Sony MDR-V6 lack bass?
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #31 of 38
I believe I can shed some light on this subject.
Your both right. The Sony MDR V6 have awesome slamming bass and a distinct lack thereof. Or more precise, they all slam, some are just overshadowed.
What does that mean? Well. Let me explain. You all have different sets. Simple as that. 
My roommate and I both have a set of Sony MDR V6 headphones. Both are over a year old. Both sounds as different as day and night. His have very loud clean bass, well adjusted mids and highs and sound phenomenal. Mine on the other hand have good bass, but overwhelming tenner (high mid-range) to the point it would give he headaches listening to them for very long. 
So in essence, you all may be correct, some with more well rounded sets, and some with sets like mine. I don't know what the difference is whether it be a fluke, place of manufacture, lack or type of breaking in, or just an obvious lack in quality control for this line of monitor. All I do know is whatever the case may be, it seems to effect them as a set (Both sides sound the same) be it nice and rounded or the tin can version. If you wound up with the tin can set, send them back. These have a 1 year part warranty, and I can vouch that these can sound awesome. Unfortunately not all of them do. Or you can do like I did and get a set of Sennheisers :p

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #32 of 38
I would give a plus one to this theory. I have seen lot's of inconsistent manufacturing with Sony products of all kinds over the years.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #34 of 38
Bumpity bump thread bump :wink: I just came into a pair of these MDR v600's from an old codger that was trying to off items from his sailboat that he didn't need/want any longer. They were left on the boat for quite some time, and the exterior foam coating totally melted all over the monitors and cord. So they were basically cooked with the gummy residue from the fascia synthetic hanging onto all the surfaces. I peeled 'em off and hit the cushions with a bottle of isopropyl, scrubbed off the black gunk that was still hanging on to the fabric, and scrubbed the vast majority of the crap off of the setup, the only "mod" I made (unintentionally) was removing a little bit o' the white strip that's glued around the magnet border rim of one of the phone assemblies, never submerged/doused the magnets, there was a little of the degraded foam that I had to blow out of the interior of the magnets that found it's way beneath the expanded metal housing, but that's it. 

The sound quality is quite tin, super treble, basically just mids and highs. It's a crisp sound, but the bass is gone, as in, no vibratto for the bass really, wicked minimal. The headphone assembly is in great shape aside from the bass loss, the cable is totally square, the terminals are all good, there is no change with agitation, they aren't kinked, they aren't loose, any recommendations? Is this a speaker replacement deal? Ear cushion making the biggest difference in the world? I've tried numerous sources with jacks in perfect working order, it's not the source. 

I'm all like 
confused.gif

cheers! any ideas would be appreciated :wink: 

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:
I am very disappointed with the bass on my new MDR-V6. I can hardly hear the bassline on any song I listen to. One reference point: Daft Punk - "Around the World." The bassline is the foundation of the song, but it just sounds weak on these headphones.

Has anybody else experienced the same thing? Will the bass get better after burning in? Is it that the trebles and mids are too loud in comparison?

My Sharp MD-33 and Sennheiser PX-100 easily outclass the MDR-V6 in terms of bass. Right now, I prefer both to the Sony headphones, and both were substantially cheaper, too.

I knew I should have gotten K81 DJs!
frown.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif

See this bass knob on the left? 
Why don't you give it a little gas?

EDIT: Just realized thread is from past century. :)

May 3, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #37 of 38
I have the k81 DJ's and the bass is much better on the MDR V6's it goes lower and has a lot more slam to it! The K81 (or the K518DJs in my case) is a lot more bloated and doesn't go as deep. Sorry to revive a dead thread just thought my 2c might help somebody somehow

May 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #38 of 38
Since I have only become a member of Head-Fi as of yesterday, I am in that sense a newbie for this site. However, I have been accessing Head-Fi for quite some time now, and really value the views of its members, and check out your opinions before purchasing any new headphone.
Had viewed the reviews here on Sony MDR-V6 as well as on Amazon US and UK, and had actually purchased this Sony headphones about one year ago from Amazon. Amongst the various other headphones, the Sony is one I really like listening to. The build quality is fantastic (apart perhaps from the earpads, which in any case are easily replaceable and do not cost much), and the sound quality is very good. I do not think they are bass light at all, and appreciate that the sound is relatively flat throughout. It might be very slightly high on the treble, but this gives it an enjoyable and lively clear sound. Considering its price, I think it is a real steal! Music never sounds dull through it. However, the quality of the recording greatly effects what you hear. A bad recording will sound bad, but a good recording will sound fantastic through these Sonys.
The main point is that, in my humble and honest opinion, I do not find that these Sonys are bass shy at all - on the contrary the bass goes deep down, is fantastically precise and not bloated, so the beat and rythm of any song is just right. I suspect that there might also be a problem in the fact that there are various fake models of this particular model Sony, and consequently some reviews might (unknowingly) be referring to the fake V6s, and not the real ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back