Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,051 of 1,311

Quote:

T51 is soooo 2009 now, I ordered the Teclast X19HD, it's a little powerful beast with hardware bass boost, and T59 should be released soon.

Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 (the portable objective2) is in pre-order phase right now, I ordered that one too.

Same here, the EX700's can be a bit difficult to like, but when you like them, damn are they nice! They are the most love/hate IEM ever, better than SE535 at least that's for sure.

I could have stopped my IEM journey with the EX700 and CK10, I haven't advanced since then and they were both really enjoyable.

EX600 is fresher, easier to listen to, cleaner notes, increased soundspace... at first it was "wow, these are much better" like walking from a dusty church into a fresh garden, I'm mostly in the garden, but sometimes I go back into the church, the issue I have is if I'm in there for too long my ears start ringing, using the EX700 on a 10 hour plane trip is not a very pleasant experience!

I recommend trying decored Shure olive tips on the EX700, that improved the sound quality for me, and if you have an equalizer, lower ~1kHz a lot.

In the end, my advice is the EX600 is different enough to the EX700 to justify the EX600, but they're still two different kinds of Apple. The EX600 isn't completely perfect either, the soundspace is so distant at times they lack intimacy (imho) and the treble has a slight digital touch to it, especially "schhh" sounds, the EX600 has higher performance and articulation, but it has a higher "ink" factor to the sound too, whereas the EX700 is a bit more source transparent.

Instead of going from sour apples to red declicious, why not try dragonfruit? The Sony XBA-3IP will be released in Japan in three days, approx ~$200 USD.

Kiteki I'm curious, have you tried tip rolling or did you stick with the stock Sony tips? Congrats on the X19Dh it looks nice I hope it sounds as good as your old DAP.

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,057 of 1,311

Quote:

'Tip rolling' = changing tips, like "opamp rolling".

I just use the size M foamy tip, I like the Hifiman small biflange and Shure olives as well.

Thanks kiteki right now I'm using the UE700 tips. It's a far more comfortable fit for me. I think I'll look into a bi flange tip in the near future thanks for the idea.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,058 of 1,311
I don't know about you guys but mine have really smoothed out. I think these are better than some other companies' top offerings(that I've heard). I even prefer them over my beloved Miles Davis Tribute.
ksc75smile.gif

Also, I think they're slightly cooler looking than the 1000s.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #1,059 of 1,311
Quote:
I don't know about you guys but mine have really smoothed out. I think these are better than some other companies' top offerings(that I've heard).

Agreed. The only thing that bothers me (except for occasonal wind noise) is that the soundstage lacks depth and forward projection compared to the EX1000. Nevertheless they're one of the best bang/buck IEMs I know.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #1,060 of 1,311
Hi guys!
I more or less read all that has been said here, but I may have missed some info.

Could anyone tell me how's the bass quantity compared to RE-252 and/or SM3? Reading this topic, I have the impression that the EX600 should fit somewhere in-bewteen, having more bass weight than the RE-252, but better clarity then SM3.
Am I right?
If you have any comparison to the IE8, I'm in, too :D
Thanks in advance!

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,064 of 1,311

I just thought I'd say that my favorite IEM synergy with the Hifiman HM-601 is the Sony EX600, it's a really high quality setup for listening to lounge, chill-out, house, jazz-fusion electro any soft type music that will benefit from an analog sound.

The HM-601 is nice but suffers a lot with IEM's with high-end roll-off (like the E888), and the flaws of the HM-601 [very narrow sounding and low-rez] become overly apparent with lively or highly detailed music.

That's my experience with the EX600 and HM-601, very very high quality sound with a smooth analog feel but you need the right IEM and right music or it's a disaster.

By the way the EX600 for $131 here - http://www.beachaudio.com/Sony/Mdrex600-p-487067.html

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,065 of 1,311
A guy in the EX1000 thread said he found the 1000s to be sibilant and harsh, and his source was that 601. Man this stuff can be so confusing sometimes. Have you tried the Zo with the EX600/1000? I'd probably have picked one up already if it was also a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back