Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,536 of 2,667
Below is the grill-cloth on my unit. Should this concern me? I thought it's impossible to remove pads

Just gently pull on the pads, they snap off without breaking, if you do it without too much pressure. They click back in place just as easily. Once they are off if, putting the MSR7 pads on, don't bother trying to put the plastic ring from the old pads in there, just wrap them around the outer part of the ear cup surrounding them. Just scroll back a few pages, and you'll see my close up photos showing the new pads on there and how they look where you can easily see how they look. The new pads also have their own protective mesh going over the speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,537 of 2,667
They really opened up after 20hrs mark no longer muddy bloated sound. I don't get critisism about the bass there isn't too much of it, just the right amount to keep you engaging with music. I advice trying experiment with more neutral/cold dacs. Therefore at this point don't feel like doing any mods.

1A in comparison to my HD598Cs (a closed back version of HD598)
Stylish lightweight design and more comfortable pads
Wider soundstage
More detail retrival
Obviously more bass, especially subbass, but still prefer more refined, textured, thighter bass in 598Cs
Worse midrange
Similar treble

Upper midrange is my biggest con of this headphone. Not only it's worse than 598Cs, it's average in general, and I don't think it's because of the bass like I said to my ears bass isn't overshadowing any frequencies. This is bad because upper midrange is highly responsible for enjoyment. In 1A the bass is trying to take up for it, but ultimetly you can feel midrange is lacking. Not in all songs, it's dependent on mastering and type of music. Sony 1A is best suited for EDM, for slower vocal centric songs I still prefer 598Cs. Nothing beats sennheiser lush liquid vocals!
Another minor gripe is about the construction, which is generally good except very cheap plastic "arms". In my pair they make slightly creaking noises, especially on the side with jack connection. My pair doesn't squek at all, and the creaks are not coming from swivel joints, but rather from joints where cups are attached.
Ultimately I'm rather happy for the purchase, wouldn't pay MSRP, but for 98 euros Cyber Monday deal they were worth it!

@Mark Up Thanks I will detatch them and figure out a way how to stretch the mesh. It's not a problem, but it's annoying me :wink: Maybe in the future I'll eperiment with MSR7 pads, but so far stock 1A faux leather pads are very comfortable, plush and soft like lambskin. In fact I can't believe I'm saying it, but... this material is nicer than real leather!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #2,538 of 2,667
I think how one perceives the MDR-1A may be related to other headphones that they are currently be listening to, the level that one listens to, genre of choice and supporting gear used. If I listen to my TH-600 for a period and then use the MDR-1A it doesn't sound bass heavy or with recessed mids but if I listen to my HD650 and go to the MDR-1A it seems to have recessed mids and bass that is more bloated than the HD650, its even more of a shock if I go from HE560 to MDR-1A where the MDR-1A will appear to have bloated/flabby bass, very recessed mids and treble that is a bit harsh compared to the HE560.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,539 of 2,667
I think how one perceives the MDR-1A may be related to other headphones that they are currently be listening to, the level that one listens to, genre of choice and supporting gear used. If I listen to my TH-600 for a period and then use the MDR-1A it doesn't sound bass heavy or with recessed mids but if I listen to my HD650 and go to the MDR-1A it seems to have recessed mids and bass that is more bloated than the HD650, its even more of a shock if I go from HE560 to MDR-1A where the MDR-1A will appear to have bloated/flabby bass, very recessed mids and treble that is a bit harsh compared to the HE560.

+1

For most of us, whatever someone's dominant, goto headphone (or speaker setup) is that they spend the most time with, that often influences how they hear other headphones.

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,540 of 2,667
It's a matter of taste. To me, the Sennheiser HD598SC had a very thin sound in the lower mids to true mids. The high mids, and highs were more pronounced. The sub bass was amazing, I will give them that, but no better than the Sony, though the mid bass was a touch cleaner on that Senn. With the MSR7 pads, the sound of the Sony gets closer to that general tonality. A bit more high end detail and high mids, slightly cleaner low mids, same great sub bass. Also more spacious sound, even surpassing the Senn. They are, to me equally comfortable as stock pads. Not quite as soft or cushy, but that prevents sinking in the pads causing my fairly flat ears to touch the grill. The more space those MSR7 pads provide actually seems to be what improves the spaciousness. The extra roomy space actually makes them less sweaty and more comfortable in their own unique way, I'd found.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,541 of 2,667
So, I got these headphones now and they sound amazing. Only problem, the pads are so soft that my ears are actually getting pushed against the plastic. It's really uncomfortable.

Does anyone know any good replacement pads that are A LITTLE BIT stiffer?

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,542 of 2,667
Does anyone know any good replacement pads that are A LITTLE BIT stiffer?

The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads. Go on EBay - and a few places in America may still have them for less than $10 or from China for about, $15 with postage. You just carefully snap the old pads off the cups, and then these wrap around the outside (you don't need the plastic snap thing). They fit perfect, look better, and they're a bit more firm so they don't compress as much so my ears don't touch the drivers. The bass doesn't get reduced as some pads do and sound gets a bit more spacious. Here is a link to a post with pictures - and a pad comparison: https://head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-1a-sonys-latest-update-on-the-1r.733489/page-168#post-13849173

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,543 of 2,667
How about the comfort of MSR7 pads, are these causing your ears hot sooner than stock ones? Stock 1A pads are extremely comfortable to me (thankfully no driver touching), but I'm thinking of getting these for cheap in case stock ones worn out, which I've heard are crazy expensive.

1As are indeed very nice pair of headphones, their relaxed sound reminds me of HD650, with much better treble. Love the fact 1A provides actual sub bass! Deifnetly not bloated, just emphasised bass but not to the basshead level, otherwise I woulnd't stand it.

The only thing that is really better in HD598Cs is the "holofying" spacial awereness feeling, as well as more defined bass. Other than that 1A is more universal can suitable for most genres, and movies. Above all love the fact I don't need to take them off after 1hr+ like I have to do with Cs and every other closed can I've tried. 1A can be worn all day long with no fatigue.

For people accustumed to Sennheiser house sound (which generally is ever so slighlty emphasised bass, forward mids and a bit rolled off treble) 1A may sound mids recessed at first, but the impression is gone once you stop listening to sennheisers for some time. In fact thanks to 1A I realised how I was addicted to forward mids, which now I'm starting to think was maybe not so good after all. Those forward mids in many senn cans can be fatiguing almost as equally as piercing treble in some beyerdynymics.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #2,547 of 2,667
Yeah the source is actually very important with 1A. I experienced bass bloat with my office realtek integrated DAC, which is on the warmer/bassier side of things. On the other hand with my iPod no bass bloat at all and much better soundstage. For best results must pair them with neutral/cold dacs.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,548 of 2,667
Bass bloat is easily fixable by doing minor EQ. Decresed midbas by 2-5db (+ upping highs a bit) in all of my setups and now I hear perfectly controlled tight punchy bass wthout any bass bloom. No longer wish to go back to uncomfortable B&O H6 :p

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,549 of 2,667
I got mine back in 2016 and have used them with various amp/dac sources. The bass was a bloated but since has settled down a bit.

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,550 of 2,667
I recently put on pads I bought directly from Meze, designed for their 99 Classic / Neo (latest generation larger pads) for $20. Now there are three options. Stock sound, with your ears touching the drivers. The MSR7 sound, which has a bit more clarity, less mid bass, same sub bass, and mids are better but still a touch recessed. The Meze pad sound, which has more sub bass, more mid bass, fairly good lower mids, and much more true mids (500 to 2 kHz) giving these a solid "W" shaped response, those mids are flat - to a touch boosted. Same slightly bright highs so that proves it is possible to have a lot of bass, a lot of mids, and a lot of highs. Ears don't touch drivers too. Very hard to get on, and not quite as soft, but they are my current preference for this set. I'd gotten these to be my go to portable, or for times I want substantial bass and they do that even more now. The elimination of the recessed mids is a big deal, really a game-changer for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back