SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #14,686 of 15,271
I only tried GM on showfloor environment so not a good reference point but I did find GM to be less unique than MSE and so did not think that it would add anything to my collection. If anything, universals MSE sounded closer to Z1R then customs MSE and I am glad I decided on the conversion.
Typo? Universal MSE sounded closer than custom, or the opposite?

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #14,687 of 15,271
Typo? Universal MSE sounded closer than custom, or the opposite?
No typo. I feel that universal MSE (which I do like) sounds closer to what Z1R sounds like (with a tinge of recessed mids) than customs MSE (which has mids slightly more forward).

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #14,688 of 15,271
Hi to all.
I collected information from all known ratings where the bass is better. Z1R is always among the best. But in bad guy - they have 8 points for the bass, the highest score is 9.1 for this indicator, and the Sony mdr-ex800st has 9. And I have a question - is the bass of the mdr-ex800st really better in any way than that of the z1r? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Nov 2, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #14,689 of 15,271
Hi to all.
I collected information from all known ratings where the bass is better. Z1R is always among the best. But in bad guy - they have 8 points for the bass, the highest score is 9.1 for this indicator, and the Sony mdr-ex800st has 9. And I have a question - is the bass of the mdr-ex800st really better in any way than that of the z1r? Thanks in advance for your answer.
It's cheap from what I can tell looking online comparatively ... but the fit looks strange in the ear.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #14,690 of 15,271
Hi to all.
Maybe HBB never update the scoring. Don't bother, I have both and have searched for the best bass IEM in my life, Z1R is second to none. The EX1000, Ex800st have big 16mm driver. They are great but more mid bass focus and not as fast as Z1R's. Z1R is more sub bass focus, with better quality and speed.
I compared with Sennheiser IE900 too, I like the IE900 but Z1R bass is more impactful, not overly quantity boosted, but quality bass with great texture and impact and speed, solid 9.5/10 for the bass for me. The lack of 0.5 is because of slightly mid bass bleed at 150hz, or just ignore my picky ideals.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #14,691 of 15,271
Maybe HBB never update the scoring. Don't bother, I have both and have searched for the best bass IEM in my life, Z1R is second to none. The EX1000, Ex800st have big 16mm driver. They are great but more mid bass focus and not as fast as Z1R's. Z1R is more sub bass focus, with better quality and speed.
I compared with Sennheiser IE900 too, I like the IE900 but Z1R bass is more impactful, not overly quantity boosted, but quality bass with great texture and impact and speed, solid 9.5/10 for the bass for me. The lack of 0.5 is because of slightly mid bass bleed at 150hz, or just ignore my picky ideals.
I agree the bass is very good, especially compared to the other IEMs you have to compare to; they are good too in their own ways, but not as deep and not in the body as much as in the ear. I feel, in a way, that Sony is extending the bass under the 20 Hz at times, even if the source doesn't have it. That's what it certainly feels like. The UMM is good, I have version 2, and it certainly is a fun listen, but it's not quite there.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #14,692 of 15,271
I found a surprisingly good pairing of a Mojo 2 feeding a Woo WA8 to the Z1R. Much better tonality, soundstage, and overall presentation than iBasso DX320 amp13 and amp14 nutube offerings.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #14,693 of 15,271
Duplicate post

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #14,694 of 15,271
Sooo, after many years of IEMs where i was advised to buy the Sony Z1R, I finally did so. The tales of fitment issues turned me off although I have big ish head and use size L tips. I opened the box, picked a pair of tips and let her rip.
No fitment issues at all, but really great musical performance and as advertised, great Bass.
I ordered the dedicated cable from Brise.They told me it would be two months, but I didn't care since stock cable was real good.
After I order from Brise, a reviewer told me that an upmarket cable was not needed. Should I cancel my order, or does the Brise cable help some???????

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #14,695 of 15,271
Sooo, after many years of IEMs where i was advised to buy the Sony Z1R, I finally did so. The tales of fitment issues turned me off although I have big ish head and use size L tips. I opened the box, picked a pair of tips and let her rip.
No fitment issues at all, but really great musical performance and as advertised, great Bass.
I ordered the dedicated cable from Brise.They told me it would be two months, but I didn't care since stock cable was real good.
After I order from Brise, a reviewer told me that an upmarket cable was not needed. Should I cancel my order, or does the Brise cable help some???????
I am not in a position to advise on this from first-hand experience, but from what I read, Z1R has the best stock cable SQ wise, the upgrade cables are mostly for improvement in the fitting. But I guess someone would argue Brise cable could bring some SQ improvement, I am perefectly okay with stock.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #14,696 of 15,271
Use the stock cable until it inevitably rots.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #14,697 of 15,271
The Z1R stock cable is probably the best stock cable of anything that I've used. I still believe that my silver Dunu Blanche is better sounding than the stock cable but not by much, the main advantage to me is the swapable tips and slightly better fit round the ears

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #14,698 of 15,271
I love the brise bsep cable. For me, darker background which elevates SQ Z1R. YMMV.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #14,699 of 15,271

The fear of Z1R's fit actually if I observed, happen mostly with they who that just try the Z1R on demo, or were trying with their friend's unit.

On contrary, those who personally have the Z1R, mostly or big percentage will find their own way with the fit

Why? Maybe because they that try Z1R didn't have enough time to figure out and tip rolling to have great fit while owner of the Z1R have more time to slowly tip rolling and feel the best fit. Once we get the "way", actually the Z1R fit is good enough at least for me. Not the best fit with that heavy zirconium but nothing to be scared of.

About the cables, there are multiple cases of faulty connector on the Z1R shell so I suggest be careful not to pull them with force or change cable too often. And as many user here stated, the default cable of Z1R is pretty decent.

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #14,700 of 15,271
Didn't take me too long to find the best way to wear the Z1R comfortably. I have small ear and tiny ear canal so I don't get why some people find the fit to be a deal breaker. Could be the weight ? Most other IEMs have bigger nozzles that can't go into my ear canal deep enough, except for Sony IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back