SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #14,746 of 15,328
In fact I don't consider Z1R 'bass heavy' in the same way as say an Xe6 or LX is bass heavy
Agreed. People should really stop recommending Z1R to bassheads. The quality is top tier but the quantity won't satisfy them.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #14,747 of 15,328
Agreed. People should really stop recommending Z1R to bassheads. The quality is top tier but the quantity won't satisfy them.
As a basshead, quality is just as important to me as quantity. In fact, too much quantity is off-putting. Maybe I'm not a true basshead...though I identify as one for sure. :sweat_smile:

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #14,748 of 15,328
All these tips are size large from L to R Sony EP-EX10A, Spiral Dots, Final E’s, SpinFit CP 145 and Coreir 👍

5_Tips.jpg

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #14,749 of 15,328
That's refreshing to hear. From most reviews that i've been through, I thought these were bass cannons and that always seemed a bit off for such a flagship product.

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #14,750 of 15,328
What are your impressions? Is it really an end game keeper like most people say? I'm seriously considering one.
well after 24 hours with these and the Volur including some A/B'ing at least to my humble ears, these are a great set of IEM's. I'm not a bass head but good bass is important to me. A good quantity with great quality. I will avoid any all BA IEM because I know a good DD for bass will always be better to me, if they are both created with the same care.
Overall though these are fantastic so far. For some male vocal driven songs I prefer the Volur's more forward mids but for other tracks the Z1R's are also amazing.

Have listed to electronic, a lot of my beat driven indie pop & r&b fusion type tracks with lots of electronic influence and plenty of vocals, jazz, and now tackling some classic rock.

They fit fine on me, they are a bit heavy but not too bad.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #14,751 of 15,328
well after 24 hours with these and the Volur including some A/B'ing at least to my humble ears, these are a great set of IEM's. I'm not a bass head but good bass is important to me. A good quantity with great quality. I will avoid any all BA IEM because I know a good DD for bass will always be better to me, if they are both created with the same care.
Overall though these are fantastic so far. For some male vocal driven songs I prefer the Volur's more forward mids but for other tracks the Z1R's are also amazing.

Have listed to electronic, a lot of my beat driven indie pop & r&b fusion type tracks with lots of electronic influence and plenty of vocals, jazz, and now tackling some classic rock.

They fit fine on me, they are a bit heavy but not too bad.
Thanks a lot for your insights. I'm glad they're not bass heavy, I always thought they were. I'm also not a basshead but a good quality bass is definitely crucial to make any music feel lively.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #14,752 of 15,328
Thanks a lot for your insights. I'm glad they're not bass heavy, I always thought they were. I'm also not a basshead but a good quality bass is definitely crucial to make any music feel lively.

I had the Empire Ear Bravado MkII, those were basshead IEM's - they were too much for me.

I think some people would think the Z1R are basshead earphones, especially people who think BA bass is superb, and don't forget, people loved the etymotics for being 'accurate', so to them the Z1R would be like bass canons. It's all so subjective. I find the Z1R bass to just be really good. Yes very present but very good quality. it doesn't take over the presentation to my ears, it enhances it.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #14,753 of 15,328
people loved the etymotics for being 'accurate'
I am glad the community moved on from this mass hysteria episode.

The XR series are great though.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #14,754 of 15,328
I am glad the community moved on from this mass hysteria episode.

The XR series are great though.
I loved my ER4, they were my first iem in the late 90’s and I used them for the next about 10 years

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #14,755 of 15,328
IMO the bass on these is very close to perfect, and are not for bassheads at all. Sure it can be big when it needs to be, but never overstays its welcome. I’d argue the XBA-Z5 were more basshead IEM than these by a long shot.
And also the dip in the mids is not as pronounced as we (owners of the IER-Z1R) make it sound to be.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #14,756 of 15,328
IMO the bass on these is very close to perfect, and are not for bassheads at all. Sure it can be big when it needs to be, but never overstays its welcome. I’d argue the XBA-Z5 were more basshead IEM than these by a long shot.
And also the dip in the mids is not as pronounced as we (owners of the IER-Z1R) make it sound to be.
When driven by a bad source, the bass on the Z1R can be horrible and overpowering... i must either figure how to use maxx audio waves on my dell laptop or use my DMP as an usb dac

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #14,757 of 15,328
When driven by a bad source, the bass on the Z1R can be horrible and overpowering... i must either figure how to use maxx audio waves on my dell laptop or use my DMP as an usb dac
Yes. If you pair them with an overtly warm source then you’re just going to have a bass fest and nothing else. Of course, if that’s what you’re after then great!

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #14,759 of 15,328
Z1R for bassheads is still a misconception till this day, mostly because they are in every video on youtube when you search for best iem bass. I have the Z5 too, to my ears they have just a little bit more quantity but still far from a basshead type of bass imo.

Nov 23, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #14,760 of 15,328
Z1R for bassheads is still a misconception till this day, mostly because they are in every video on youtube when you search for best iem bass. I have the Z5 too, to my ears they have just a little bit more quantity but still far from a basshead type of bass imo.
There's a difference between quality bass and quantity. Z1R has enough quantity to satisfy, but it's definitely not a boombox for bass lovers. Bass quality is what really sets it apart. If you want monster bass, think Legend X or Trifecta. Z1R is more about finesse and liquid sub-bass than it is shock and awe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back