Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,581 of 2,667
Here's a picture of what I used to listen: [ATTACH said:
2464032[/ATTACH]
bottom to top: M50x, MDR-1A, TH-600, HD700 (on stand)

Hi DavidA, I hope you do not mind this little OT of mine... Just to tell you that the foam grills of the wonderful Rauna Tyr are still available on demand directly from Rauna. I had mines replaced 1 year ago :wink:

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,582 of 2,667
@Mojo65, thanks for the tip about the foam grills for the Rauna Tyr but I've lived without the grills for the past 15 years so I'm good. I did look into getting the grills way back then but I think they were priced at $100 and since I used to have a sun conure that chewed up the grills in the first place I figured to wait but over the years I've grown to like the industrial look, LOL.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,583 of 2,667
Hi guys,

I popped on Amazon today and noticed these are currently selling for $150 and I'm quite tempted to just buy them...I previously had the M50x, but they became to uncomfortable for me, so I'm currently using the DT 770 Pro 32 ohm. Had them about a month but I'm not liking the treble peaks. I was hoping to get used to it but after a month I'm still annoyed by it. Shame too because aside from sibilance that is too prominent they're a great headphone :frowning2: I also think I prefer a slightly warmer sound signature. These things can be pretty cold.

Should I do it? I don't know if it's a sale or the price just went down. There are some things that concern me, like the isolation issue with bass ports, the bass being too loose and muddy, and treble can still be a bit harsh on the 1A, that I've read. I'm also considering the Meze 99 Neo, which cost about $50 more right now. Maybe even the MSR7, probably not very warm but I bet not as bright or sibilant as the 770. So I'm sure which one I should go for...

I'd be running off my iPhone and MacBook.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #2,585 of 2,667
Consider a Takstar Pro 82. Basically a clone type headphone, similar to the Sony, but no bass bloat on the two lower bass settings and sounds possibly better than the MDR1a.
For portable use, Sony is probably a better choice as its not a bright headphone like Takstar. But for home use, if one needs a super comfortable closed back, Takstar can't be beat and its also cheap. Takstar also has two color choices, and comes in a suitcase.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #2,586 of 2,667
Do you find the Takstar bright? I find it quite sparkly by comparison and often use it out and about. You can also dial up more bass which does actually turn it a bit flabby in the bass but useful if you’re in a noisy place.

I was surprised how good it is for the price. Didn’t expect much but got a pleasant surprise.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2,587 of 2,667
I don't know if it's a sale or the price just went down. There are some things that concern me, like the isolation issue with bass ports
The MDR-1A sounds better and slightly less harsh than the Takstar Pro 82 at any setting. Definitely not as scooped as the Beyer 770. Not as warm as the Meze 99. The earpads are a bit small and that's where most discomfort is. Going to the Meze 99 pads ($20 direct) keeps a similar sound signature, maybe a little more midrange, and definitely more sub bass, without muddying up the mids remarkably. Those who ears that stick out farther may find they still don't have enough space. The Audio Technica MSR7 pads ($15 EBay) will give more space, slightly less bass and a bit more brightness. Then the next step if those aren't spacious enough is the Brainwavz HM5 pads, but they seem a little too big looking on them and probably cut the bass even more due to its thickness and distance from the driver. Meze 99 Neo stock have warmer highs, a bit more true mids (not scooped at all, very lifelike and 3D there) and a fuller low midrange, that can be a bit much occasionally, but mostly works. The mid bass seems slightly more present than the Sony with Meze pads (my favorite option) and the sub bass is excellent, not as much as the Sony, but the Sony with Meze pads does sub bass like no other phones.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,588 of 2,667
Do you find the Takstar bright? I find it quite sparkly by comparison and often use it out and about. You can also dial up more bass which does actually turn it a bit flabby in the bass but useful if you’re in a noisy place.

I was surprised how good it is for the price. Didn’t expect much but got a pleasant surprise.
A bit bright which i did not like. But other bright cans like pro900i and a990z i enjoy a lot. So its likely the Takstar is boosted in a frequency i dont find pleasing

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #2,589 of 2,667
The MDR-1A sounds better and slightly less harsh than the Takstar Pro 82 at any setting. Definitely not as scooped as the Beyer 770. Not as warm as the Meze 99. The earpads are a bit small and that's where most discomfort is. Going to the Meze 99 pads ($20 direct) keeps a similar sound signature, maybe a little more midrange, and definitely more sub bass, without muddying up the mids remarkably. Those who ears that stick out farther may find they still don't have enough space. The Audio Technica MSR7 pads ($15 EBay) will give more space, slightly less bass and a bit more brightness. Then the next step if those aren't spacious enough is the Brainwavz HM5 pads, but they seem a little too big looking on them and probably cut the bass even more due to its thickness and distance from the driver. Meze 99 Neo stock have warmer highs, a bit more true mids (not scooped at all, very lifelike and 3D there) and a fuller low midrange, that can be a bit much occasionally, but mostly works. The mid bass seems slightly more present than the Sony with Meze pads (my favorite option) and the sub bass is excellent, not as much as the Sony, but the Sony with Meze pads does sub bass like no other phones.
Without changing pads, which headphone has the cleaner mid bass? Can anyone chime in on that? Sound like Meze has more mid bass, but not as sloppy/muddy.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2,590 of 2,667
Without changing pads, which headphone has the cleaner mid bass? Can anyone chime in on that? Sound like Meze has more mid bass, but not as sloppy/muddy.
If you want a real treat, and hard to believe at the price, the on ear Philips Fidelio M1 MKII is an absolute gem as a portable. I think it may be the best bang for the dollar purchase I have made in many years. I can see why it was awarded a What's Hi FI portable of the year award in 2016 I believe. I didn't expect much, but I am very glad that I took the chance. I owned the MDR 1A as well and while it was a few years back now and I can't compare them, and while I very much liked the Sony, I do think I prefer the M1 MKII. Very dynamic, well extended and controlled bass, very tuneful, love the treble and the midrange seems just bang on. Again, this is in the context of a true portable where bass is typically elevated, but it is very well done and the signature overall just sounds right.

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,591 of 2,667
The mid bass on the stock MDR-1A and Meze 99 are similar, both boosted. Their subs are similar. They differ in a more dense low mids to true mids on the Meze, where the Sonys seem flatter. The high mids and highs are a little more pronounced on the MDR-1A, but not by too much. The Meze pads added comfort, spaciousness, cleaned up mid bass, and really raised the low subs. If you wanta clean mid bass, on the Meze, with a bit less subs, put Audio Technica MSR7 pads on them. The MSR7 pads will clean up the mid bass on the Sony as well, but seem to make them a bit brighter in the treble.

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,592 of 2,667
The mid bass on the stock MDR-1A and Meze 99 are similar, both boosted. Their subs are similar. They differ in a more dense low mids to true mids on the Meze, where the Sonys seem flatter. The high mids and highs are a little more pronounced on the MDR-1A, but not by too much. The Meze pads added comfort, spaciousness, cleaned up mid bass, and really raised the low subs. If you wanta clean mid bass, on the Meze, with a bit less subs, put Audio Technica MSR7 pads on them. The MSR7 pads will clean up the mid bass on the Sony as well, but seem to make them a bit brighter in the treble.
Thanks! I'm not too interested in pad modification and would prefer to leave the headphones as they are intended to sound wise. Which would you say has the better soundstage?

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #2,593 of 2,667
Hi guys,

I popped on Amazon today and noticed these are currently selling for $150 and I'm quite tempted to just buy them...I previously had the M50x, but they became to uncomfortable for me, so I'm currently using the DT 770 Pro 32 ohm. Had them about a month but I'm not liking the treble peaks. I was hoping to get used to it but after a month I'm still annoyed by it. Shame too because aside from sibilance that is too prominent they're a great headphone :frowning2: I also think I prefer a slightly warmer sound signature. These things can be pretty cold.

Should I do it? I don't know if it's a sale or the price just went down. There are some things that concern me, like the isolation issue with bass ports, the bass being too loose and muddy, and treble can still be a bit harsh on the 1A, that I've read. I'm also considering the Meze 99 Neo, which cost about $50 more right now. Maybe even the MSR7, probably not very warm but I bet not as bright or sibilant as the 770. So I'm sure which one I should go for...

I'd be running off my iPhone and MacBook.
While I have the MDR-1A, its been modded with dynamat and medical tape which makes it quite good but for me the ear pads get hot quickly here in Hawaii due to the high humidity.

My M50x has Shure SRH-1840 ear pads on them which make them really comfortable, couldn't stand the stock ear pads, really uncomfortable for me.

If it doesn't have to be a closed back then I'd take a look at HD6XX ($200), HD58X ($150), HE400i ($200).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #2,594 of 2,667
While I have the MDR-1A, its been modded with dynamat and medical tape which makes it quite good but for me the ear pads get hot quickly here in Hawaii due to the high humidity.

My M50x has Shure SRH-1840 ear pads on them which make them really comfortable, couldn't stand the stock ear pads, really uncomfortable for me.

If it doesn't have to be a closed back then I'd take a look at HD6XX ($200), HD58X ($150), HE400i ($200).
It would have to be closed back unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back