Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #421 of 1,311
Sony only does mass-market stuff huh? 

Anyone recall the MDR-R10? That's about as high end, esoteric, and pinnacle as it gets in the headphone world. 

I will also take this opportunity to say that my EX1000's are my all time favorite IEM I've heard/owned. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #422 of 1,311
So maybe actually try the EX600s before speculating whether or not it's hype. Or even just try the EX800 or EX1000 to at least have some idea, however little, of how the EX600s will fit, sound, and perform.
Quote:
Ok fine it's not hype then LOL, I just find it amusing sorry because I've always had to defend my Sony products against narrow-minded Apple users and snobby audiophiles (not on head-fi, IRL), and now I'm venturing into Etymotic, Sensaphonic and chinese stuff like Yulong and looking at these new Sony killers on head-fi?

I believe I am guilty of contributing to the hype (whether or not that's what it is) because I haven't heard the EX600 myself, because I love the EX700 and a tiny bit afraid of the wind-noise issues and upgradeitis that I'll fall victim to and buy the EX1000 which I can't afford.

Really if there is anyone looking at this thread that can't afford the EX600, get a second-hand EX700, you just have to reduce the 1kHz region with approx 4dB and then it sounds teriffic.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #423 of 1,311
Remember that just because everybody likes something doesn't mean that you will too. With headphones, this is especially true. The only way to find out if you like a headphone is to actually listen to it for a long time with your own ears, music and source. These Sonys are not the best in their price range. Nor are they the best at anything. Because there is no best. There simply cannot be a perfect headphone that everybody will like.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #424 of 1,311
Quote:
There simply cannot be a perfect headphone that everybody will like.

Well, almost everybody.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #425 of 1,311

Quote:
Remember that just because everybody likes something doesn't mean that you will too. With headphones, this is especially true. The only way to find out if you like a headphone is to actually listen to it for a long time with your own ears, music and source. These Sonys are not the best in their price range. Nor are they the best at anything. Because there is no best. There simply cannot be a perfect headphone that everybody will like.

So true, because most of the regular head-fiers seem to love the DBA-02 and the TF10, but I could barely stand either one. So it's always subjective and you do have to hear for yourself.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #426 of 1,311

Quote:

Oh dear... those sweeping statements again. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #427 of 1,311
It's true though, there is no absolute best. The EX1000s are my favorite universal but I respect the opinion of those preferring IEMs such as the W4, SM3, SE535s, etc. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #428 of 1,311
Sound-waves are objective, though, and the way different HP's transmit their soundwaves is an objective truth, that many people with similiar hearing and similiar tastes will perceive in a similiar positive manner.

Even if james444 jokingly posted the picture of the apple earbuds, there is a video on youtube of an AE showing that they do have a very flat frequency response apart from a large bass roll-off, and they do sound pretty decent for the price.

Personally I never liked the Koss PortaPro very much, I just bought them because they were popular, way back when, I did use them for a very long time though and can see why people like them, even if they sounded kinda muddy imho.

I believe a flat FR and natural, clear, authorative sound in all parts of the spectrum is something the majority of the populus will appreciate, but stating our personal preferences for music, the way we listen to it, and the type of sound we most admire, could help "group" us head-fiers into vague different tastes and then it would become easier to judge which IEM's are good and less good subjectively, of course this already happens, but not as much as I'd like it to, I wish more people would say "I love hip-hop, this song is just so good on my Ety-ER4, I admire wet realistic vocals and heavy bass" <-just a random fictional example, and then more hip-hops lovers would buy the Ety and experience the same feeling.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #429 of 1,311
LOL! I like your sense of humor. The EX600 is all that and a bag of chips!

Quote:
@ Rip 'N Burn above post, you go girl!

Patience is a virtue my friend.

Quote:
FS forum awaits.  Time is money, go go go!

Allow me to further elaborate and qualify my seemingly provocative statement. In terms of sound, there is no doubt in my mind that they are top tier. I'm not saying that they blow away the competition. The decisive factor was the price I paid. I paid $115 for an open box EX600 from B&H that includes a full warranty. As for the competition, I paid over $500 for the EX1000 brand new, $390 for the UM3X RC brand new, $360 for the SE535 used, $300 for the SM3 V1 used, $220 for the MTPC used, $280 for the IE8 used, and so on. Relative to the price I paid, the rest of the top tier iems are overrated. If I had to paid $230 (I've seen the EX600 go for this price) plus shipping and duties, I wouldn't say that the competition is overrated but I would stick to my guns with the fact they are top tier. The bottom line is that I can't believe I got them for that cheap and they sound that good.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #430 of 1,311

Quote:

OK Pianist, there's one example of what I call a sweeping statement (bolded text). 

And just exactly how long is a long time, a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, 3 years? In my particular case - and this does not have to be the case with everybody - I've known within hours whether a phone is right for me or not. I've kept most phones I didn't like longer (than I wanted to) while trying to sell them, and gave them a second chance again and again. My decisions made within hours have always proved, in my case, to be the right ones, except in the case of the CK100 vs UM3X, where it took me 5-6 days to decide I preferred the UM3X.

Not everything is mere opinions as you stated in a different post elsewhere - some people's opinions are actually more valid, perhaps because they have more experience, articulate things better, are not so easily biased, have a wider vision of the topic at hand, etc. That still will not guarantee you will enjoy a product recommended by a good reviewer. But more often than not, they'll make better recommendations than someone who only says "that sucks", "this is amazing", "this is the best for jazz, bad for hip-hop", etc. There are other more objective, quantifiable aspects often overlooked by many of those who simply have an opinion, and I'm not talking about frequency charts.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #431 of 1,311

Quote:
It's true though, there is no absolute best. The EX1000s are my favorite universal but I respect the opinion of those preferring IEMs such as the W4, SM3, SE535s, etc.

Damm straight just as long as ones are happy.

I must say im quite curious about the Ex600. Hearing the Ex1000 I don't know why but I am.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #432 of 1,311
Well in my case, ex600 and probably with the other new ex series, the fact that it is the only IEM that doesn't sound closed, like all the other IEMs I have tried, is a huge win.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #433 of 1,311
@Confispect, I mention those IEMs because I actually don't like them at all or have not heard them because I know I most likely won't like (W4). So yeah preferences vary a lot, I would actually take the HJE900 over the SM3 despite the inferior performance. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #434 of 1,311
The 600's have been in my ears for about two hours so far, and they sound......  I'll save that for later..
tongue_smile.gif
  It's way too early for impressions, but I do like their soundstage and I don't hear any glaring faults at this point.  I'm impressed for $150.  More to follow in a few days..

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #435 of 1,311

Quote:
Well in my case, ex600 and probably with the other new ex series, the fact that it is the only IEM that doesn't sound closed, like all the other IEMs I have tried, is a huge win.

That is interesting, I know you like earbuds, so you think it's something between an earbud and an IEM in sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back