Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #139 of 517
Jun 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #144 of 517
I noticed a tear on material on the baffles today when I took the earpad off, strange how it happened as I baby all of my babies, do you think this will affect sound even in the slightest? My gut feeling is no. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #145 of 517
Quote:
I noticed a tear on material on the baffles today when I took the earpad off, strange how it happened as I baby all of my babies, do you think this will affect sound even in the slightest? My gut feeling is no. 

I think that bass ports are under that sticker. As long as it's not uncovering one, you'd be fine.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #146 of 517
Quote:
I think that bass ports are under that sticker. As long as it's not uncovering one, you'd be fine.

When I looked it had ripped and pulled back, I just stuck it back down but it's a tad loose.

Kimvictor, have you tried any other pads? It's a shame the actual size of the v6's cups isn't larger, I'd love to get some LCD-2/SR007 pads on there.
I've been using stock and have had no fit/comfort issues so I never bothered with the DT250/840 pads, but I might give the 840s a go, I've always found them very comfey.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #147 of 517
Quote:

When I looked it had ripped and pulled back, I just stuck it back down but it's a tad loose.

Kimvictor, have you tried any other pads? It's a shame the actual size of the v6's cups isn't larger, I'd love to get some LCD-2/SR007 pads on there.
I've been using stock and have had no fit/comfort issues so I never bothered with the DT250/840 pads, but I might give the 840s a go, I've always found them very comfey.

I have the 940's pad, and they are very comfortable.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #148 of 517
I just modded my V6. 

1. Remove the foam dampers in the drivers: Opens up the sound by a bit.

2. Drill a 1mm bass vent. This give much more impactful and punchy bass. It does sacrifice a tiny bit of clarity though. Also, lower mids become more thicker, resulting in a warm/neutral sound. Treble stays more or less the same.

This is with SRH940 earpad.

I just did this because I was bored and I bought the V6 to experiment/mess around. I guess after all, the sound signature totally changed. It feels much more open and warm, but it does sacrifice a bit of clarity.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #149 of 517
Quote:
I just modded my V6. 

Without a stock pair to A -> B against comparing modifications is really a test of sound memory and expectation bias, I'd get a second pair to properly validate your claims, you might even hit gold. Covering the bass port would probably simulate not having the bass port though.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #150 of 517
Quote:

Without a stock pair to A -> B against comparing modifications is really a test of sound memory and expectation bias, I'd get a second pair to properly validate your claims, you might even hit gold. Covering the bass port would probably simulate not having the bass port though.

Hmm. My dad also has a pair of 20 years old V6, so I might just pull that out to A-B it. But the difference was really obvious and noticeable as soon as I did the mod. This is an actual night and day change I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back