SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 11, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #14,716 of 15,290
How far do you push the Coreir tips on the nozzle? Thanks.
Just half as they are designed for.

Yeah I shared my experience with Pentaconn coreir few pages back, really the coreir made the imaging on Z1R so sharp like M9 / Mest / u12t
But combined with the large soundstage of Z1R's nature, they are more stunning.

And the mid bass also tighter with coreir without losing the powerful impact.

I can't find major downside with pentaconn coreir except the expensive price

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #14,717 of 15,290
Nov 11, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #14,718 of 15,290
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #14,719 of 15,290
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #14,720 of 15,290
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #14,721 of 15,290
Okay, this might have been discussed quite a bit. But this thread is 982 page long, so let me ask please.

I am considering Sony IER Z1r, Senn IE900/ 600, and Sony M9/ M7. Not limited by price, but would like to get one and stop thinking for a few years. I enjoy high frequencies if they are not too spicy. So if the earphones are a bit on the bright side, that is okay. Preferred genres are movie soundtracks, classical, art rock (e.g. Radiohead), electronic jazz fusion etc. Which one do you think would be the best in terms of sound quality?

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #14,722 of 15,290
Just half as they are designed for.

Yeah I shared my experience with Pentaconn coreir few pages back, really the coreir made the imaging on Z1R so sharp like M9 / Mest / u12t
But combined with the large soundstage of Z1R's nature, they are more stunning.

And the mid bass also tighter with coreir without losing the powerful impact.

I can't find major downside with pentaconn coreir except the expensive price

OK you guys have convinced me. I ordered another set of Pentaconns, this time in L. Hopefully this time they work with Z1R for me, but if not, at least they were on sale and I'll probably be able to find something else to use them with anyway.

Okay, this might have been discussed quite a bit. But this thread is 982 page long, so let me ask please.

I am considering Sony IER Z1r, Senn IE900/ 600, and Sony M9/ M7. Not limited by price, but would like to get one and stop thinking for a few years. I enjoy high frequencies if they are not too spicy. So if the earphones are a bit on the bright side, that is okay. Preferred genres are movie soundtracks, classical, art rock (e.g. Radiohead), electronic jazz fusion etc. Which one do you think would be the best in terms of sound quality?

I have the Z1R, M9, and 600. I think Z1R would be your best bet. Not too spicy imo.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #14,723 of 15,290
How far do you push the Coreir tips on the nozzle? Thanks.
I ordered L, and it does not need any pushing, I just put it on like a glove. I would say all the way?

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #14,724 of 15,290

I would suggest Z1R, however, there is no substitution for demoing yourself. Everyone has a different taste, what I really like maybe a meh to others. Z1R is such a classical, if you can't demo, the most safe bet will be Z1R. Especially for movie soundtrack.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #14,725 of 15,290

Z1R: Great bass that sounds both immense and impactful at the same time. The mids, especially the lower mids are underwhelming, overshadowed by the bass and treble. Underrated treble, forward yet tonally accurate, slightly uncontrolled, shines and relaxes with powah. Cymbals may sound crashy, yet this contributes to a highly energetic listening experience. Isolation is subpar. Upper treble extension is limited with the stock tips. A minmaxing approach, and a masterclass in crafting a colored sound signature.

M9: Unique bass response that strikes a balance between a BA woofer and a DD driver. A bit leisurely and lacks punch but remains tonally accurate with superb lower mids. The mids are exceptional, relaxed yet still engaging if that makes sense. Treble quality is outstandingly good. Excellent isolation. To achieve optimal bass and a smoother treble response, foam tips and a shallow insertion are recommended. Studio monitor sound which still manages to sound enjoyable.

tl;dr it's all about how much you care about BASS

Haven't heard IE 900 but IE 600 is ChiFi sound in a Sennheiser IEM shell.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #14,726 of 15,290
Z1R: Great bass that sounds both immense and impactful at the same time. The mids, especially the lower mids are underwhelming, overshadowed by the bass and treble. Underrated treble, forward yet tonally accurate, slightly uncontrolled, shines and relaxes with powah. Cymbals may sound crashy, yet this contributes to a highly energetic listening experience. Isolation is subpar. Upper treble extension is limited with the stock tips. A minmaxing approach, and a masterclass in crafting a colored sound signature.

M9: Unique bass response that strikes a balance between a BA woofer and a DD driver. A bit leisurely and lacks punch but remains tonally accurate with superb lower mids. The mids are exceptional, relaxed yet still engaging if that makes sense. Treble quality is outstandingly good. Excellent isolation. To achieve optimal bass and a smoother treble response, foam tips and a shallow insertion are recommended. Studio monitor sound which still manages to sound enjoyable.

tl;dr it's all about how much you care about BASS

Haven't heard IE 900 but IE 600 is ChiFi sound in a Sennheiser IEM shell.
I can only add that I have both the ie900 and Z1R and the latter is a clear step above in almost every way - especially on quality of cables and connections. While the ie900 makes some songs sound like butter (almost too organic) and some classic music really good - with my sources (sources are also key) I’d sell them in hearth beat if I had to make the choice between the two.

Nov 11, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #14,727 of 15,290
The most safe bet would be the IE600, M7 or M9 for balanced sound (or safe?). The Z1R and IE900 are v-shaped so that is when perception and source matching comes in. I am fine with the treble on the Z1R, IE900 or A8000 (might as well include the Final Audio) but some have reported finding the treble too hot so yes demoing is important.

Demoing is also relevant given the Z1R size and strong cable ear guides affects the fit, people resorting to aftermarket compatible cables or E4UA adaptors

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #14,728 of 15,290
Sorry for miscommunication here, the pentaconn coreir should be pushed all the way until the end of the latex, meeting the brass material which is half of the nozzle, thats what I meant.

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #14,729 of 15,290
OK you guys have convinced me. I ordered another set of Pentaconns, this time in L. Hopefully this time they work with Z1R for me, but if not, at least they were on sale and I'll probably be able to find something else to use them with anyway.

I have the Z1R, M9, and 600. I think Z1R would be your best bet. Not too spicy imo.
Waiting for your impressions later sir

Nov 11, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #14,730 of 15,290
Coreir tips fit very loosely with Z1R. I just went back and took off Z1R from my ears, but I still felt one of my ears was blocked. It turned out that one of the Coreir tip stucked in my ear when I pulled Z1R out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back