is still better IMHO.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #138 of 207
Its a very good deal if your searching for something good under $30 or even $50, so why not recomend it?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #139 of 207
Well, so there's 2 possible conclusions: either the MH1's sound has A LOT of variance between different pairs (just like Brainwavz IEMs), or they are extremely burn-in dependent. I'm leaning towards the first one though, as mine sounded excellent right out of the bag.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #140 of 207
Quote:
Well, so there's 2 possible conclusions: either the MH1's sound has A LOT of variance between different pairs (just like Brainwavz IEMs), or they are extremely burn-in dependent. I'm leaning towards the first one though, as mine sounded excellent right out of the bag.

Its not exactly burn-in dependent, you cant notice a complete different signature, its just refines the signature to somewhat smooth, but still its a lot better than the original signature..

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #141 of 207
A few hours of burn in cured the boomy bass down to tolerable levels. I am starting to like these. They are very forgiving and I don't feel fatigued even with the most sibilant songs.

Now, if a little more burn in can tame the bass a just little bit more, and make them faster...(wishful thinking) I would say they won't be my FOTM, they can actually be a mainstay in my line-up. :)

My only gripe is the driver flex.... :frowning2: now, how do we cure that? Foamies?

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #142 of 207
Am I crazy if I say, I like them better than the X10i? They both have consumer friendly sound signatures but I think the mids on the MH1Cs are more relaxing to listen to. i am not saying one is better than the other in terms or performance...I just like the sony better :)

Edit January 19, 2013

I am listening to the X10 now and....I was right, I was temporarily insane when I made that comment :) Now, I know better :)

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #143 of 207
Quote:
A few hours of burn in cured the boomy bass down to tolerable levels. I am starting to like these very much. Also...they are very forgiving and I don't feel fatigued even with the most sibilant songs.

Now, if a little more burn in can tame the bass a just little bit more, I would say they won't be my FOTM, they can actually be a mainstay in my line-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

My only gripe is the driver flex....
frown.gif
now, how do we cure that? Foamies?

Mine have been burning in for about 30 hrs now, and the muddy boomy quality has disappeared. But, the bass is still heavily emphasized, to the point of being almost fatiguing, and there is still considerable treble roll-off. I mean, there is a real lack of treble energy. It's a shame, because they really do have some spectacular sounding mids.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #144 of 207
Yep, the bass improved and I also wish they level out a bit more. Good thing I only get fatigued by sibilance. But I am with you when you said the bass is heavy. i can imagine they can be fatiguing too.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #145 of 207
Quote:
A few hours of burn in cured the boomy bass down to tolerable levels. I am starting to like these. They are very forgiving and I don't feel fatigued even with the most sibilant songs.
Now, if a little more burn in can tame the bass a just little bit more, and make them faster...(wishful thinking) I would say they won't be my FOTM, they can actually be a mainstay in my line-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

My only gripe is the driver flex....
frown.gif
now, how do we cure that? Foamies?

The only way to make the bass appear quicker is to do the tape vent mod and to set your EQ to bass reducer on your ipod. The sound sig will be a lot cleaner and more balanced when you do that. I actually like this setting more for indoor quiet home listening, but when you are on the go, set the EQ back to flat and the bass becomes almost bass head levels. haha SO GUUD!!!

Quote:
Am I crazy if I say, I like them better than the X10i? They both have consumer friendly sound signatures but I think the mids on the MH1Cs are more relaxing to listen to. i am not saying one is better than the other in terms or performance...I just like the sony better
smily_headphones1.gif

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Mine have been burning in for about 30 hrs now, and the muddy boomy quality has disappeared. But, the bass is still heavily emphasized, to the point of being almost fatiguing, and there is still considerable treble roll-off. I mean, there is a real lack of treble energy. It's a shame, because they really do have some spectacular sounding mids.

Keep at it, I was growing hopeless after like 3-1/2 days of continuous burn-in on max volume as well. Then on day 4 these begin to finally shine, sigh. So much work to get the sound so many lucky people are getting on open bag, so jelly. I hate you'll!!!
triportsad.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #146 of 207
They're taking a break at the moment, letting something else burn in, but go back soon enough.

These things are so weird right now. The bass is ridiculously overwhelming - but only sometimes. You know how you can have peaky treble? I swear, these have peaky bass. Some bass sounds good and in line, then others (just above sub bass) damn near shakes the little things out of your ear.

I absolutely will give em a few more days of burn in, but at the moment, this is just plain weird.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #147 of 207
Quote:
Am I crazy if I say, I like them better than the X10i? They both have consumer friendly sound signatures but I think the mids on the MH1Cs are more relaxing to listen to. i am not saying one is better than the other in terms or performance...I just like the sony better
smily_headphones1.gif

i like them better than my X10 too...pure sound wise.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #148 of 207
Quote:

Wow, 18 dB! That's way too much.

Sadly, I don't have the instruments to objectively measure these, but as I commented in my previous post, my pair has less mid-bass than my Radius DDM and Brookstone CDD, which by no means have a 18 dB bass boost.

The DDMs are also very tip dependent but they don't have allot of bass bleed, they just have more prominent mids. The MH1 sound is V shaped, the DDM is flatter (which does result in more midbass & lower mids, but not a midbass hump). I don't use an equalizer when i listen to the DDMs, i can't listen to the MH1C without equalization. I reduce the 30Hz band by 10db, and continue subtracting (2-3 db less for each band) till i reach 250Hz (2db cut). I also use a similar setting that starts subtracting 6 instead of 10 db for recordings that lack bass presence. 6db is the minimum i have to cut from the lower region in order to avoid fatigue from the bass.

It's not just the bass quantity, it's also the quality, it's by far the least technically capable part of the FR for the MH1C and it shouldn't be so prominent. Why would the engineers want to serve you slow, bloated and distorted bass when they could be serving you those sweet mids and highs instead. Equalized, the MH1C easily sound like a ~100$ in ear pair, and showcases just how good their microdrivers truly are.

Rin reports on his review that the MH1 and MH1C have differences in tuning which result in a ~6db difference in the low frequencies. If that's the case, i have to say i am disappointed with the management's decision to go for a consumer oriented sound signature when said signature doesn't flatter the capabilities of their product. A friend of mine owns an Xperia Ray and has already ordered a MH1. So in two weeks i will be able to check for myself if that's really the case.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #149 of 207
Quote:

The DDMs are also very tip dependent but they don't have allot of bass bleed, they just have more prominent mids. The MH1 sound is V shaped, the DDM is flatter (which does result in more midbass & lower mids, but not a midbass hump). I don't use an equalizer when i listen to the DDMs, i can't listen to the MH1C without equalization. I reduce the 30Hz band by 10db, and continue subtracting (2-3 db less for each band) till i reach 250Hz (2db cut). I also use a similar setting that starts subtracting 6 instead of 10 db for recordings that lack bass presence. 6db is the minimum i have to cut from the lower region in order to avoid fatigue from the bass.

It's not just the bass quantity, it's also the quality, it's by far the least technically capable part of the FR for the MH1C and it shouldn't be so prominent. Why would the engineers want to serve you slow, bloated and distorted bass when they could be serving you those sweet mids and highs instead. Equalized, the MH1C easily sound like a ~100$ in ear pair, and showcases just how good their microdrivers truly are.

Rin reports on his review that the MH1 and MH1C have differences in tuning which result in a ~6db difference in the low frequencies. If that's the case, i have to say i am disappointed with the management's decision to go for a consumer oriented sound signature when said signature doesn't flatter the capabilities of their product. A friend of mine owns an Xperia Ray and has already ordered a MH1. So in two weeks i will be able to check for myself if that's really the case.

But what I meant is that my pair of MH1 has even less mid-bass punch than my DDMs
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #150 of 207
Quote:
But what I meant is that my pair of MH1 has even less mid-bass punch than my DDMs
tongue_smile.gif

Lol, yes mate, i know :). I just wanted to point out that the main problem lies in the 0-120Hz region. Mid bass range is 100-300Hz which isn't that boosted compared to the lower frequencies. And while 18db does seem to be a little excessive to me, the MH1Cs do seem to have  a little over 10db bass over natural (mainly in the subbass area). Source does play a role though, underpowered daps do tend to roll off the bass, making the problem less pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back