Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Mar 2, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,566 of 2,667
@Kamen555, check a few pages back since there are alternatives to the stock Sony ear pads which might be more comfortable and cheaper. IIRC they were MSR7 ear pads but I could be wrong
You are correct. They also give the ear more space and breathing room. They reduce the mid bass a touch, make the mids a little more distant, and increase their sound stage. I ended up settling on Meze 99 pads (direct from their website) that were a happy middle. Similar mid bass as stock - more sub bass, fuller mids, and great treble detail. They are less spacious on the inside vs. the MSR7 pads so they could actually cause more head build up if you live in a hot and humid climate. The Meze pads are $20 and the MSR7 pads $10-$15 on EBay so not bad.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,568 of 2,667
I got mine at half price from Newegg. Amazingly great headphones with good bass, great comfort, Wonderful portability, and snappy looks. Way Way Way outstrips the (boring to me) NAD Visio hp 50 (I realize, not really a fair statement, as the hp50 has a flat reference signature, while the Sony has a fun signature.). Had them two days so far.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,569 of 2,667
Recently got a hold of a pair of these for what I thought was a bargain. Sad to say, i'm pretty underwhelmed by them. To my ears the sub bass is non-existent, the mid bass bump makes most music genres sound muddy and there's just no excitement in the treble. I'm powering them with an OPPO HA-2 amplifier, so it's not as if they're being under powered. My M50x headphones blow these away in the sound quality department.

They do have good upper midrange however which works well with acoustic, ambient and vocal focused sounds, but they're very genre specific. They're also easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever worn which makes them handy for audiobooks when I just want to drift off. I'm just glad I didn't pay any more for them than I did, as I don't believe they are worth the standard market price.

Overall, not really all that impressed with the sound signature.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #2,570 of 2,667
Recently got a hold of a pair of these for what I thought was a bargain. Sad to say, i'm pretty underwhelmed by them. To my ears the sub bass is non-existent, the mid bass bump makes most music genres sound muddy and there's just no excitement in the treble. I'm powering them with an OPPO HA-2 amplifier, so it's not as if they're being under powered. My M50x headphones blow these away in the sound quality department.

They do have good upper midrange however which works well with acoustic, ambient and vocal focused sounds, but they're very genre specific. They're also easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever worn which makes them handy for audiobooks when I just want to drift off. I'm just glad I didn't pay any more for them than I did, as I don't believe they are worth the standard market price.

Overall, not really all that impressed with the sound signature.
If you think the M50x "blows away" the MDR-1A then I'd say the MDR-1A you have is either defective or might be a counterfeit. My MDR-1A was muddy in the bass until I modded it but I've never heard anyone say they have no sub-bass, if anything the M50x has less sub-bass IMO. I'm currently using a Modi2uber + Asgard2 in the bedroom where my M50x, MDR-1A and a few other headphones reside but even on my Fiio X3 the M50x can't touch the MDR-1A in terms of bass and treble extension, clarity and details, instrument separation and even sound stage.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #2,572 of 2,667
If you think the M50x "blows away" the MDR-1A then I'd say the MDR-1A you have is either defective or might be a counterfeit. My MDR-1A was muddy in the bass until I modded it but I've never heard anyone say they have no sub-bass, if anything the M50x has less sub-bass IMO. I'm currently using a Modi2uber + Asgard2 in the bedroom where my M50x, MDR-1A and a few other headphones reside but even on my Fiio X3 the M50x can't touch the MDR-1A in terms of bass and treble extension, clarity and details, instrument separation and even sound stage.

They're certainly not counterfeit. The build quality and comfort live up to expectations. The Sub-Bass is there, but only if I turn the headphones up to a level where the saturation in the higher mids becomes unbearable. I can listen to the M50x louder without this problem, so perhaps that's why I experience better sub-bass from them. I tried tweaking the sub bass levels through equalization, but the Sony's don't seem to respond well to this. It just leaves everything sounding flabby, rather than giving any genuine presence to the subs.

I'm still using the original pads, so perhaps it would be worth trying out the MSR7 mod. It's just a little disappointing feeling the need to make a modification to a headphone that retails at the price it does.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #2,574 of 2,667
They're certainly not counterfeit. The build quality and comfort live up to expectations. The Sub-Bass is there, but only if I turn the headphones up to a level where the saturation in the higher mids becomes unbearable. I can listen to the M50x louder without this problem, so perhaps that's why I experience better sub-bass from them. I tried tweaking the sub bass levels through equalization, but the Sony's don't seem to respond well to this. It just leaves everything sounding flabby, rather than giving any genuine presence to the subs.

I'm still using the original pads, so perhaps it would be worth trying out the MSR7 mod. It's just a little disappointing feeling the need to make a modification to a headphone that retails at the price it does.
After reading your post I went back to listen to my MDR-1A, M50x and a few other headphones that I figured would be within the ball park (TH-600 and HD700) to try to understand what you are hearing/saying. I can see where the mids/upper mids of the MDR-1A can become a problem for some since its not recessed like on the M50x and also much more extended so when you start to play it louder it may/will become a bit much. I've never had this issue since I listen at lower levels (55-70dB), found that the bass of the MDR-1A was too much and muddy in its stock form so I added dynamat in the cups and medical tape on the back of the drivers, and the genres (classic rock, rock, r&b, pop) that I normally listen to on the MDR-1A needs to have a nice bass line so it a good match. Another reason you can listen with the M50x at a higher level is the highs are rolled off a bit unlike the MDR-1A which is not rolled off so it has more energy and sparkle in the highs which will get harsh / sibilant if played too loud.

The M50x doesn't really have much / any sub-bass IMO, its mostly bass / mid bass and its easy to notice this when compared to headphones that have decent sub-bass like HE400, LCD-2, EL-8 and TH-600.

Here's a picture of what I used to listen:
MDR-1A - M50x compare-2.jpg
bottom to top: M50x, MDR-1A, TH-600, HD700 (on stand)

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,575 of 2,667
Also, does the standard 1As accept balanced connection with just a cable swap?
My 1A’s only have cable going into the left earpiece. A hidden internal wire must run through the headband to get the sound to the right earpiece, and there’s is no connector on the right. Hence, making them balanced would require some surgery.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,576 of 2,667
Mar 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,578 of 2,667
I'm still using the original pads, so perhaps it would be worth trying out the MSR7 mod.
Sub bass is subjective, no pun intended. I tend to go by tested levels. I have specific tracks, one in particular called "Weekend" by Kelis, (where about one minute into that, and at various other times, she does this break where she says "boom boom" along with an 808 low tom sub bass boom. The first round are audible in most headphones as the energy is in the 30-40 hz region. The lower note that kicks in later will really reveal sub bass quality. I have it in my iPhone with other test tracks (that highlight bass, mids, treble, or staging, to evaluate headphones, and an iPhone 5S DAC is one of the best in cell phones). Both the ATH-M50X and Sony MDR-1A stock pass this test brilliantly. The highs are too aggressive on the ATH-M50X, causing the mids to seem recessed. As stock they are uncomfortable, and almost every pad swap reduces bass and increases treble. The Sony MDR-1A has less aggression in the highs, but has some higher mids that could be troubling. The ATH-MSR7 ear pads make them fit much better, and it seems they increase treble detail, do little to the high mids, and reduce the mid bass while keeping most of the sub bass. So the sound is a little colder, but more detailed and spacious.

The Meze 99 pads ($20, direct from their site) are the best. Like others, they wrap around the outside of the cup, you can't click them in place. They fit very tight on the cup, take your time putting them on and then also make sure you push in any area the inner plastic ring on the pads project beyond the foam, so they are properly aligned. You'll understand when putting them on. At first they are firmer than stock, but soften up nicely with body heat and use. They're more spacious and comfort is great with time. The treble is more detailed and spacious, that high mid peak is mostly reduced and the true mids (500 hz to 2 khz) are slightly elevated to where they should be, making them warmer. They'll also keep the mid bass, which some find bloated in stock, but they offset that by increasing their low sub bass levels. As a result you can listen more quietly since the mids don't vanish and the treble and low bass have enough energy so you don't lose those when listening quietly. Light weight - comfort, they excel for long term low level listening while I'm mixing, as an alternative to the studio monitors and custom subwoofer that I prefer to mix on. This will help preserve your hearing, whether mixing or just listening.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,579 of 2,667
I've been given them more of a listen. Although I still find the higher mids a little grating at higher volume levels, I think my ears are becoming more accustomed to the overall sound signature. To be honest, I never really considered the midrange in the M50's to be all that recessed. I did however change the pads on them a while back due to wear and tear on the originals. This was quite a while before I received the 1A's. The pads are slightly thicker than the originals and i'm sure at the time when I changed them over, I noticed a slight lift in the mid range and a slight drop on the mid bass. So perhaps if I still had the original pads for the M50x and did a direct comparison to the 1A's I would notice more of a recession.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #2,580 of 2,667
I've been given them more of a listen. Although I still find the higher mids a little grating at higher volume levels, I think my ears are becoming more accustomed to the overall sound signature. To be honest, I never really considered the midrange in the M50's to be all that recessed. I did however change the pads on them a while back due to wear and tear on the originals. This was quite a while before I received the 1A's. The pads are slightly thicker than the originals and i'm sure at the time when I changed them over, I noticed a slight lift in the mid range and a slight drop on the mid bass. So perhaps if I still had the original pads for the M50x and did a direct comparison to the 1A's I would notice more of a recession.
The pads will make a difference in sound, I had to put back the original pads on the M50x to do a fair comparison to the MDR-1A since I hate the stock pads of the M50x and only use them with Shure velour pads or the MassDrop one that I currently use. Changing the pads on the M50x is something you might want to consider since the velour pads help the M50x by bringing up the mids a touch so its more inline with the bass and treble to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back