Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,081 of 1,311
I've been using the EX-600 for a couple of weeks now, and I can confidently say that they are one of my favourite "chillout" iem at home! They sound really great and are very comfortable.
They have a very balanced sound (more note weight than the RE-252 and much clearer than IE8 thanks to the absence of the midbass hump).
I still think my SM3 are more detailed and offer a more 3d like soundstage, but I have to say that when I listen to music while doing something, I prefer the more relaxed sounding EX-600.
Great IEM, all in all !

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,082 of 1,311
Hey guys thanks for the heads up on the head-direct bi-flanges, so far so good, I have a question.  How far on the nozzle do you seat them?  Should they sit like the hybrids in the recess between the two rings, or past the second ring as they seem to slip to when I am trying to get them seated, I tend to prefer having them seat between the recess however I notice that there is a lot of flange between my ear and the nozzle.

Quote:
I use Head-Directs large bi-flange tips, positioned and jammed upwards at an angle way into my ears, I know they are positioned right when I can push on the 600s, and the sound doestn't change any, and they stay nice and snug and provide great bass, an excellent soundstage, and with using the filters that come with the bi-flanges also seems to help out with the hot treble!! oh and having the Voyager>ZOv1 in the set up also helps out for a freakingly awesome superfragilkalalisticexpialidousously

SOUND!!!!

I've tried every other tip and then some and they all have me wanting the Head-Directs large bi-flange tips

but DigitalFreak says it right with it just all depends on the person and the fit ? and what works the best, what is one mans fit is another mans nightmare, lol,   

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,083 of 1,311
hey DZ, yea I know what you mean I was on the fence at first with how far they should go on, but now I'm just resolved to putting them all they way down past both of the humps, saves me the hassle of trying to keep them positioned otherwise, and I'm not 100% certain, but also I don't think there was a whole lot of difference in the sound with where they sit on the IEMs stem, so all the way on is the way it sits for me, plus it helps with really pushing on them to get them positioned just right, and they also don't sit out of my ears any further than they have to, I had a little girl call me dumbo at the super market the other day, luckily I couldn't hear her as I was flying away, lol,

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,085 of 1,311
^ those were my favorite tips for quite some time, until the meelec's. 
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,088 of 1,311
Grado iGi biflanges also work well with the EX600 imo; I think theyre the same as the Head-direct/Hifiman biflanges. Theyre $10 shipped from a 3rd party seller on Amazon (also around the same price from J&R), came with 2 pairs of biflanges, a generic foamie, and some weird cone-shaped single flange

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,090 of 1,311
In terms of price:performance ratio, the EX600 is every bit as good as the GR07, or FXT90 for that matter. Hence, I'd say it's definitely worth trying.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,092 of 1,311

Quote:
Got mine today.

Do you feel the sound changes with burn in?
Voices are a bit rough at the moment.

IME they definitely improve with burn in. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #1,094 of 1,311
I've been faithfully listening to these for the last 6 months, and the harshness I'd say is 95% gone/improved since when I first had them, initially you will find considerable improvemnet with the harshness, and then they will gradually improve over the longer haul/listening experience, I went with a copper/gold plated lod and innerconnect to hook my rig up, which helped down play the high end of the EX600 sound, and it helped imensley, I use an iPod Classic 7th gen with the eq set to hip hop which helped> c/g plated lod>GS Voyager w/contour switch off>c/g p innerconnect>ZOv1 used to enhance the bass as opposed to the GS Vs countour switch which only added to the harsh and sibilant treble issue> EX600s that have Head-Directs large bi-flange tips awesome tips at that! and to date they are the most awesome sounding IEM that I've ever heard, not that that says alot as my experience is only with TF10s that were traded for the 600s, RE262s which made me want to trade the TF10s for anything, thanks Majin, and sold the 262s after getting and hearing the 600s! and since the harshness is almost completely gone on the 600s I can now run all silver lod and innerconncet, which emphasizes the top end of the sound without adding to any harshness or sibilance ? hhmmm go figure! 

and as of recent I just bought ericp10s 7550s! which give me the mids that I have been wanting some more of as of recent, I can thank the 262s for that, cuz there mids are warm sweet and enveloping, but too light in th bass dept, and thats when I found the 600s to having the best of both the TF10s and the 262s, with awesome bass and some of the treble of the TF10s but without any muddiness, and with mids that are closer to the 262s, wrapped into one! how did the Zen master order his hotdog, why he had ONE with everyting, lol, now I am giving the 7550s a listen, and they are nice very very nice, none of the harshness, with more bass, thicker mids, and a slightly smaller sound stage than the 600s, vocals seem a bit more forward, still finding out how to set them up to sounding the best, but I am liking them alot, a different beast then the 600s, almost completely different sound signiture than the 600s, with some similarities of the Sonys EX series, they are very rich and thick sounding, I thought I might keep one or the other, but I might have to keep both and switch back and forth to enjoy what they both have to offer! but I got to thinking that I might just try and hook up one of each at the same time ?  
blink.gif
, and see what effects a mad scientists expierement will have, if I don't post in a while, well them my head probably exploded and have died with a smile on my face, lol, happy listening yall!        

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,095 of 1,311
Just ordered a pair, these will be my first Sony's in over a decade.  I blame my first pair of EX70 for starting my down this pocket emptying road.  Well now it's come full circle and I'm back on the Sony train.  I just posted something yesterday about taking a break from buying new IEMS but Electronics Expo had a 30% off code today so here I am......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back