Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,656 of 2,667
Hey everyone. I've been wondering about this for some time, is there a difference in sound when comparing the 2 cables that came with the 1A (the one with the remote and the one without)? I tried testing both and I can't tell if there's a difference or not.

Feb 2, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #2,657 of 2,667
Hey everyone. I've been wondering about this for some time, is there a difference in sound when comparing the 2 cables that came with the 1A (the one with the remote and the one without)? I tried testing both and I can't tell if there's a difference or not.
Didn't notice any difference between my pair

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,658 of 2,667
First time venturing into the headphone game, was deciding between these or the z7 mk1 but the price gap was just too much for my first decent pair of cans. Up till now the most expensive ive ever spent on cans were $60 (beyerdynamic dtx710), they were pretty good but unfortunately it developed a driver imbalance a few months back.

Now I'm not really all that new to this hobby as I've already found my endgame in the IEM dept. (Empire ears zeus xiv) but with regards to cans its still uncharted territories for me. If not or a friend of mine whose been nagging me to go the headphone route i would've never even thought of headphones as a possible purchase.

To be frank with you guys when i first heard these i was pretty disappointed. Bass was just everywhere mids were pushed was too back and treble was sizzling. I couldnt stand them for more than 5 minutes and due to my busy schedule, I just left them at home untouched. 3 days later, when my schedule finally eased up i picked them up again and i dont know what happened but they sound wonderfully now (idk if it was my brain finally adjusting to the signature or if it was due to the fact that i havent been listening to anything for the past few days). Although the bass is as ever present as it was a few days ago, the treble is much easier to listen to. Soundstage isn't as wide as i want it to. Imaging was a mixed bag since you have to sit inside a quiet room to appreciate it. Clarity is well far better than my beyers as for detail retrieval well its underwhelming tbh.

After 2 days of listening to it non stop ive come to the conclusion that, first, due to its signature, its better to be listened at low volumes and second, its much better for laid back easy listening rather than critical listening.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,659 of 2,667
I tried prehistoric Fiio E11. Then fresh Topping NX4 DSD. And I put IEMs to shelf. Now I think any amp is must for these cans. Any beginner amp close to Fiio E11 will work as charm.

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #2,660 of 2,667
Do not be misguided by low impedance. Cans seem to be pretty naughty in case of load and current. There's no way to have promised performance using mass-market sources alone. However, if you plug 'em into source delivering hi-fi output current and voltage, you can have really impressive sound.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #2,661 of 2,667
20191121_100707.jpg
20191121_100712.jpg
If only sony didnt screw up the 8k range of these cans. These would have been far more viable of a purchase.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #2,662 of 2,667
Will I see any benefit buying a schiit modi 3 and magni Heresy for use with my Sony MDR-1A. I currently run them straight from my laptop (Around 90% volume since the highs hurt my ears at 100% for long uses) and was wondering if i would see any improvement. I do plan on trying other headphones in the future so I think it would be a worthwhile investment.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #2,663 of 2,667
Will I see any benefit buying a schiit modi 3 and magni Heresy for use with my Sony MDR-1A. I currently run them straight from my laptop (Around 90% volume since the highs hurt my ears at 100% for long uses) and was wondering if i would see any improvement. I do plan on trying other headphones in the future so I think it would be a worthwhile investment.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.
If you're listening to the 1A straight from your laptop and you're listening at 90%, your laptop dac/amp may not be very good as I recall the 1A being pretty efficient for portable use.

That being said, I think you may notice a *slight* improvement moving to a Schiit stack and would be beneficial when you use other less efficient headphones in the future.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,664 of 2,667
Recently I had to replace my earcussions on the 1A and upgraded to some bigger ones than the original. It distorted the sound quite a bit so I have to order some new ones.
I the meantime I am listening with my IEMs and 1000Xm2 for on the road. I was thinking about an upgrade for the 1A.
What I like about the 1A is the instrumental side of the sound(soundstage?), bass can be to loud from time to time but not too disturbing.

I saw some options like;
Sony MDR-1Am2 (More bass than the old one??)
Sennheiser HD600, 650, 660...
Philips Fidelio X2, X2HR, X3,...
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Etc...
I like it to be over-ear phones and I will only listen to it from home on my Fiio M11 Pro.

I listen to edm , rap, pop, classic rock (80s, 90s, 00s) and classical music (piano mainly).

Any advice?

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,665 of 2,667
Always enjoyed my 1A's but the ear cups were always just slightly too small for my ears. I enjoyed the sound but couldn't take it. So I switched, initially I switched to Sennheiser Momentum 2's and very much enjoyed the sound. The ear cups are a lot bigger than the Momentum 1's. Those were torture quite honestly.

I had always wanted the Sennheiser HD58X's when they initially came out. I was in that first batch but backed out due to the long wait and I had other things going on. Last Christmas I went ahead of got them for a great price. I haven't touched my Momentum 2's since then. I really enjoy them, they are my main cans and have been since then.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,666 of 2,667
Okay so this is a weird predicament so please bear with me here. I've had my mdr 1a for roughly 3 years now and never once did i really appreciate its technicalities and tuning. For the most part I've only ever plugged them to my laptop for consuming media but on occassions I would plug them to my wm1a via SE. I've been listening to them more lately due to the advent of the fw mods but again I've never really enjoyed them for their technicalities but rather for the comfort and ease of use.

A few days ago while looking at possible upgrades for the mdr 1a's I decided to try and mod my pair (nothing serious really, just put an extra later of material in front of the driver to dampen the peaky treble). The mod worked wonders for about a day or so after that I started noticing it's odd tonality; quite veiled and really just too bassy so i decided to take the inserts i installed and tried to experiment more but ultimately i found the stock tuning to be the most coherent sounding.

Now this is where the weirdness starts. After foregoing the mods altogether, i opened up the cups to see if I could measure it for when i get my hands on some dampening foams (dynamat mod) i noticed that there was a stuck wire inside (it was squished but it was still working) got it unstuck and i assembled the headphones back. Gave it a listen and instantly said to myself "What? Why is there soundstage now, and the imaging is actually decent on these" (there were some cases before when I gave them a listen and was amazed at how lush they sounded but never really commented on its staging and imaging since it was never there ever since i bought it). Vocals stayed the same, peaky.

TLDR: tried modding the cans but decided to undo the mods and instead got a pretty good upgrade to listening with stock instead.

Thanks for taking the time and reading my weird experience lol have a nice day (or night)!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #2,667 of 2,667
Hello, I have a problem on my MDR-1A, the sound work only out of one driver (it's seems that it dont come from the jack cable, i tested it on other things stereo is working)

But if i don't put the whole jack cable in my headphones and i turn a little bit there seems to be a contact problem, i can make the two drivers work again.... So the driver is not dead its apparently the jack input isn'it ? How to repair the jack input? Do you have any tips and did that already happened to someone here ?

I would not throw it away I like my MDR-1A...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back