Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #212 of 517
I'm seriously considering snapping up a pair of these before they're all permanently gone. Also because they seem like a cool pair of cans to have generally.

get the 7506 instead since its got better warranty and support due to by virtue of being part of Sony's Professional gear lineup.

or you could be the first owner to talk about these headphones on headfi
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755659-REG/Senal_SMH_1000_STUDIO_MONITOR_HEADPHONES.html

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #213 of 517
Just an FYI, but I've been playing around with the pads on the V6 lately.  I'd have to say there's a significant difference between the DT250 velour pads and the Pearstone/Auray velour pads.  I didn't think the differences were that great originally, but the DT250 pads are more "rolled" and form an honest cavity while the Pearstone/Auray are more flat.  The result, at least with my ears, is a pretty big difference in bass.  With the DT250 pads, the V6's are almost totally circumaural on my ears (lots more bass), with the Pearstone/Auray they're not.

YMMV, of course, but perhaps it's something to think about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #216 of 517
Has anyone both the 7506 (or V6) and the Beyer DT250 and could please compare them briefly?

I have had both but not at the same time (7506 and 80-ohm, resp.)

7506: More sub- and mid-bass. Colder low-mids. Brighter, clearer high-mids. More treble. Sound like closed Grados with bass. Overall best for speed, clarity, and upper mids (female voices).

DT250-80: More upper bass. Much warmer low mids. Slightly recessed (or smooth/muffled depending on POV) upper mids and treble. Sound like closed Sennheiser 6xx. Overall best for laid-back sound and low-mids (male voices).

EDIT1: The above descriptions are meant as comparative attributes and not absolutes.
EDIT2: I currently own 7506's with DT250 pads (best of both worlds, IMO, and sold the DT250-80 if that helps. Also, The DT250-250 is supposed to be less dark, more clear than the 80-ohm flavor. The Beyers are much less sensitlve than the Sonys and didn't sound as good through my iPhone. I would love to hear a properly amped DT250-250 to compare.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #217 of 517

I have had both but not at the same time (7506 and 80-ohm, resp.)

7506: More sub- and mid-bass. Colder low-mids. Brighter, clearer high-mids. More treble. Sound like closed Grados with bass. Overall best for speed, clarity, and upper mids (female voices).

DT250-80: More upper bass. Much warmer low mids. Slightly recessed (or smooth/muffled depending on POV) upper mids and treble. Sound like closed Sennheiser 6xx. Overall best for laid-back sound and low-mids (male voices).

EDIT1: The above descriptions are meant as comparative attributes and not absolutes.
EDIT2: I currently own 7506's with DT250 pads (best of both worlds, IMO, and sold the DT250-80 if that helps. Also, The DT250-250 is supposed to be less dark, more clear than the 80-ohm flavor. The Beyers are much less sensitlve than the Sonys and didn't sound as good through my iPhone. I would love to hear a properly amped DT250-250 to compare.

Oh man, thanks a lot!
That's a very clear comparison.
I own the DT 250 - 250 ohms and drive them with an ODAC+O2.
They sound indeed clearer and cleaner than the 80 ohms. They are so neutral and musical... Closed HPs of the highest calibre. Some people state they sound like a closed HD 600 would sound.
Since, like the Sonys, they are used in so many studios, I was wondering if the 7506 would be an upgrade, sidegrade or downgrade?
Thanks u again.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #218 of 517
Hello folks, from what I have read, the v6 are great headphones for people who cannot spend too much on headphones (like me). I really want to buy them, I have read only good reviews about them and fell in love with their looks therefore I believe that they are the perfect ones for me.

However I live in Bulgaria, and they are a little hard to obtain here. I have to either order them from internet or buy them for 1.5x the price here (I'd rather not). So I came across them on the UK amazon, but these are not sold directly by amazon but by HDSales and Appods for 50 pounds = 59 eur = 78 usd which is a little bit less than how they are priced on amazon.com. So my question is: is it possible that these are counterfeits? Has anyone purchased his/her from there?

I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread but I felt that opening a new thread might be too much for such a simple question.
Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #220 of 517

Oh man, thanks a lot!
That's a very clear comparison.
I own the DT 250 - 250 ohms and drive them with an ODAC+O2.
They sound indeed clearer and cleaner than the 80 ohms. They are so neutral and musical... Closed HPs of the highest calibre. Some people state they sound like a closed HD 600 would sound.
Since, like the Sonys, they are used in so many studios, I was wondering if the 7506 would be an upgrade, sidegrade or downgrade?
Thanks u again.

To me they are a sidegrade. However, the sony's cost less than half than the Beyer's, fold up, don't need an amp, and sound completely different than the dt250's. I would consider the sony's a much better value. I really like the DT250's and the 7506/V6's complement each other near perfectly.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #222 of 517
  Don't forget Bluecell pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Replacement-Earpad-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B007XPMFGM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1378472587&sr=8-7&keywords=mdr-v6

Yep.  Again - JMHO, but I think most of the pleather versions are alike and probably analogous to the DT250 velours - more of a rolled pad that provides a definite cavity for accentuating the bass.  I guess I just wanted to mainly point out that there are major differences in the after-market velours.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #223 of 517
So 9-19-13 is the day that marks the end of my Sony MDR-V6.

It was fun, but typically any Headphone's weak point is its wiring.

So in the morning of that yesterday i nearly dropped my headphones on the street ground on the walk toschool. i grabbed it by the cord as it was the last thing i could grasp.
Perhaps thats why my Wiring went bellyup.

next morning i notice a silver strand sticking out the connecting area of the earcup and decided it was not supposed to be there, so i pulled it out....

Couldnt listen with my headphones throughout the day since i was in class, but finally able to listen i was highly saddened that i hear no noise coming from the left speaker unless i try some unorthodox cord bending..

It was fun, I loved these headphones. But its either i send to Sony (being still under warranty) and wait it out a few days to do so.
Or move on to perhaps a better model....

I will guarantee THese are Durable headphones, though dont go jerking the cord to any headphone or any electronic with electrical cords for that matter..

So enough of my sadstory.
As of now they are resting in the original box as a tombstone.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #224 of 517
You can get pads from ebay for very cheap.  There's some good pads and some really bad ones though, so be careful on which you get.  A thread of mine on the subject:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/672641/anyone-tried-sony-v6-ebay-leather-pads#post_9728748

Repairing the wiring really shouldn't be that hard, and if you know anyone who's ever used a soldering iron and isn't a total cluts, they very well could be able to repair them. If you're about to throw them away anyhow, nothing to lose!

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #225 of 517
You can get pads from ebay for very cheap.  There's some good pads and some really bad ones though, so be careful on which you get.  A thread of mine on the subject:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/672641/anyone-tried-sony-v6-ebay-leather-pads#post_9728748

Repairing the wiring really shouldn't be that hard, and if you know anyone who's ever used a soldering iron and isn't a total cluts, they very well could be able to repair them. If you're about to throw them away anyhow, nothing to lose!

i could try it, but probably not now.

besides i may keep em sometime i decide on sending them in for repair/replacement via warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back