Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #901 of 1,311
Sorry it was just too funny that the EX600 were hurting your ears and then it was like "back to the ER-4" haha.

It's not exactly the most gentle sounding IEM.

Don't get me wrong I do really really like the ER-4S sound, and I'll be revisiting it in custom IEM's.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #902 of 1,311

Quote:
I'm sorry kiteki, but what was humorous about my post? 

I know you don't like the etys, but why is it funny that someone else might? 

I don't know what he found so humorous about that statement, but I thought myself that it was just a little funny that you thought the EX600's had piercing highs when all of the Etymotic IEM I've tried had much worse (to my ears anyway; IMO)

Not to speak for him or anything, but I think that's what he thought was funny...

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #904 of 1,311
I don't know what he found so humorous about that statement, but I thought myself that it was just a little funny that you thought the EX600's had piercing highs when all of the Etymotic IEM I've tried had much worse (to my ears anyway; IMO)

Not to speak for him or anything, but I think that's what he thought was funny...

kiteki is FEMALE :xf_eek:

true about recording quality and sibilance. mostly on vocals but i hear it sometimes on instruments like cymbals and electric guitars. i got the cowboy junkies' platinum and gold collection on my DAP and the first track, their rendition of the velvet underground's sweet jane is too sibilant. right when she sings "sweet jane" on the chorus. i would cringe every time!

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #905 of 1,311

Quote:
kiteki is FEMALE
redface.gif

Are you sure? I thought that he just had girls as his avatar... Huh. 

Sorry if I offended you kiteki 
redface.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #907 of 1,311

Quote:
Are you sure? I thought that he just had girls as his avatar... Huh. 

Sorry if I offended you kiteki 
redface.gif

It's the same girl lol.  
tongue_smile.gif
  All I was taught in the the military was to always look for the Adam's apple.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #909 of 1,311

Quote:
Are you implying the avatar's wearing a turtleneck for a reason?
wink.gif

Thanks, I'll never look at turtlenecks the same way again.  Thankfully it's warm in California.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #911 of 1,311

Quote:

True, the etymotic iems have a large amount of treble extension, but for some reason, to my ears, they have zero sibilance. The highs in the etys sound like highs in normal listening. On the other hand, it seems like the EX600s have a large amount of sibilance no matter what I listen to. The treble on the EX600 is loud, but it's not very detailed/controlled. I think that's what's causing my problems. Maybe I just have weird ears. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #912 of 1,311

Quote:
No, I have to agreed that while Etys are certainly not bass heavy IEMs (and I have owned them all), they are not sibilant (well, at least not the BA Etys. Oddly enough, the newer M3/M5s caused some ssssssing when I heard them). So no reason to wonder. People who say Etys are sibilant don't know what they are talking about. Yes, they are analytical and the sound sig is not for everyone. But they are not sibilant.

Oh I've gotten sibilance from the ER4P before for sure.  But that was accentuation of already sibilant tracks like Don Henley singing 'Desperado' from Hell Freezes Over.  A source signature too could emphasize it as well if its on the bright side.  So I have been ear raped by the ER4P and honeslty can't listen to them more than 15 minutes max.  ER4S is no problem.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #913 of 1,311

Quote:
Oh I've gotten sibilance from the ER4P before for sure.  But that was accentuation of already sibilant tracks like Don Henley singing 'Desperado' from Hell Freezes Over.  A source signature too could emphasize it as well if its on the bright side.  So I have been ear raped by the ER4P and honeslty can't listen to them more than 15 minutes max.  ER4S is no problem.

Perhaps that's why I detect no sibilance; I use the ER4S model. It just feels like absolute finesse on the top end of those. 

I'm still torn about whether to return the EX600s. I honestly love everything about them minus the hot treble. Perhaps I'll just get used to it?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #914 of 1,311
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #915 of 1,311
I'm pretty sure kiteki's got two hundred and seventy two other priorities at the moment.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back