Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,521 of 2,667
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #2,525 of 2,667
Here in the UK, they strangle every last penny out of you. I hate it when we get an email telling us that a parcel needs to have tax paid and is waiting to be delivered.
That's so messed up. Sitting and waiting but they send you an e-mail for more money before they will even deliver to you? Sounds like extortion to me.

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #2,527 of 2,667
That's so messed up. Sitting and waiting but they send you an e-mail for more money before they will even deliver to you? Sounds like extortion to me.

It is a pain. That means that we pay US taxes on goods bought because they aren't sold to foreigners without the tax and then we pay a further UK tax on the way in. The goods are held in a customs place until the amount asked for is paid. It's very annoying tbh.

So it's two lots of taxes for us unless it slips through which does sometimes happen.

It's the same with Massdrop where postage can be higher on top of the item as well as the UK import tax.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,528 of 2,667
Got my 1As! Just opened the box and listening right now! Is it normal that material protecting the drivers isn't stiff?
One more question about the sound - how much time they need to fully burn-in?

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,530 of 2,667
Got my 1As! Just opened the box and listening right now! Is it normal that material protecting the drivers isn't stiff?
One more question about the sound - how much time they need to fully burn-in?
Material protecting the drivers is just a piece of cloth and I didn't notice and change in sound from out of the box to a few hundred hours of use. As @FastAndClean noted the bass is not tight and textured and will not get better with "burn-in" but you can mod them to get decent tight detailed bass.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #2,531 of 2,667
I know it's a cloth, I just think it should be more streched, right now it's like theres too much of it, and because of that my ears are definetly thouching it. It's such a delicate material my ears don't feel it, otherwise it would be a big problem. Thankfully my unit doesn't squek at all. Comfort is on a very high level with 1A, love the fact there's no clamping force, yet they somewhat stay strong. There's a wind noise through the holes even when walking at home, but it doesn't bother me since I'll be using them mostly indoors.
To me bass isn't overwhelming nor it is overshadowing any frequencies, so probably won't be doing any mods. I hope over time it will mellow down a little, especially subbass. Overall bass is better than 598SR and worse than 598CS, which although less in quantity is more textured, crunchy and better controlled. As of yet I haven't sensed much spacial awereness or soundstage, but maybe in time I will. I've listened to them for only 6hrs and so far 1A sounds like the most universal headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,532 of 2,667
I know it's a cloth, I just think it should be more streched, right now it's like theres too much of it, and because of that my ears are definetly thouching it. It's such a delicate material my ears don't feel it, otherwise it would be a big problem. Thankfully my unit doesn't squek at all. Comfort is on a very high level with 1A, love the fact there's no clamping force, yet they somewhat stay strong. There's a wind noise through the holes even when walking at home, but it doesn't bother me since I'll be using them mostly indoors.
To me bass isn't overwhelming nor it is overshadowing any frequencies, so probably won't be doing any mods. I hope over time it will mellow down a little, especially subbass. Overall bass is better than 598SR and worse than 598CS, which although less in quantity is more textured, crunchy and better controlled. As of yet I haven't sensed much spacial awereness or soundstage, but maybe in time I will. I've listened to them for only 6hrs and so far 1A sounds like the most universal headphone.
If you love the bass as is don't mod them but for me on my gear the bass overwhelmed the mids so I decided to do the dynamat mod first and then the medical tape mod later which for me make the MRD-1A really fun sounding but with controlled detailed bass and a nice balance to the bass, mids and highs. I had a HD598 a long time ago but for me they were a bit thin sounding and once I heard my SR225e with a few mods and the larger G-pads I gave them an old GF who loves it from her mac book pro.

I just checked the cloth in my ear pads and they sit flat against the driver so you might want to remove the pads and see if you can remove some of the slack which might be why mine are tightly stretched since I've removed the ear pads a few times to do the mods but I can't remember if I did anything to the grill cloth.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,534 of 2,667
Below is the grill-cloth on my unit. Should this concern me? I thought it's impossible to remove pads, so maybe I'll try, but first gotta find tutorial how to do it without damaging something :wink:

JuyFGFp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back