Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #151 of 517
Got these today, they sound pretty good and look really cool IMO. Smaller than I thought, but that's not a bad thing.
Here is the problem: it's this bone conducting noise it makes when I'm out walking. Sounds like *THUD* for every step that I take. I've never experienced that with a closed full-size before. It's like I'm listening to an IEM (I hate walking around with those - they're for buses and bike rides).

Would it help if I replaced the pads to some DT250 ones? Or is there anything else I can do?

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #152 of 517
Quote:
Got these today, they sound pretty good and look really cool IMO. Smaller than I thought, but that's not a bad thing.
Here is the problem: it's this bone conducting noise it makes when I'm out walking. Sounds like *THUD* for every step that I take. I've never experienced that with a closed full-size before. It's like I'm listening to an IEM (I hate walking around with those - they're for buses and bike rides).

Would it help if I replaced the pads to some DT250 ones? Or is there anything else I can do?

It's likely the heavy and bulky cable that's causing that. Maybe recable it?

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #156 of 517
Quote:
Anyone know if the dt250 pads are bigger than the stock pads? will my ear rest directly on the driver?

Yes, they're very slightly bigger.  For some ears, they turn the V6's from a partial over-ear/on-ear to a fully over-ear.  The bass response will increase as a result.  That may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preference.

The Pearstone/Auray velour pads are almost exactly the same size as the default V6 pleather cushions.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #157 of 517
Just throwing in my opinion... I only have one good thing to say about these headphones. Vocals. Best vocals I've heard in my life... on par with LCD-2 etc... Like, the vocals would pierce your heart and make your shiver and cry a little cause it felt so damn real. That's the only part I miss about them... they sound "dead" in any other way to me.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #158 of 517
Quote:
Just throwing in my opinion... I only have one good thing to say about these headphones. Vocals. Best vocals I've heard in my life... on par with LCD-2 etc... Like, the vocals would pierce your heart and make your shiver and cry a little cause it felt so damn real. That's the only part I miss about them... they sound "dead" in any other way to me.

Vocals? To me(before modding), they sounded hallow, especially in the lower mids. They sounded rather artificial for me.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #159 of 517
I was initially leaning towards getting the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones, but the numerous complaints about the build quality have turned me off from them, so after a bit research I'm considering the Sony MDR-V6. Only thing is I've noticed some people saying they're too flat for casual music listening, I'm wondering if anyone around here thinks so as well. I haven't had enough experience with quality headphones to know which sound signatures I like.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #160 of 517
I don't get why people say it's flat or neutral. It's a V-shaped headphone with a fun sound signature. Bright highs and punchy lows. I would describe them as pretty similar to the CAL! but with more energy in the upper mids and treble. The brightness brings out a bit more detail, maybe artificially so, but it sounds nothing but pleasing IMO. Also it's better built and isolates more.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #161 of 517
Because it is pretty neutral for a $60 headphone. There really isn't a better choice for neutral sound signature at that price point. 

That said, it is still a fun, bright, V shaped headphone. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #163 of 517
They really aren't that hollowed compared to more mid recessed headphones. You might just like more mid centric headphones. That said, the CD900ST, which was tuned by Sony Music has a lot more mids than the V6/7506. 

As for why people use them. They are popular because they do the job, are cheap, and are popular. Do people really need expensive headphones for tracking? All you need is a somewhat realistic representation of the music, not much leakage, and good durability. The V6/7506 meets the requirements, have a ton of mindshare because people have been relying on them for the past three decades, and are the cheapest of major studio cans (e.g. HD280 Pro is like $100 to the V6's $60). 

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #164 of 517
Quote:
They really aren't that hollowed compared to more mid recessed headphones. You might just like more mid centric headphones. That said, the CD900ST, which was tuned by Sony Music has a lot more mids than the V6/7506. 

As for why people use them. They are popular because they do the job, are cheap, and are popular. Do people really need expensive headphones for tracking? All you need is a somewhat realistic representation of the music, not much leakage, and good durability. The V6/7506 meets the requirements, have a ton of mindshare because people have been relying on them for the past three decades, and are the cheapest of major studio cans (e.g. HD280 Pro is like $100 to the V6's $60). 

I do like more mid centric headphones, or even neutral headphones. Anyways, the V6 are indeed very durable and cheap. But why would singers with custom iems use V6 for monitoring in studios?

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #165 of 517
Quote:

Very good summation - agree completely!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back