Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,096 of 1,311

Quote:
They absolutely change with burn-in. They're harsh and sibilant as hell at first. I'd say you'll notice change in 10 hours or so. Maybe less.

I've given them about 20-25 hours of burn-in and still finding them to be harsh and very sibilant, almost un-listenable, especially with female vocals such as Diana Krall or Eva Cassidy.  I get a good fit and seal with the hybrids and have even tried some Complys and double/triple silicone tips I have but I'm just not getting what I was looking for.  I'm going to give them a few more days but at this point they sound like a very bright IE8 with less bass.  Am I missing something or is this what it is?

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,097 of 1,311
well the potential is there most deifnately, just takes some adjusting to smooth it out? what are you using as your source? something on the warmer side helped with me, my iPod Classic 7th gen, with the equalizer set to hip hop really cut the harsh and sibilant mids to start out with, and the contour switch on the GS Voyager also had to stay shut off, because that adds to the mids and highs, but the ZOv1, along with the Voyager as stepping off point for the sound really was my sweetest spot for the sound that I've been wanting!!!!!!! but now Ive moved onto the MDR7550s, and there are more balanced with more mid centric, with none of the harsh and sibilant mids of the 600s, but in the end after 7months of use the harshnes was no longer there, but I like the mids of the 7550s more, what i also did was to use the filters that came along with my Head-Direct large bi-flange tips, also filtered out the harshness alot, without comprimising the sound at all, so equalise the treble spike of use a warm sourece, I like the sound of the iPod Classic line out,

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,098 of 1,311
I let them run for 22 hours with brown noise (similar to pink noise with more bass) and they seem to have mellowed quite a bit.  I think I am starting to like them, I'm going to let them run for another 24 hours and see what happens.
I also need to order the correct Complys, I have the 500s which fit but are just a fraction loose, I need to order the 200s.

My source is the Fiio E10 from my PC.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,099 of 1,311
using EX with comply. Im not using the recommended T200 tips but the TF10's tips, the T500. because I have like 8 pairs, and what I do it push the tip completly onto the bore until it passes the second bump and touch the diaphragm enclosure. it works great.

so far a very light and clear sound, quite punchy but without sacrificing midrange (unlike the TF10) I like it better for vocal based music. Using a Cowon J3 as source, will try the T51 later.

so far so good 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #1,100 of 1,311
Another 24 hours of burn in but this time I added Dweaver's burn in files to my playlist and a 20-20K sweep.  I was a bit frustrated yesterday and posted these in the FS forum but I think them might be growing on me.  I ordered the T200s and they will be here tomorrow and I think I need to give them a chance.  My T500s are mediums and they are a little small with the EX600 so I ordered large T200s.   I know that I don't like them with silicone, they are just too bright for me.  My first impressions were a lean bright IE8 but maybe that's not such a bad thing.  I few more days will tell.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,101 of 1,311
I just got a pair from a user on this site. And I have to say I love these headphones. I wish they felt more secured in my ears. I feel that are going to fall out but so far they haven't. I tried a couple of the stock earbuds and didn't really like them. I have some Comply not sure what kind but the round ones. And with these they work good I get a great seal. Even though I feel they aren't securely in they seem to stay and they are really comfortable. They seem to go really loud too and louder then any of my other earphones. I don't have much to compare them too besides. TMA-1, MELEC M6, Monster Turbine. and half a dozen trash earphones.

These earphones are super clear. I feel that instrument is separate and you can hear everything. I do admit it doesn't have bass compared to my Monster Turbine but the bass is really fast and responsive. I have an Fiio E6 and with the EQ2 on these headphones sound amazing since it gives it just enough bass that I love. 

I even prefer these headphones over the TMA-1. Which I never thought I would prefer I.E.M.s to Headphones. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #1,104 of 1,311
Also...I don't have other expensive I.E.M.s...lol.... What I have to compare these to are Monster Turbine, MeElec M6, and MeElec M31....which are a lot lower quality compared to yours...lol...

the TF10 are actually my next I.E.M.s I was thinking of getting in a couple of months. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,106 of 1,311

Quote:
I actually found that compared to my other IEMs they require much more power, but maybe it's just the combo of the EX600 and Fiio E10.  My IE8 and TF10, I listen at about 2 on the E10 dial but the EX600 I'm up to 4.

That's true comparing to IE80 driven by my iphone 4s unamped. At times I wish the vol could go even lower than the lowest possible on my iphone with IE80.

BTW how do you compare ASG-1 to EX600?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,107 of 1,311

Quote:
That's true comparing to IE80 driven by my iphone 4s unamped. At times I wish the vol could go even lower than the lowest possible on my iphone with IE80.

BTW how do you compare ASG-1 to EX600?

I have not had enough time yet but my initial impression of the EX600 is that it is similar to the IE8 with out the mid-bass hump, clearer, a little brighter and less bass focused with a big soundstage.   I find my audio memory to very short lived and since I no longer have the ASG-1, I'm going to have to stop going from memory.  What I can say is that the ASG-1 is so mid-forward that they are VERY different phones not that one is better or worse.  The ASG-1 just has a very unique sound signature where I find the EX600 to be like a second cousin to the TF10, IE8/80.  Similar but different.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,108 of 1,311
Quote:
I just got a pair from a user on this site. And I have to say I love these headphones. I wish they felt more secured in my ears. I feel that are going to fall out but so far they haven't.

Congrats and welcome to the club :)

Just store them like this when not in use and they'll stay more securely in your ears:

Quote:

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,109 of 1,311
A lot of people say they don't feel secure...but seriously, once you're wearing them and have a proper seal, act as if you're trying to shake water out of your ear and see if they come out. You might be surprised.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,110 of 1,311

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the club :)

Just store them like this when not in use and they'll stay more securely in your ears:

Thanks for that!

Quote:
A lot of people say they don't feel secure...but seriously, once you're wearing them and have a proper seal, act as if you're trying to shake water out of your ear and see if they come out. You might be surprised.

I used them for the first time on my commute and yes, they did not feel secure but I did not have any problems with them working loose.  The Large Complys I just got certainly help them stay in.  Since they are longer they also push them out just a bit and I find that the sounstage gets a little bigger. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back