Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #182 of 517
CD900ST is NOT V6/7506. 

It is the Japanese studio variant of the CD900. It is more mid centric and neutral compared to the V6. Considering the CD900ST is normally a much more expensive headphone, I would say, at $80, go for it. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #184 of 517
Quote:
Can we consider this as part of the V6 family
biggrin.gif

1. removable cable
2. it's said to have a touch up in bass, refined mids to reduce ear fatigue, and treble roll off at 14k
3. EQ Curve For Pro Field and Studio Use (as defined by Rec. ITU-R BS.708)

video by BHphoto
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/hands-reviews/hands-review-senal-smh-1000-studio-headphones

I am really intrigued from those!

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #186 of 517
I am thinking of buying a pair of v6's but i'm not sure if it would be a big step back in sound quality coming from mid tier iem's like ck100, ue900 etc. I have tried the m50's and hd25's before how does these compare?

Music wise I listen to mostly jpop/jrock how does it sound with these genres?

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #187 of 517
Quote:
I am thinking of buying a pair of v6's but i'm not sure if it would be a big step back in sound quality coming from mid tier iem's like ck100, ue900 etc. I have tried the m50's and hd25's before how does these compare?

Music wise I listen to mostly jpop/jrock how does it sound with these genres?

Hmm. CK100 and UE900 are more of a mid-high tier than mid tier to me. Anyways, compared to them, V6 doesn't really stand. V6 has slightly better clarity, but it comes with less detail and smoothness. They lack bass when compared to M50 and HD25(Though modding a V6 improves the bass drastically. Better than both M50 and HD25).

They lack bit of lower mids, so unless you EQ them, they will sound hallow. But with modding and EQ, they sound magically good for it's price. If you need the link to modding, I can give it to you.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #189 of 517
BTW, did you guys know that the cups are actually metal? I thought it was plastic until I drilled a hold in the cup. No wonder it's bomb proof.

it's plastic through and through... but the outside cup where all the writing and sticker is feel like metal. Sony design team got it so right with the v6/7506 series... their design is nearing 30 years and is still going unchanged. I just think they need to update drivers, but that opportunity is lost now that Senal SMH-1000 is out now.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #192 of 517
Whoa. I was hoping that it would make it to 30 years (2015). Being discontinued explains the price increase though. 

Oh well. The 7506 still exists. 

it's plastic through and through... but the outside cup where all the writing and sticker is feel like metal.Sony design team got it so right with the v6/7506 series... their design is nearing 30 years and is still going unchanged. I just think they need to update drivers, but that opportunity is lost now that Senal SMH-1000 is out now.

I don't even think they need new drivers. Removable cable, better pads, and hiding the wire between L/R and it'd be perfect. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #193 of 517
Quote:

it's plastic through and through... but the outside cup where all the writing and sticker is feel like metal.Sony design team got it so right with the v6/7506 series... their design is nearing 30 years and is still going unchanged. I just think they need to update drivers, but that opportunity is lost now that Senal SMH-1000 is out now.

Really? It's metal! I drilled a hole in the cups. Outer cup is covered in plastic, but there's metal inside.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #195 of 517
Quote:
TheBoss, how does the Senal compare to the V6/7506 in terms of sonic characteristics and build quality?

I don't have a Senal right now.  I just discovered those headphone while looking around for gear on New York-based BHphoto.com.  Right now they are currently prized the same as 7506s.

I hope someone here with a bit more disposable income can buy and do comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back