Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #166 of 517
hi , i recently got a pair of 7506s from a charity shop really cheaply, they were very worn, the pads have had it so I have ordered new ones from sony. the silver  studio monitor lettering on the headband is only just visible and there is no silver left. the cups are a bit loose and don't seem to grip together. they look legitimate, they say made in thailand and look to be of sturdy construction otherwise. I tried them with the old pads and all I could hear was highs and a little mid but no bass. hoping these are not fakes.

Sam

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #167 of 517
The lack of mids and highs probably means a bad cord. The previous owner must have really badly abused them. I wouldn't do this due to new ones being fairly cheap, but You could try rewiring them which is fairly easy. If that doesn't work, you can replace the drivers- At that point is starts getting somewhat expensive, so you are probably better off buying a new pair. Every website I have seen currently has a huge price spike...I saw them on Amazon for $90 (!!!). I bought them in November of last year for $67 on amazon. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #168 of 517
The lack of mids and highs probably means a bad cord. The previous owner must have really badly abused them. I wouldn't do this due to new ones being fairly cheap, but You could try rewiring them which is fairly easy. If that doesn't work, you can replace the drivers- At that point is starts getting somewhat expensive, so you are probably better off buying a new pair. Every website I have seen currently has a huge price spike...I saw them on Amazon for $90 (!!!). I bought them in November of last year for $67 on amazon. 

agreed, i was happy to see them at quite the price im suprised myself to see the Sony MDR-V6's upmarked to over 80$ this time around (8/27/13) on Amazon.
last time i had mine at around 79$ free shipping.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #169 of 517
The V6 is actually more expensive than the 7506 now... What happened... All I can think of is the CNet review, and I don't think a single review, even from a bigger site is going to make the price leap that much, and they also did the 7506. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #171 of 517
Can we consider this as part of the V6 family
biggrin.gif

1. removable cable
2. it's said to have a touch up in bass, refined mids to reduce ear fatigue, and treble roll off at 14k
3. EQ Curve For Pro Field and Studio Use (as defined by Rec. ITU-R BS.708)

video by BHphoto
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/hands-reviews/hands-review-senal-smh-1000-studio-headphones

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #172 of 517
Quote:
Can we consider this as part of the V6 family
biggrin.gif

1. removable cable
2. it's said to have a touch up in bass, refined mids to reduce ear fatigue, and treble roll off at 14k
3. EQ Curve For Pro Field and Studio Use (as defined by Rec. ITU-R BS.708)

video by BHphoto
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/hands-reviews/hands-review-senal-smh-1000-studio-headphones

Is this another remake?

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #173 of 517
Quote:
Is this another remake?

I think this is the only remake that looks like the Sony classics but with some modifications

It's from a New York-based group called Gradus Group LLC

http://www.gradusgroup.com/brand-senal.html
http://player.vimeo.com/video/54862975?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=550&width=890

I like how they prominently display freq. response on the back... and since this is marketed as a studio/pro monitors I guess Senal is closely adhering to the Rec. ITU-R BS.708 standard tolerances so it could be considered a real studio monitor.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #174 of 517
Quote:

I think this is the only remake that looks like the Sony classics but with some modifications

It's from a New York-based group called Gradus Group LLC

http://www.gradusgroup.com/brand-senal.html

I like how they prominently display freq. response on the back... (maybe) following the Rec. ITU-R BS.708 standard.

That seems very interesting. I'm waiting for someone to do a review on these.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #175 of 517
Wow. These are pretty nice V6/7506 clones. 

The same company seems to do the Auray V6 velour replacement pads. 

Has anyone heard these? They can't be that bad considering they are pretty much the same price as the real thing (so I assume they are trying to compete on quality). 

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #176 of 517
Quote:
Wow. These are pretty nice V6/7506 clones. 

The same company seems to do the Auray V6 velour replacement pads. 

Has anyone heard these? They can't be that bad considering they are pretty much the same price as the real thing (so I assume they are trying to compete on quality). 

I was gonna create a separate thread just for SMH-1000s... but what the heck... the V6 Family will adopt this and will be considered part of the family now!
biggrin.gif

These headphone is pretty recent.... it came out in late 2012.

I'm sure there's a lot of New Yorkers who work in audio that have these now.

I imagine SMH-1000 would sound like as if you EQ-ed a 7506... by giving it a very minor bump in the bass and smoothing the rest to reduce hearing fatigue.

note:  I don't like EQ-ing headphones

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #177 of 517
I was gonna create a separate thread just for SMH-1000s... but what the heck... the V6 Family will adopt this and will be considered part of the family now!:D

These headphone is pretty recent.... it came out in late 2012.

I'm sure there's a lot of New Yorkers who work in audio that have these now.

I imagine SMH-1000 would sound like as if you EQ-ed a 7506... by giving it a very minor bump in the bass and smoothing the rest to reduce hearing fatigue.
That sounds like a well applied eq!

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #178 of 517
It belongs in the V6 family thread lol. I'm trying to find physical differences between these and my V6's... Only thing I can see is the detachable cable and the placement of the L/R indicators. They might as well be V6's with a different driver. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #179 of 517
Reading this thread it seems that there is no (?) difference between the MDR-V6 or the MDR-V7506. Here in China the 7506 sell for 300Yuan more than the V6.

Are these identical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back