Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,551 of 2,667
They look promising, I have those actual Meze Neo headphones. I might try those pads.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,552 of 2,667
20180123_220934.jpg 20180123_221028.jpg
In front, the replacement of wires at 7N

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #2,554 of 2,667
Update again. There is too much midrange with the Meze pads, this seems to be what they add (while keeping the bass and highs). I'm back to MSR7 pads. I have two pairs as stated before. One is slightly longer and wider and those work, but actually put pressure on the area below my ears, so I went with the slightly smaller pair I had on before. Perfect. I also re-tried stock pads. They are very comfortable, but the soundstage is smaller and the whole sonic experience feels cheaper. Those MSR7 pads seem to add more air and space and detail, just a enough. Bass and mids are still great.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2,555 of 2,667
Someone for the love of god help me. Just got them and I love them besides the fact that the tips of my ears touches the drivers. What's the best pad or mod solution to fix this? Are the geekria pads on amazon thicker? What the hell do I do about this?

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,556 of 2,667
Update again. There is too much midrange with the Meze pads, this seems to be what they add (while keeping the bass and highs). I'm back to MSR7 pads. I have two pairs as stated before. One is slightly longer and wider and those work, but actually put pressure on the area below my ears, so I went with the slightly smaller pair I had on before. Perfect. I also re-tried stock pads. They are very comfortable, but the soundstage is smaller and the whole sonic experience feels cheaper. Those MSR7 pads seem to add more air and space and detail, just a enough. Bass and mids are still great.

Just read about the msr7 ebay pads and ordered some. If they make it so my ears dont touch the drivers they will be a godsent

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,558 of 2,667
Unfortunetly had to return mine even though I paid only 130$... Turned out clamping force too strong for me, and the earpads opening not big enough. Maybe in the future I'll get 1A-M2, when the price drops, looks like those have bigger earpads.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,559 of 2,667
That's a shame. Clamp can be mitigated by bending the headband at the center, I have it set perfectly now with that. MSR7 pads mean more space in every direction.

Update: Back to Meze 99 ear pads, $20 at their website. The highs are similar, slightly more tame, the mids are more forward and I need that. The mid bass is a touch more than perfect, but worth it for the other enhancements. The sub bass is more powerful. They slip on also, but are more work to get onto it (stretch their rubber surround to reach over it). Once on, you have to adjust the inner plastic ring of the Meze cups a bit to sit properly and smoothly without it poking out on the outside. They are a bit more firm than the MSR7 and especially the soft stock pads but they are plenty deep and fit around the ear well. This is now the best sounding and best fitting portable pair of headphones that I've owned.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,560 of 2,667
Proud owner of a new pair.

Sounds great right out of d box. I guess it'll only get better as it's burned in.

Really was worried by all d negative reviews on its bass performance (bloated n too much n overbearing) but I guess I like that signature sound? Maybe my preference of music just suits that signature? (Grunge n Classic rock mostly).

Got it for a hefty discount (new model coming out). I think that's mainly its negative, d price is steep for cheapo audio enthusiasts. But I'm very satisfied with its sound, so maybe it's warranted for d step up in sound.

Source is vinyl n CD rips in flac / mp3 / aac. On Walkman A25 + FiioA12 / Ibasso D0.

Was so impressed had to post something.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #2,562 of 2,667
The DT150 is extremely comfortable. Think ‘big Nad Viso’ with squared pads, not round. Your ears go right inside and the pleather pads hold the drivers firmly away.

They’re not a neutral kind of headphone and have a very large bass but have been a studio monitoring tool in many places for a long time.

Sound is bass focused with a rolled down treble which allows loud listening in studios. They can even be used as mini speakers on a desk because they take a lot of power without blowing the coils. Kind of Senn hd650 type of sound.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #2,564 of 2,667
Thanks @DavidA

Yeah I got it at almost half-price. Anyone living in Kuala Lumpur should check out d Sony Centre at KLCC, the rebate for the MDR1A is crazy. I guess they're getting rid of stock for the MDR-1AM2s coming out.

I'm kind of worried about the pleather earpads n headband. Based on my previous headphones they really don't last that long in my country's humid & hot weather. The glue started to melt and the faux-leather pads cracked all after about a year on my Beyerdynamic n ATH, but they were quite heavily used though. Maybe because my place has no AC.

In any case, still enjoying them. Loving the heavy sounds of synths and pianos on these cans. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back