Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #931 of 1,311
Quote:
How we interpret sound can be affected by psychological stimuli and this aspect is sometimes overlooked. The tips shouldn't sound different, but insertion depth will. I'd recommend not listening to them for a few days, then come back to them with the large tips and a fresh perspective.

I too was going to suggest giving your ears a well deserved break every now and then; else listening fatigue can really change the way you perceive sound.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #933 of 1,311
Well, more of a lurker here, but I am going to chime in on my initial, layman impressions of the EX600 in a far-less-than-ideal situation - at a crowded computer exhibition (COMEX, for those in Singapore). It was on sale, about 20% off the usurious retail price here - just a tad lower than the US retail price in US dollars, with I gather, quite a bit less accessories at the expense of local warranty - no removable cable too, and the cable seems thinner. Isolation is, to quote 3602, a Greek tragedy, exacerbated by the fact that I did not get a good seal because I am not an IEM guy. Marginally better than earbuds, I would say. Build quality and comestics are stunning imo though.

With regards to the sound, the lack of seal and the cacophonous environment made it almost impossible to hear bass - and I am sensitive to bass. Even mid-fi cans like the 2010 M50 give me an headache. Source, my crappy HTC Touch2/T3333/Mega, was less than ideal too, and I barely had time to audition half a song (Diana Krall's version of Fly Me To The Moon from the Live In Paris album in CBR 320 kbps). I am pretty impressed. The mids were transparent with a very, very slight warm lilt to it, and the treble was pretty smooth and extended for the price. Soundstage was amazing - better than M50s, and sits better with me than the HFI-580s; S-Logic made the same song from the same source feel too vicarious, like I was hanging from a camera dolly on top of the first row. The EX600s put me ever so slightly in front of the first row, in the middle, and had excellent imaging. Soundstage extended in an approximately 135 degree arc, and instruments were placed behind the grand piano, with the drums displaced ever so slightly to the left, and the bass to the right to a greater degree, and slightly more forward. Diana's voice was clear, and free of what little sibilance was in the song (seems like I am more of a treblehead than I credit myself to be), mellifluous, and shone beautifully to bring the song together. I cannot conclusively comment on the bass, but the rest of the spectrum was great. Highly recommended for jazz and non-bassheads.

If I double-post, please ignore and forgive me. Fibre-optic internet won't help if the website cannot play well with my browser(s).

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #934 of 1,311
^ Very nice impressions, I agree Diana Krall sounds excellent on the EX600. And might add that there's just the right amount of quality bass in more quiet surroundings than your crowded exhibition. To these ears and with a good seal they're also pretty free of sibilance, so overall those Sonys are stellar bang for buck if you don't need much isolation.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #935 of 1,311
DISCLAIMER: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

(Also, I am not responsible for your stupid actions, because if you did what I'm about to describe, you would be stupid.)

Okay!  So, I've discovered how to simultaneously give myself a minor heart attack and mellow out the EX600 a bit at the SAME TIME!  Whoo!  Except not.  Wanna know what I did?

I ran them through the clothes washer.

Yup, I'm that dense, that I accidentally left them in my shirt pocket.  Just as a thought, don't leave expensive things in places that you normally don't put anything.  Something bad might happen to it.  So I discover they went through the cycle and I freak out a bit, take them apart and set them up to dry.  The next day I give them a listen, praying that nothing has happened.  Unfortunately, something did happen.  They're much quieter than they were.  For reference, they're at a comfortable listening level at max volume on my iPod Touch.  However, I have noticed that the highs are less annoying, so there's that.  I think they're alright, but I'm still not happy about it.

SO, any of you have thoughts on this?  For instance, why are they quieter, what probably happened when the water hit them?  I'm curious.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #936 of 1,311

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

(Also, I am not responsible for your stupid actions, because if you did what I'm about to describe, you would be stupid.)

Okay!  So, I've discovered how to simultaneously give myself a minor heart attack and mellow out the EX600 a bit at the SAME TIME!  Whoo!  Except not.  Wanna know what I did?

I ran them through the clothes washer.

Yup, I'm that dense, that I accidentally left them in my shirt pocket.  Just as a thought, don't leave expensive things in places that you normally don't put anything.  Something bad might happen to it.  So I discover they went through the cycle and I freak out a bit, take them apart and set them up to dry.  The next day I give them a listen, praying that nothing has happened.  Unfortunately, something did happen.  They're much quieter than they were.  For reference, they're at a comfortable listening level at max volume on my iPod Touch.  However, I have noticed that the highs are less annoying, so there's that.  I think they're alright, but I'm still not happy about it.

SO, any of you have thoughts on this?  For instance, why are they quieter, what probably happened when the water hit them?  I'm curious.

Cowon S9 + FiiO E5 + M1  +  Washing machine = me freaking out

I was drunk, long story short:

Nothing wrong. Used it an hour ago

Question: Did you send them through the dryer? That would "dry" the water out of the structures

Stupid question, I know. But I did it nonetheless because there wasn't nothing to lose after the system went through the spin cycle of my washer.

Don't send them through the dryer. Lightly blow them and see if water comes out. As long as they play sound, hopefully you didn't mess anything up

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #937 of 1,311
Put them into a ziplock bag of uncooked rice and hope for the best.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #938 of 1,311

Quote:
Cowon S9 + FiiO E5 + M1  +  Washing machine = me freaking out

I was drunk, long story short:

Nothing wrong. Used it an hour ago

Question: Did you send them through the dryer? That would "dry" the water out of the structures

Stupid question, I know. But I did it nonetheless because there wasn't nothing to lose after the system went through the spin cycle of my washer.

Don't send them through the dryer. Lightly blow them and see if water comes out. As long as they play sound, hopefully you didn't mess anything up

Yeah, I wasn't even drunk!  Ugh, it could be in my head, but I think they're somewhat screwed up.  They still sound good, but I've gotta be more careful when running stuff through the washer.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #939 of 1,311
speaking of liquids...

the left earpiece on my ex600s kinda landed on very shallow water(i just won't give the details lol). i was freakin' scared to death! they still sounded fine after though...
which begs the question...are these IEMs, somehow, weather-sealed/proof (or some other term like that) ?

looking at it physically, the main concern is that small hole, or i recall it being called a vent somewhere. which apparently is a major part of the design of a dynamic driver IEM, and affects its sound.

in fact, that might be the only concern. everything from its screw type locking mechanism, to the half-aluminum casing and its long nozzle contribute to its durability and "proofing".

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #941 of 1,311
Back on topic then!

Quote:
No, I have to agreed that while Etys are certainly not bass heavy IEMs (and I have owned them all), they are not sibilant (well, at least not the BA Etys. Oddly enough, the newer M3/M5s caused some ssssssing when I heard them). So no reason to wonder. People who say Etys are sibilant don't know what they are talking about. Yes, they are analytical and the sound sig is not for everyone. But they are not sibilant.

I agree, the Ety ER-4's aren't sibilant, you might recall I said I was finding them sibilant, I have to retract that statement, I had an inner-ear irritation that somehow made me very sensitive to sibilance, when the irritation was at it's worst I found birds tweeting and tram tracks sibilant, I also felt nauseous and my outer ear started going numb, I went to the doctor and it was easily fixed with some hydrogen peroxide and I was quickly back to normal....... I hope that rare event excuses me from calling the ER-4 sibilant!... 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Are you still in EX600 heaven @ kiteki? 
popcorn.gif
etysmile.gif

yes.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure kiteki's got two hundred and seventy two other priorities at the moment.
wink.gif

Indeed, and I have to complete that stupid review before I go to a huge meet on saturday since I think that event will take any enthusiasm I have left for Hifiman down the drain.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #942 of 1,311
So i pulled the trigger on a pair of ex600s for $130 off of ebay after kiteki recommended them. I'll give some impressions, but this will be my 1st high end iem, and the only phone i have to compare it with is the sr225i.

What improvements/disadvantages should i expect coming from the sr225i's? they should be at my house in a few days, but i'm just too curious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back